Future Universal Projects and Parks | Page 62 | Inside Universal Forums

Future Universal Projects and Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My goodness, an example of how crazy the theme park build biz is these days. And this is only one of many big American companies cranking right now both here and in China.

Wish someone would build his Wizard of Oz park outside of KC concept
1234708_10151843153594333_325715323_n.jpg~original

2Plan.jpg

Its a shame we most likely aren't getting one more theme park in Florida but I understand UC is busy with Beijing and Okinawa. Besides they don't have much to anchor or storyline for a third IP based park unless they base it off Legendary films.

Its a shame we most likely aren't getting one more theme park in Florida but I understand UC is busy with Beijing and Okinawa. Besides they don't have much to anchor or storyline for a third IP based park unless they base it off Legendary films.

They are building yet another park in Japan? That teeny weeny country???

Updated current project list big and small(only includes those with permits filed so far):

263- Owl Shop in Diagon Alley in USF
328- Lucy Exhibit Closing/Hello Kitty Experience in USF
340- Skull Island: Reign of Kong in IOA
402- Royal Pacific Resort Convention Space Expansion
533- Volcano Bay Water Theme Park
557- Utility Building near Despicable Me in USF
611 - Hulk Refurb in IOA
664- Sapphire Falls Resort
727- Twister Demo/Fallon Construction in USF
749 - NBA City Closing/New Restaurant
862- NBC Sports Grill & Brew Construction

Last edited:
Reactions: martymcflyy85
That teeny weeny country that has lots & lots of people with little actual living space, except for the country folk. Theme parks are a natural for them.

Yeah, but Okinawa has a relatively small population and tourism is a bit hinky due to US military bases and their land contamination.

So my question remains... is Universal building a theme park there... really?

Yeah, but Okinawa has a relatively small population and tourism is a bit hinky due to US military bases and their land contamination.

So my question remains... is Universal building a theme park there... really?
The tourism is huge for the Japanese. It's the Hawaii of Japan. And there's so little to do on the island to Americans who have to live there long term, they'd make so much money off of them. There's a lot more there than you'd think, and a lot that could be uniquely Okinawan Universal merchandise. I just got done living there for four years. They'd make plenty of money from Okinawans, Japanese tourists, and American service members. :lol: It's expensive to get off the island to do anything, even going to mainland Japan so a lot of people can't get to the other parks. It's farther than you'd think.

Guys I need your help. I posted in this forum a few weeks ago asking for advice in regards to seeking a job in theme park design. All of your responses were very helpful, but I have come to another dilemma. My dream is to design and build theme park lands and to do so I've come to 2 options. I would either major in architecture and set design or I can just go for a degree in theme park design. I am so torn because I believe I could do more with architecture and set design, but a degree in theme park design would help pave the way to a job easier. Any response would be helpful guys and I would really appreciate your help!!!

Guys I need your help. I posted in this forum a few weeks ago asking for advice in regards to seeking a job in theme park design. All of your responses were very helpful, but I have come to another dilemma. My dream is to design and build theme park lands and to do so I've come to 2 options. I would either major in architecture and set design or I can just go for a degree in theme park design. I am so torn because I believe I could do more with architecture and set design, but a degree in theme park design would help pave the way to a job easier. Any response would be helpful guys and I would really appreciate your help!!!

Is there a possibility to do architecture and set design then a masters in theme park design? That could open up A LOT of options even if you just do architecture and set design.

Reactions: ThreePack Shagur
I would either major in architecture and set design or I can just go for a degree in theme park design. I am so torn because I believe I could do more with architecture and set design, but a degree in theme park design would help pave the way to a job easier. Any response would be helpful guys and I would really appreciate your help!!!

I really recommend that you change your major to architectural engineering and then have two minors of both architectural design and then a separate art focus. Set design ain't going to help you much at all as theme parks are not "sets". They are real buildings that must follow all codes of safety and disaster stability.

If I could go back to 16yo Teebin, I would shake me and tell me to get any kind of engineering degree. Not just for theme parks but for anything. Engineering is really really valuable in any market.

Computer Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Landscape Engineering and on an on.

Did any of you here know that if you are a Landscape Designer, you cannot design the landscaping for any commercial property in most central Florida cities and towns. To do that, you must be a Landscape Engineer. I rest my case.

Reactions: gator
Guys I need your help. I posted in this forum a few weeks ago asking for advice in regards to seeking a job in theme park design.

What Teebin said.

And above all, choose a major that you're genuinely passionate about. There's a place for experts of all disciplines in theme park design, be it writers, musicians, engineers, and so on. You just need to really know your subject better than anyone else, and be able to clearly communicate your ideas in a method of your choosing (written word, renderings, hand-drawn sketches, etc.)

If I could go back to 16yo Teebin, I would shake me and tell me to get any kind of engineering degree. Not just for theme parks but for anything. Engineering is really really valuable in any market.

I wanted my major to business. My dad said no... he'd only help pay if it was a major that actually taught me a skill such as engineering. I ended up getting a really technical job with my 4 year degree but over the next 10 years advanced within my team. Now I run a profit center within the company (basically running a business).

Get an engineering degree, then go from there.

I can not say thank you enough!!!! The amount of questions just answered has me so excited to go on and start learning all I can. I love architecture and I know it's a lot of work to get an architectural engineering degree, but it will be all worth while when I'm using my skills to help build the lands we all have come to love and adore. If you guys could recommend a minor in the arts what would it be? Illustration, concept/graphic design, interior design??? Once again thanks so much! You LITERALY are helping me to get exactly where I dream to be. Ugh you guys are just awesome!

Illustration, it's more broad range and can encompass the others you listed. Just keep in mind that even though you get these degrees, there's a lot more work after that - interning, working an entry level job, etc - and this is a highly competitive market. There's so many "lifers" that it might be another 20-30 years before the job you want actually opens up.

Don't let that discourage you though, start small. None of the contractors are going to hire you for a project right out of college, it's too much of a risk for them. You'll be doing jobs that pay low, are hard to screw up, and are temporary - but in the end you'll be able to say you worked on it.

Most of the people I know in the business started on the graphics side then moved to drafting/3D visualization, and now work for contractor firms and will likely never work for Universal Creative themselves again. Think of Universal Creative as the director of a film - they know what they want, but without an experienced crew (contractors), they likely can't do a big budget project.

Status
Not open for further replies.