Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

General Discussion - Hagrid's Magical Creature Motorbike Adventure

Noticed them on opening day as well. One is definitely a Phantom highspeed camera and maybe an infrared dealie. Didn't think anything of it at the time, but now I'm starting to wonder what they're hoping to glean from high speed footage.
They were still there when I rode a week after opening too. That's when I took that photo.

They were still there when I rode a week after opening too. That's when I took that photo.
Super interesting. They're basically similar cameras to the ones Slo Mo Guys use on their Youtube. Could it be something flexing on the train that they're looking to catch in realtime?

Even after opening, this coaster is still an enigma. I love it.

Which isn’t the case either. The time for pleasantries is over. I’m Willing to give anything the benefit of the doubt, but eventually it’s time to call a duck a duck. The ride wasn’t ready, and it was a mistake trying to open it when they did.

1. If you have a problem with MY statement, @ me; not around me.

2. It very much is the case. Stating a fact isn't pleasantries. While the ride is not 100% and still opening later in the day, the downtimes are getting better (at least up until before I jinxed yesterday), as evident by the fact the people are not waiting 4-6 hours anymore, but instead 1.5-3 with the same amount of trains (and in some cases, some people have done the ride twice in one day). The whole goal is to get this ride up to running smoothly as close to 100% as possible. Arguing what they should have done differently doesn't fix what they can do now. If you want to do it, then go ahead, but that ain't my style.

I never said the riddle was solved, or that downtimes have been erased. Hell, I even admitted the rain expected later in the week might ruin the progress they've made. If you interpreted my statement as anything other than what it said, it's looking for a reason to fit your narrative.

3. You've had a bug up your behind ever since the opening of Star Wars. My best advice is to remove it ASAP.

Noticed them on opening day as well. One is definitely a Phantom highspeed camera and maybe an infrared dealie. Didn't think anything of it at the time, but now I'm starting to wonder what they're hoping to glean from high speed footage.
It was there Sunday as well

Perhaps they want to be able to stop the footage and go frame by frame without motion blur

Sorry to ruffle feathers, I'm just really disappointed this is happening.
This appears to be an A+ (or E+) attraction, and these operational issues need to be corrected ASAP.

I have faith they will pull it together soon.
It only opened less than two weeks ago

Last edited:
Sorry to ruffle feathers, I'm just really disappointed this is happening.
This appears to be an A+ (or E+) attraction, and these operational issues need to be corrected ASAP.

I have faith they will pull it together soon.

Yes we all want this to be pulling 2k an hour and open 9-10. My personal push back is from people saying this sort of opening is unprecedented, terrible, and something Disney would never do (and conversely Universal is offering poor service).

This is not the first ride to have issues and won’t be the last; Universal, Disney, Cedar Fair, Busch, Six Flags, etc.

Some days are better than other's for now plain and simple. They're still taming the beast and i don't expect more than another 2 weeks of the excessive downtime, maybe some still.

Yes we all want this to be pulling 2k an hour and open 9-10. My personal push back is from people saying this sort of opening is unprecedented, terrible, and something Disney would never do (and conversely Universal is offering poor service).

This is not the first ride to have issues and won’t be the last; Universal, Disney, Cedar Fair, Busch, Six Flags, etc.
The biggest takeaway from talking to people in the single riders line who were riding for a second time yesterday was how little this attraction is actually running on a given day. Open at 2 yesterday and the attraction was at capacity by 8 PM. Beyond that, there was multiple hours of downtime within the period of time that the ride was actually running yesterday too. Probably down about 45 minutes or so during my wait (just an educated guess) and when I walked up to ride it has been down for a reported two hours at that point according to TMs.

That's just not normal, even in the realm of new rides. I'm willing to give slack because of all the moving parts on this ride, but the ride clearly shouldn't even be in official opening at this stage right now. I firmly believe that the announcement of opening had everything to due with Warner Brothers. How else do you inform the cast and get them there for opening? Surely not on short notice.

The biggest takeaway from talking to people in the single riders line who were riding for a second time yesterday was how little this attraction is actually running on a given day. Open at 2 yesterday and the attraction was at capacity by 8 PM. Beyond that, there was multiple hours of downtime within the period of time that the ride was actually running yesterday too. Probably down about 45 minutes or so during my wait (just an educated guess) and when I walked up to ride it has been down for a reported two hours at that point according to TMs.

That's just not normal, even in the realm of new rides. I'm willing to give slack because of all the moving parts on this ride, but the ride clearly shouldn't even be in official opening at this stage right now. I firmly believe that the announcement of opening had everything to due with Warner Brothers. How else do you inform the cast and get them there for opening? Surely not on short notice.

RSR also was opening late and closing early for capacity. It is an outlier but not unheard of or unexpected for new rides.

Some days are better than other's for now plain and simple. They're still taming the beast and i don't expect more than another 2 weeks of the excessive downtime, maybe some still.

You're certainly the eternal optimist around here :)

I think 2 weeks is a wee bit too optimistic. I would wager we'll see regular opening towards the end of July but wouldn't be shocked if it was even longer to get this thing to capacity. If they can get all the trains on the track by HHN, I'd consider that a win.
As @Ryan said, it's all spilled milk at this point, so just take it for what it is.

You're certainly the eternal optimist around here :)

I think 2 weeks is a wee bit too optimistic. I would wager we'll see regular opening towards the end of July but wouldn't be shocked if it was even longer to get this thing to capacity. If they can get all the trains on the track by HHN, I'd consider that a win.
As @Ryan said, it's all spilled milk at this point, so just take it for what it is.
I mean it already shows with waits. People would only have dreamed of riding in 2hours just last week and less than that has been happening in the last few days. So Imo yes i can see a very nice turnaround in 2 weeks time but not to 100% of course. And ill be optimistic before pessimistic anyday :thumbsup:

I mean it already shows with waits. People would only have dreamed of riding in 2hours just last week and less than that has been happening in the last few days. So Imo yes i can see a very nice turnaround in 2 weeks time but not to 100% of course.

How much can we attribute to it actually being more reliable though?

How much can we attribute to it being better weather?

How much can we attribute to it having less demand than the opening days?

How much can we attribute it to opening at 2pm(!!)?

So yes... I think saying something is 2 hrs vs 4 hrs is an obvious improvement. But there are more factors at play than just reliability and it's hard to know where that improvement is coming from.
And I'd argue that once you remove weather as a factor; that simply by opening at 2pm this thing isn't much of an improvement at all vs opening day. That alone cuts their operational hours by ~40%.

And ill be optimistic before pessimistic anyday
The goal should be to not be optimistic or pessimistic but to try to view things as they are.
But yes, if I had to pick one, I'd hope to be an optimist. :toast: