Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

General Discussion - Jurassic World: The Ride

Excuse me but we had a similarly sized animatronic in Kongfrontation 30 years ago so I’m pretty sure they could do same/better practical now if they wanted.

I mean... Disneyland has a fire breathing, 45 foot tall animatronic dragon that raises and lowers out of a pit in 30 seconds or less. So correct, there would definitely be a way to represent this beast in AA form of some sort if it was wanted. Although I don’t think you’d be able to show the entire creature, or have it move realistically.

Excuse me but we had a similarly sized animatronic in Kongfrontation 30 years ago so I’m pretty sure they could do same/better practical now if they wanted.

You're referring to a dry AA with slow movements in a soundstage. How would you realistically create a 60-foot, fast-swimming AA eating a shark in one bite, breaching the surface of the aquarium to splash guests in their boats and have it hit the glass causing small cracks without the use of screens?

You're referring to a dry AA with slow movements in a soundstage. How would you realistically create a 60-foot, fast-swimming AA eating a shark in one bite, breaching the surface of the aquarium to splash guests in their boats and have it hit the glass causing small cracks without the use of screens?

Its action and articulation would obviously be redesigned, but its impact as a practical would be 10fold over an obvious computer graphic.

Its action and articulation would obviously be redesigned, but its impact as a practical would be 10fold over an obvious computer graphic.
It’s seems like someone doesn’t understand the logistics behind why something like that would difficult to pull off.

The aquarium does look way better in person. However for how long it lasts, I do wish it had more practical effects other than the water. I don't know what could really be changed at this point though. Ideally, we would have an AA Mosasaurus head come out of the water or the ceiling, but that might not be possible without totally rebuilding the aquarium structure.

Isn't it obvious? Just clone a real Mosasaurus. Problem solved.

The aquarium does look way better in person. However for how long it lasts, I do wish it had more practical effects other than the water. I don't know what could really be changed at this point though. Ideally, we would have an AA Mosasaurus head come out of the water or the ceiling, but that might not be possible without totally rebuilding the aquarium structure.
I'd like some effects that made it feel like it was really there using maybe speakers underwater and turning the base up to make the ground shake like its moving under you.
For me realistically this would be what I'd like to see added to that scene where it is now....if they could move it one day I'd move it to Predators Cove before the lift.

I'd like some effects that made it feel like it was really there using maybe speakers underwater and turning the base up to make the ground shake like its moving under you.
For me realistically this would be what I'd like to see added to that scene where it is now....if they could move it one day I'd move it to Predators Cove before the lift.
I completely agree. And I still contend that the first commercial for the ride the force of the Mosa "knocks" the boat. Which makes total sense, because it's a multi-ton animal that is able to crack that thick of glass, it should cause some kind of disruption. But, I feel outside of the inevitable adding of the Indom to the finale, these are easy fixes that could take this ride to the next level.

Is it that normal park guests don't have standards or is it that normal park guests are just like you and me? What a park opens a new ride normal guests want to experience it. Even if they don't like it after they've been on it (because they have standards) they must ride it to know.

I wonder how many people in line for Jimmy Fallen and Fast and Furious ride in Orlando are first timers who don't yet know how bad those rides are vs. those that just don't have standards.
I used to believe that guests didn't care about the quality of any ride, but they do. They just ride them because well, they are there already and if I already paid the ticket, I am riding every single thing possible. It is more evident in USH with the low ride count. You ride it just to ride something, but guests do get upset with the quality of rides. Sometimes management doesn't care. You hear comments when you get off subpar rides how people comment "all that wait for that?". People do notice and they still have wait times because what else is there to do?

I agree that parks need rides that people want to re-ride a lot of times. However, I still liked Twister and greatly prefer it over Fallon. I dislike Fallon for two reasons. One, it is yet another pure simulator in a park that already had The Simpsons Ride and Despicable Me. The other reason is that Fallon is completely unappealing to me as a theme.

Now, not to go too far off topic, but USH definitely needs to invest in things that have a high re-rideability factor. I am still completely puzzled over Kung Fu Panda Adventure. Shrek 4D was terrible and needed to go. However, replacing it with another theater attraction seems like a total waste. I know the Dreamworks Theater can easily be changed out for another film. However, it is still an attraction that will have very little appeal for people to do more than once for each time the film is changed.

The more re-rideable attractions are on the Lower Lot, and Mario Kart will likely be fun for a lot of re-rides also. On the upper lot, the only thing that is a must-do for me on every visit is Forbidden Journey. I'm not saying everything else on the Upper Lot is bad, I would just like some more thrilling attractions up there that I would like to go on multiple times each visit, so I will have more variety in what to do when I am at the park.

The Simpsons Ride would be much more re-rideable if the line wasn't so painfully slow moving.
I totally agree with you. Fallon is not funny and ratings prove that he isn't even that popular. That is why it is baffling to see a ride based on a not so hot show. One would understand if you did a Game of Thrones ride (that show is huge around the world) but a late night show that's not even that popular? Odd choice. I agree as well that Dreamworks theater was a huge step up from Shrek (that thing was just atrocious) but it's still another simulator with worse technology than many multiplexes. Projection Mapping is kind of cool but still, I always skip it.

I’m admittedly biased because the Fallon ride, and Fallon in general, reminds me of how NBC screwed Conan over royally. Fallon’s humor is the exact kind of comedy Conan’s been mocking ever since he started doing late night and the ride is no different. I’ve been on it and, divorced from my biases, it’s ok as a thrill ride but it’s not worth going over again. And being better than Twister isn’t exactly a high bar.
I agree. I soured on Leno and Fallon because of what happened to Conan.

It’s seems like someone doesn’t understand the logistics behind why something like that would difficult to pull off.
Well, condescension aside, that's exactly what theme parks are for. Many things in theme parks were deemed impossible until someone came up with a good idea on how to do it. Universal's best rides are impressive because you still can't believe the naivety which they approached the ride. FJ is just amazing on how Universal Creative pushed the bar on what was possible and they created the technology for the ride. I still see the complex ride system that it has and I can't believe they pulled it off. They are in the industry of make believe, not in the "meh, it's too complicated". I am not saying that we needed a full size Mosasaurus animatronic, hell I don't even know if a Mosasaurus scene was necessary at all, but to think on other solutions other than screens. Let's remember that in the Upper Lot, all rides rely heavily on screens and people dubbed USH as the screen capital of the world.

I

Well, condescension aside, that's exactly what theme parks are for. Many things in theme parks were deemed impossible until someone came up with a good idea on how to do it. Universal's best rides are impressive because you still can't believe the naivety which they approached the ride. e ber that in the Upper Lot, all rides rely heavily on screens and people dubbed USH as the screen capital of the world.

Exactly right. It’s not our place to sit here and say why things couldn’t be done, but rather why screens are no longer an acceptable crutch.

I used to believe that guests didn't care about the quality of any ride, but they do. They just ride them because well, they are there already and if I already paid the ticket, I am riding every single thing possible. It is more evident in USH with the low ride count. You ride it just to ride something, but guests do get upset with the quality of rides. Sometimes management doesn't care. You hear comments when you get off subpar rides how people comment "all that wait for that?". People do notice and they still have wait times because what else is there to do?
Yep. I agree. The long lines at subpar rides isn't due to guests not having standards. Most people do not read reviews of rides, see that many people don't like it and then avoid it. They go on the ride to see for themselves. So even rides with generally bad reviews maintain long lines for many years.

Unlike Jerroddragon who looks up reviews and then doesn't try a ride or attraction that gets bad ones, when I'm at a park I go on whatever I haven't been on before.

I completely agree. And I still contend that the first commercial for the ride the force of the Mosa "knocks" the boat. Which makes total sense, because it's a multi-ton animal that is able to crack that thick of glass, it should cause some kind of disruption. But, I feel outside of the inevitable adding of the Indom to the finale, these are easy fixes that could take this ride to the next level.
i totally forgot they kinda advertised the boat moving....wonder why that was cut. Maybe They'll do a Big Refurb the off season after Nintendoland opens to add more life to the ride.