General Movies & TV Thread | Page 26 | Inside Universal Forums

General Movies & TV Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Between The Blackening, No Hard Feelings, and the promise of the upcoming Barbie and Joy Ride (Joy Ride looks like a riot), the theatrical comedy is back in full force.
Saw joy ride- it’s the only one of those 3 that is doing lackluster in box office and will likely bomb.

It’s like The Hangover but in China, and not nearly as funny. And the third act is a confusing decision. Middle act is best but even then, I just had a couple chuckles.

Clearly some folks find it funny but compared to an all female cast like bridesmaids it doesn’t hold up for me.

This movie HIGHLY interests me so far.

The cast looks great!
I don’t know why because on the surface he seems so untalented, but I really like Pete Davidson in movies. It’s a paradox.

Saw Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken. For me it's on about Par with Elemental. Its a fine...film that you don't NEED to see but its a fine enough time.

The underwater stuff is well done and I do like the animation on many of the characters that make them feel almost claymation but the film is very much just a generic kinda story and feeling of many kids films.

No clue how they went from Puss in Boots....to this unless they were rushed.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Saw joy ride- it’s the only one of those 3 that is doing lackluster in box office and will likely bomb.

It’s like The Hangover but in China, and not nearly as funny. And the third act is a confusing decision. Middle act is best but even then, I just had a couple chuckles.

Clearly some folks find it funny but compared to an all female cast like bridesmaids it doesn’t hold up for me.

The cast looks great!
I don’t know why because on the surface he seems so untalented, but I really like Pete Davidson in movies. It’s a paradox.
It's because he played the dumb guy role on SNL for years. He is great though. Big Time Adolescence and The King of Staten Island are the two movies that comes straight to mind when thinking of him and I greatly enjoyed those. He was good in Bodies Bodies Bodies, too. Pete Davidson even was a scene stealer for me in Transformers: Rise of the Beasts and that was just him as a voice role (mostly playing off Anthony Ramos) as Mirage.

Reactions: Andysol
Guy who directed this also directed the theme park ride that opened in Japan a few years back. Godzilla has nearly the same design in this as he does in the ride, which is cool
Yeah the quick peek looks great. The effects are not bad in this short sequence so hoping for the best. Shin was good, but hoped for more.

Yeah the quick peek looks great. The effects are not bad in this short sequence so hoping for the best. Shin was good, but hoped for more.
SHIN is top 3 Godzilla imo. Made the character terrifying again like 1954 did.

I don’t think this one will have the same effect, but it’s always nice to see a Godzilla movie from Toho

They also are talking about how they want to make a licensing push with the character this year…would love for a UOR Godzilla ride

SHIN is top 3 Godzilla imo. Made the character terrifying again like 1954 did.

I don’t think this one will have the same effect, but it’s always nice to see a Godzilla movie from Toho

They also are talking about how they want to make a licensing push with the character this year…would love for a UOR Godzilla ride
We can only dream.

Has anyone watched From on Amazon prime/MGM+? First season really hooked me and ended up binge watching 2 season in 2 1/2 days and I rarely binge watch anything. It's kinda of a horror drama and people have said it reminds of the show Lost. I've never seen Lost so I can't make comparisons but From had me on the edge of my seat trying to figure out what is going on.

Reactions: Jamesh22
So I was able to get my situation with AMC A-List figured out. I tweeted at them last night and they responded today. I let their help team know everything and sent them some photos and they were very helpful. They put 20,000 points into my Stubs account and made it so I was able to buy a ticket to the Dolby showing of Dead Reckoning at 3pm that I had wanted to go to without even using one of my A-List reservations.

Also, because they put 20,000 points into my account, I was able to redeem $20 in rewards so I grabbed a soda and nachos for free.
The new MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE is excellent, in case anyone was on the fence about it.
I’ll second this big time. If I didn't have A-List, i'll admit I would not have went to see this movie. Why? I've never seen a Mission: Impossible movie in my life, so why would I care about this one right? Well, since I didn't really have to pay anything aside from a little gas in getting to the theater, I figured why not.

As I watched the movie, I could tell that there was some callbacks to some things that were clearly just going over my head so watching the prior six movies would've benefitted me there, but honestly, even with this being my first M:I film, I had a blast with it and it stood on it's own pretty dang well, much like Across the Spider-Verse, despite both being Part One of a Two-Part finale.

The entire cast was great, but specifically Tom Cruise, Hayley Atwell, and Esai Morales. The stunt team deserves a ton of credit, the stunt choreographer, cinematographer, direction. It was all there.

Saw Joy Ride after Dead Reckoning. The movie as a whole had some really good comedic moments. Moments is definitely the key word there though. There was more than a few jokes that fell a bit flat. The movie did have some heart too it, but there was also enough plot conveniences where I started to get a little annoyed. It did have a bit of that Hangover vibe to it for sure, but it wasn't as good as The Hangover, but also wasn't as bad as Hangover 2 or 3.

And yeah, this doesn't come anywhere close to Bridesmaids or Crazy Rich Asians which is also female heavy (and has the same writers). This movie probably only cost around $40M to make, but yeah, it's not even gonna hit that.

It's not my kinda film but Sound of Freedom seems pretty impressive for a film I never heard about until 2 weeks ago

Last edited by a moderator:
Sound of Freedom has a lot of disturbing controversy surrounding it so please let’s tread very carefully in the discussion of it.

Thank you for cutting it off at the pass beforehand. Should just stick to box office numbers on that one.

Me? I just want to see Cillian Murphy get some scientists to make a world changing bomb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nico
It's being boosted by billionaires buying up entire theaters of tickets
Dan talks about this

He wont be pushing that until he has proof and used Captain Marvel as an example of a film also being said it had inflated numbers from sold out but empty theaters

The most interesting part is the buying tickets for others. I kinda wonder if other films will try this. I think a24 could benefit from a system like that

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
It’s literally the “Super PACS buying up thousands of copies of politicians books so their numbers get juiced and they can be on ‘New York Times Bestseller’ list” grift. It is not a mark of quality.
If you can PM who is reporting that. Because Dan says he has heard things from articles but no evidence of that happening outside from the pay it forward style ticketing (which even then Dan says doesn't account for more then 10 percent of the box office being reported)

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
You guys are treading on some mighty thin ice here.

It’s controversial, yes. It’s also an abnormal way for movies to make money on ticket sales. No need to have that conversation here though since at the end of the day we all know the conversation isn’t really about movies but politics.