1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Great Movie Ride Closing?

Discussion in 'Disney's Hollywood Studios' started by quinnmac000, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

John Wayne rides off into the sunset for the last time....The Yellow Brick road goes on forever....Dorothy holds Toto, as she smiles with her friends Tin Man, Lion, & Scarecrow...Bogartt & Bergman Play It Again Sam, and leave on the plane TOGETHER....The Gangsters WIN...Mary Poppins umbrella gets inside out from the Kansas tornado wind....Gene Kelly slips on the water in Singin In the Rain and wrenches his knee...The Berkely dancers change unto Rockettte outfits as Universal hires them to star in Jimmy Fallons Race Through NY attraction...The Wicked Witch torches the Munchkin Village.....Tarzan & Jane have Roast Cheetah for their last dinner.....The Alien eats Sigourney Weaver...and Mickey steps from Fantasia into his very own Cartoony Land.....THANKS for the MEMORIES!!!...:):cheers: :thumbsup:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    Coasted, Alicia, Freak and 1 other person like this.
  2. Cwoolboy

Cwoolboy Veteran Member

At least we'll always have Mann's. Here's looking at you, kid.

Mike S likes this.
  3. UNIrd

UNIrd Premium Member

Know where I could find this?

Went to the closing of GMR last night. It was cool to see it with a 2 hour wait (I had a FP for it). Probably the first time I've seen that since the early 90's. The guests reactions to it and applause at the end actually was loud and thunderous (though the onboard acting was as poor as ever). I did think it was a nice touch when the guide came back after the temple scene and said, "Not bad for my last movie." Even though I didn't think I would be, it IS sad to lose the one slow moving dark ride after all.

Ashhanbre likes this.
  4. Brian G.

Brian G. Staff Member Administrator

Well I got to ride it a couple times yesterday. Seems like our rides was also the last rides for our guides, who completely lost emotion at the finale/exit. I honestly wished it didn't close, as GMR was one of my favorites and have a lot of fond memories riding it - but it is what it is.

Coasted, Ashhanbre, belloq87 and 6 others like this.
  5. Nick

Nick Staff Member Moderator

Supposedly GMR was run at maximum capacity throughout it's entire last week of operation. It saw over 22,000 guests on it's last day.

Mike S, belloq87, Joe and 2 others like this.
  6. Scott W.

Scott W. Premium Member

That's awesome.

Nick and Mike S like this.
  7. Brian G.

Brian G. Staff Member Administrator

Here's some photos from my last ride.

IMG_3308.JPG IMG_3514.JPG IMG_3604.JPG IMG_3515.JPG

Coasted, UK-Trigg, Joe and 5 others like this.
  8. belloq87

belloq87 Veteran Member

The middle ground between light and shadow...
    Great pictures! And to think, we're losing this kind of detail and craftsmanship in favor of projection mapping... :doh::frown:

Ashhanbre likes this.
  9. LiamRowbotham

LiamRowbotham Newcomer

Goodnight, sweet prince. You'll be missed but loved forever. That's a wrap.

10. Ashhanbre

Ashhanbre Rookie

These are the types of rides that us screen haters love. Very sad to see them go.

11. UK-Trigg

UK-Trigg Veteran Member

I won't miss the ride that much, don't get me wrong I liked it but it was kinda dated and times move on, would be nice if they repurposed some of the sets, props and AAs elsewhere though, even if it was just in the lobby at say all All Star Movies.

However, I think the biggest shame is the facade. We spent years demanding that the BAH get torn down so we can see the chinese theatre facade only problem now is that the facade will not represent the new ride in any way whatsoever. at least with TGM it kinda fit.