Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Grinchmas 2013 Future?

So I was there today and heard the rumor again. No Tree Lighting. On the audition page they don't mention the Tree Lighting and the needed characters like they did last year. Only "Grinchmas Dancers".
Hmm, this doesn't sound good.

I wonder if they're planning to replace the tree lighting with a musical dance number? Perhaps a longer, stretched out show like Florida?

I have to admit, i'm really dying to see the new Grinchmas set-up. Last year completely blew me and my group away, they even said they had preferred USH over Disney when it came to Xmas.

its true. no tree lighting. Heard it was because of all of the construction they cannot get all the items in time for it. sad day. maybe they are planning something even better next year?

What does all the construction have to do with Grinchmas plans? Grinchmas has its own production team, just like HHN, and they should be or should've been planning the event and getting the tree and other things ready MONTHS ago! I just find it hard to believe that with all the construction, HHN has time to come to fruition, and yet a bit simpler event like Grinchmas doesn't have time to get ready? There's still a month and a half to go until Grinchmas!

What does construction in the park have to do with planning an event like Grinchmas, which will be in an unaffected new part of the park?

Just bring back last year's tree, put it in the middle of plaza, and there you go. I'm obviously oversimplifying the situation, but I don't see us not getting a tree lighting. Put the tree in the middle of the Plaza, or make it so the tree goes over the Universal Plaza Tower somehow. Just make it happen...

Corporate < studio < production < theme park < seasonal events

If they're getting shortchanged on the tree lighting, you can blame someone in the hierarchy above. I guess we'll have to wait to see whether the rumors actually play out.

I'm obviously oversimplifying the situation, but I don't see us not getting a tree lighting.
You're simplifying things to a fault. Like the Transformers incident, hindsight is always 20/20. Don't make judgements without understanding the entire picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
What does all the construction have to do with Grinchmas plans? Grinchmas has its own production team, just like HHN, and they should be or should've been planning the event and getting the tree and other things ready MONTHS ago! I just find it hard to believe that with all the construction, HHN has time to come to fruition, and yet a bit simpler event like Grinchmas doesn't have time to get ready? There's still a month and a half to go until Grinchmas!

What does construction in the park have to do with planning an event like Grinchmas, which will be in an unaffected new part of the park?

Just bring back last year's tree, put it in the middle of plaza, and there you go. I'm obviously oversimplifying the situation, but I don't see us not getting a tree lighting. Put the tree in the middle of the Plaza, or make it so the tree goes over the Universal Plaza Tower somehow. Just make it happen...
its the plazas fault... they were not sure if it was going to be ready in time. I guess they grinchmas team did not get a timeframe and would not be able to get the materials in time for the tree. (I would think theyd keep it in a warehouse somewhere but i guess not :(   )

Ok but the Plaza was completed on what, September 3rd? And I'm sure the Grinchmas team had an idea that it would open by then. And Grinchmas is the last few weeks of December. I find it hard to believe that Plaza construction is stalling Grinchmas plans....

Universal Plaza opened to the public on September 3, but it still wasn't fully finished. The project languished behind schedule, so it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't couldn't provide a definite date of completion to the Grinchmas crew.

Last edited by a moderator:
The entire bleacher set up is rented. Setup by Bigger Hammer. The tree and all set dressings are stored - you can see the frame in the warehouse pakinglot on San Fernando Road. If the vendors were told today that they had four weeks to set up they could. It isn't like they build anythng from scratch.