Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Grinchmas 2014

Okay so I'm planning on going this Saturday night, but I won't get there until around 5:45 pm. Will the tram tour and Waterworld show still be operating since the park is open until 10 pm? I've been wanting to do both of those so bad in the dark!
Both should still be operating. The Studio Tour will close a couple of hours before park closing, so I'd keep an eye out for that. WaterWorld normally has a few evening showings during peak season, so you should be okay there too. You can check the show guide for the showtimes.

Good luck if you're visiting this Saturday, especially that late! It'll be incredibly busy! If you don't have an annual pass, maybe consider getting their "end of day" Gate A pass that they sometimes have.

Both should still be operating. The Studio Tour will close a couple of hours before park closing, so I'd keep an eye out for that. WaterWorld normally has a few evening showings during peak season, so you should be okay there too. You can check the show guide for the showtimes.
Thank you!

Good luck if you're visiting this Saturday, especially that late! It'll be incredibly busy! If you don't have an annual pass, maybe consider getting their "end of day" Gate A pass that they sometimes have.
I'm an annual pass holder so it really doesn't matter to me if I only get to do a couple things over a few hours. If I get to do JP, Waterworld and the Studio Tour I'll be happy.

Okay so I'm planning on going this Saturday night, but I won't get there until around 5:45 pm. Will the tram tour and Waterworld show still be operating since the park is open until 10 pm? I've been wanting to do both of those so bad in the dark! 
I think the last WW show is around 8:00/8:30PM. I love the night shows!

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Given that information, I would definitely hit up the Studio Tour first. They usually have an earlier closing time than WaterWorld.

Good luck!

After reading the excellent Grinchmas Overview and Review by the Inside Universal team, I thought I'd post a few observations as well. I visited the park for parts of 3 days during the two weekends of Grinchmas to date and really enjoyed it.

• The overall presentation in the Universal Plaza is fantastic. From the shows, the activities, the amazing Christmas tree, the Grinch meet-and-greet, and the multitude of Whos (both the tall and the small) walking around for photos and interactions, it's a festive area and the heart of the Grinchmas offerings.
  • The Whoville tram show is largely unchanged, but I'm totally okay with that. The show is such a cool part of the Studio Tram Tour, as I miss all the past elements of the Tour that featured live actors performing scenes. Taking advantage of part of the sets from the movie and incorporating live actors is a really unique experience.
  • Understandably, the massive construction around the park has limited the scope of what Universal can do. Although I wasn't a fan of the snow play area, I know that was a big draw for a lot of people. And I absolutely miss (really miss) the large Tree Lighting shows of years past, but realize there's just no space to do that now.
  • However, some smaller holiday entertainment offerings are also no longer being offered and feel like cuts that didn't have to be made. I'm speaking particularly of the Dickens Carolers that would usually perform on the double-decker bus as well as the Tuba Quartet. There certainly is room for these acts on Baker Street. While not necessarily "Grinchmas" in theme, they added to the overall holiday atmosphere in the park.
  • The park definitely is crowded--and last weekend more crowded than the previous weekend--but I thought the Universal team did a good job managing the flow of guests around the park. If you're planning to visit, be prepared for crowds and bring your patience. Having a practical attitude about crowds before going in can make a big difference in your experience.
  • Speaking of crowds, having just one formal meet-and-greet location for the Grinch causes long wait times. At one point last Sunday, the posted wait time was 70 minutes! One tip (and not-very-well-known) is that a walkaround Grinch appears just inside the park entrance sometime during the afternoon and you can usually get a quick photo with him as he's walking about and greeting guests entering the park. This sure beats waiting in a long line at the Universal Plaza. The down side, is that you never know if he'll actually be hanging around the main entrance when you want. But I saw him out on two different days, so hopefully the park continues this offering.
Overall, I enjoyed visiting the park and am planning to go back one more time before the Grinchmas season ends!

Last edited by a moderator: