Guardian's of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout | Page 28 | Inside Universal Forums

Guardian's of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Such fluid movement in that little garbage panda.:p:ears:

It is quite fluid, but if you compare to the video version of the spiel, the animatronic isn't quite there, yet. If this were imitating a human, it would be deep in the uncanny valley. Still, it's pretty good compared to most other theme park animatronics.

Indeed it is! I still like twilight zone better though.

Oh yeah for sure. But I've heard that Disney is tired of paying for the rights to use Twilight Zone (understandable since younger generations have no idea what it is) so it wouldn't surprise if the dump it for a generic haunted hotel theme.

Oh yeah for sure. But I've heard that Disney is tired of paying for the rights to use Twilight Zone (understandable since younger generations have no idea what it is) so it wouldn't surprise if the dump it for a generic haunted hotel theme.
I don't see Orlando's getting changed anyway since there would be no place in the story to explain the 4th dimension sequence.

Got the chance to ride it four times yesterday right before my pass expired. I absolutely loved this ride. I'm really impressed with how much they were able to change in just four months. It's incredible to think that Tower of Terror was barely open this year and now it's been completely reskinned.

I'm going to address the queue and pre show. I liked all of the displays that were shown in the lobby area, but the general feel of it felt a little bland to me. Can't really explain why, but I felt like they could've done a bit more with the lobby area. Despite that, the pre show was probably half the reason why I loved this so ride much (Which I never feel that way). Usually pre shows are the necessary evil that I have to face on some rides that feel like it's long in the tooth. I know the story and just want to get on the dang ride, but the first time guests won't have a clue what's happening. The Rocket AA was so impressive and easily the best one in the resort, IMO. Just the way he moved, "hit" that pipe, and ducked under it was so great. Looking at that just doesn't get old. The boiler room was pretty similar, but I was surprised how much they changed in there. The ominous tone was still kept from Tower of Terror. I'm pretty sure I heard the same creepy noises from ToT while loading in the gantry lift.

Now the ride itself was far better than Tower of Terror. The main issues I had with that ride were that the pacing was WAY too slow and the drops were too tame and predictable. The drops only lasted for barely even half the ride…..actually more like a third. With this, the moment the doors closed after you went backwards, it was a straight up thrill ride from start to finish. None of this lame minute of "build up". When ToT went up and down, I didn't really feel the drops. I always walked off feeling bored and going, "Eh. Should be more intense.," Here, when it went up and down, I could really feel it dropping. It actually felt thrilling and satisfied the need for some unpredictable good thrills. The music also made it way more fun. I also loved how they used the scenes as "in-between" action as opposed to doing it like ToT did and obstruct the pacing.

Now the scenes looked pretty cool. I thought the use of "SCREENZ!" was very well done. It looked like and actual window into where the GotG were held. I loved how the distortion was exactly in sync with the elevator. The power generator scene was also pretty cool. The only main criticism about the ride involved the main screen we always go to. While it was well done, I would've preferred we see more scenes. From the start, I was hoping to see more than just one room while all of the action was happening, so I was a little disappointed about that. Being that they used a screen, I felt like they could've very easily cheated it by changing the lighting or have digital mapping to mask the surrounding sets andy have the screen change to another room. It would've been nice to see the Collector panicking that his displays are escaping or seeing all of the displays run loose in the hallway or something. Also, I noticed that there were hardly any differences with the scenes. It felt like the same thing each ride. This was my only real criticism about the ride.

So yeah, I enjoyed the heck outta this. I personally enjoy this more than Florida's ToT. Way more fast-paced, longer thrills, more intense and unpredictable, better scenes, and an awesome pre show. The only thing I give Florida's ToT is that it's the original and that it has that cool fifth dimention sequence (Which apparently causes the ride to break down all the time). Other than that, the pacing is too slow and the ride is pretty tame. I'm happy they didn't give in to the skeptics (I'll admit I was even one of them) and went through with this. If Disney does this good of a job on a resin of an existing ride, imagine how awesome the other Marvel rides will be build from the ground-up.

The part in the preshow with Rocket stealing the walkman was hilarious. My friend made us stay back behind the herd so we didn't miss it and I was cackling at his little arm swooping down to steal it! Also we kept crying out, "THESE HANDS DON'T SCAN" all day. So A+ on their end because I saw those darn shirts everywhere.

Reactions: awhen
I have to say, taken in isolation it's not as hideous as I was expecting. Of course it doesn't exist in a vacuum and it makes for some really odd sight lines across the park. Walking toward Carthay Circle from Grizzly Peak is just bizarre, but as long as there isn't a clear juxtaposition with some other element it doesn't look bad.

The ride is good. Inside is nicely done. The screen images are top-notch. There's no reason not to do it if you're there, other than it's now in "rope drop or wait 2 hours" mode. My daughter rode it, who wouldn't go near the old Tower because she's not a big fan of suspenseful or spooky.

Reactions: Speed
So I got to ride this today... keep in mind I had only been on DCAs ToT 2-3 times, but I was just on it last year so my memory is pretty clear.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I actually don't mind the ride. To me, the only place I even noticed it around the park as "sticking out" was while on RSR. The colors seemed to blend in fine and I think pictures really make the building look worse than it is.

As to the ride experience, I thought the Rocket AA in the Pre-show room was a great idea and it worked great. Boiler room was the same old thing pretty much (was the Yeti in the queue the old Yeti from Matterhorn?).

Getting to it though, I really enjoyed it. I certainly wouldn't want DHS' ToT to receive the same treatment, but that's because it's always been the better version. DCA's ToT always felt lacking and the randomization and energy this brought made me excited about this ride at DCA again. I thought the screens were a fairly brilliant way of diverting your attention and making the drops even more fun as you could be caught off guard.

Probably best way to describe this: the ride is pretty much ToT going through a Sci-fi phase and an avid fan of 70/80s music at the same time. :lol:

I honestly wouldn't even call that an "unpopular opinion" at this point. I feel like most people really enjoy it. I know I (and everyone I know that's ridden) loved it. It's definitely an improvement on DCA's version of Tower.

Reactions: awhen and Nick
I honestly wouldn't even call that an "unpopular opinion" at this point. I feel like most people really enjoy it. I know I (and everyone I know that's ridden) loved it. It's definitely an improvement on DCA's version of Tower.
I haven't really been following reviews or anything going in as I wanted to formulate my own opinion so I was assuming people still hated it :tongue:

Reactions: HereWeGo
Never been on DHS's, so this one was really something I held close to home to me, especially retaining the California theme. I hope the inevitable Marvel land really brings this are closer together however.

Last edited:
So I got to ride this today... keep in mind I had only been on DCAs ToT 2-3 times, but I was just on it last year so my memory is pretty clear.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I actually don't mind the ride. To me, the only place I even noticed it around the park as "sticking out" was while on RSR. The colors seemed to blend in fine and I think pictures really make the building look worse than it is.

As to the ride experience, I thought the Rocket AA in the Pre-show room was a great idea and it worked great. Boiler room was the same old thing pretty much (was the Yeti in the queue the old Yeti from Matterhorn?).

Getting to it though, I really enjoyed it. I certainly wouldn't want DHS' ToT to receive the same treatment, but that's because it's always been the better version. DCA's ToT always felt lacking and the randomization and energy this brought made me excited about this ride at DCA again. I thought the screens were a fairly brilliant way of diverting your attention and making the drops even more fun as you could be caught off guard.

Probably best way to describe this: the ride is pretty much ToT going through a Sci-fi phase and an avid fan of 70/80s music at the same time. :lol:

I think this has proven to be a surprise big hit. I'm sure during D23, they said it's currently the best reviewed ride in all of Disneyland. I'm heading at the start of September and I can't wait.