Guardians of The Galaxy Vol. 3 | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Guardians of The Galaxy Vol. 3

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I’ll post more thoughts later

I don’t know I liked the Rocket stuff but everything else….I didn’t think the music choices were near as strong as his other projects and just generally found the film too long

Glad people loved it but to me it was the weakest of the three films
I did definitely think it was a tad longer than it needed to be.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I’ll post more thoughts later

I don’t know I liked the Rocket stuff but everything else….I didn’t think the music choices were near as strong as his other projects and just generally found the film too long

Glad people loved it but to me it was the weakest of the three films

At least this is the best nebula has been. She had a great arc. The most development she had. She was a full caring character with complex emotions and a great heart.
Drax will always be dumb but the ending was very touching lol. Finding his purpose was very heart warming.
That's the thing, this movie for me has the most heart and most connections between characters of all of them .
This is the closest starlord and rocket have been. The most all these characters have loved each other. Maybe that's why it's so special for me. I truly felt the love they all have for each other.

Just got back, it probably is the weakest of the three but thankfully not by much (disclaimer: I'm in the minority who likes Vol 2 best). Easily the best sub-series in the MCU, so I hope this is the theatrical end.

That said, I wouldn't be totally opposed to an episodic series following the new team.

As everyone has said, the Rocket scenes are masterful. Linda Cardellini in particular completely steals the show.

I'm glad they didn't just make the villain another Thanos.

I'm conflicted over none of the Guardians dying--I generally like when movie series have, ahem, courage, but I can't think of how it wouldn't have been repetitive of the Vol 2 ending...

Most importantly, all three movies felt DISTINCT from each other.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeventyOne and Nick
Just got back, it probably is the weakest of the three but thankfully not by much (disclaimer: I'm in the minority who likes Vol 2 best). Easily the best sub-series in the MCU, so I hope this is the theatrical end.

That said, I wouldn't be totally opposed to an episodic series following the new team.

As everyone has said, the Rocket scenes are masterful. Linda Cardellini in particular completely steals the show.

I'm glad they didn't just make the villain another Thanos.

I'm conflicted over none of the Guardians dying--I generally like when movie series have, ahem, courage, but I can't think of how it wouldn't have been repetitive of the Vol 2 ending...

Most importantly, all three movies felt DISTINCT from each other.
I think, considering the box office is looking down so far from Volume 2, I’d be surprised if they did another movie with the new team anytime soon.

So glad others loved it to me, its like many of the newer MCU films...I just don't want to watch it again

The things I liked was mainly Rocket. I think his story is very well told and very sad and its so good that the rest of the film kinda feels so weak and uninteresting that I just get bored when its not his story.

I think Pacing is my issue is one of my major issues with newer MCU films. Like I want every director to watch Avengers Infinity War and copy that if your going to make a film over 2 hours. Like There is not one boring or not needed scene in Infinity War and most the jokes are so good they are memes now.

This film also I think kinda lied in its marketing, I was excepting characters to die and they had like 5 fake outs and to me thats boring, a planet blew up but none of the main characters died and the thing at the end with Peter,,,,feels like suck a middle finger to me.

I think the film can't really find the tone it wants, it can't go tooooooooo dark but also isn't as funny as the other films.

I also think the music choices in this are by far the worst of any of Gunns Projects before, even his Christmas special had a few cool fun songs I've never heard or fit well into the story here....no sleep until brooklyn makes not much sense and is soooo over played when the Minions studios is using the same song as James Gunn it feels like he kinda phoned in the music because the last films had it.

I think the villain was good but would have worked better in a show where we can get to see him more. He can create and destroy planets, cool....how? Where is he getting these resources to create societies just to tear them down, Im not against the idea I just want to see more and also wish he was set up in prior films

Anyway, if you love it enjoy. But watching this I was just not having much fun most the film and feel like every MCU film now is less about the moment we are in and more about setting up the next movie or team.

Also Starloard is coming back....lol. WTF? I thought Pratt and everyone said they would not return without James....guess that was a lie

So glad others loved it to me, its like many of the newer MCU films...I just don't want to watch it again

The things I liked was mainly Rocket. I think his story is very well told and very sad and its so good that the rest of the film kinda feels so weak and uninteresting that I just get bored when its not his story.

I think Pacing is my issue is one of my major issues with newer MCU films. Like I want every director to watch Avengers Infinity War and copy that if your going to make a film over 2 hours. Like There is not one boring or not needed scene in Infinity War and most the jokes are so good they are memes now.

This film also I think kinda lied in its marketing, I was excepting characters to die and they had like 5 fake outs and to me thats boring, a planet blew up but none of the main characters died and the thing at the end with Peter,,,,feels like suck a middle finger to me.

I think the film can't really find the tone it wants, it can't go tooooooooo dark but also isn't as funny as the other films.

I also think the music choices in this are by far the worst of any of Gunns Projects before, even his Christmas special had a few cool fun songs I've never heard or fit well into the story here....no sleep until brooklyn makes not much sense and is soooo over played when the Minions studios is using the same song as James Gunn it feels like he kinda phoned in the music because the last films had it.

I think the villain was good but would have worked better in a show where we can get to see him more. He can create and destroy planets, cool....how? Where is he getting these resources to create societies just to tear them down, Im not against the idea I just want to see more and also wish he was set up in prior films

Anyway, if you love it enjoy. But watching this I was just not having much fun most the film and feel like every MCU film now is less about the moment we are in and more about setting up the next movie or team.

Also Starloard is coming back....lol. WTF? I thought Pratt and everyone said they would not return without James....guess that was a lie
Pratt said it would be weird without Gunn but he would do it.

Everyone says the movie is too long but if I was editing the movie, I don't know what I would cut. Personally I enjoyed everything.
Maybe cut part of the ending stuff but there was a lot of heavy emotional stuff in the end.

I would cut the Nathan Fillion stuff but that part was the funniest of the movie.
The ending was a little too long but it had a point to make, Saving "everyone"

Everyone says the movie is too long but if I was editing the movie, I don't know what I would cut. Personally I enjoyed everything.
Maybe cut part of the ending stuff but there was a lot of heavy emotional stuff in the end.

I would cut the Nathan Fillion stuff but that part was the funniest of the movie.
The ending was a little too long but it had a point to make, Saving "everyone"
The Nathan Fillion stuff feels like it was made so he could throw actors he liked into the film. His current partner is in that, Nathan is in it and rat catcher actress is also there as the red alien.
They all did great but was it needed? Errrr not really

Like i said in my spoiler post, I wish every MCU writer/director had to model off Infinity war it juggles so many characters plots and never is boring or waste your time every scene has a purpose. Even End game which has an amazing ending was as tight of a film.

While not Perfect No Way home also has amazing pacing and action scenes I'll remember like at least I think about the Doc Ock Bridge Fight and Goblin vs Peter Condo fight all the time because they are just great moments and the movie has the guts to allow the characters not to just grow but have consequences.

Saw it on Tuesday night with a packed theater and I really enjoyed it! The first GotG is always going to be the best one, but I enjoyed this more than Vol. 2. Shame it's not doing as well as it should, but hopefully positive word-of-mouth will help pick it up. I want good movies to succeed.

The biggest criticisms I had of the film was the soundtrack wasn't as good as the first two. I felt like half the time the songs played they were just being played for the sake of being played. There were a few times the song choices worked like Creep, No Sleep 'till Brooklyn, and In the Meantime, but even hearing We Care a Lot felt like it was there for the sake of being there.

So I was totally and mentally prepared for Rocket to get off'd. There were also other "fake-out deaths" with Quill and Drax, but I was happy to see none of them got killed off and have proper closure. The Rocket flashbacks were pretty heavy and it was refreshing to see a darker, emotional, and more serious tone for a Guardians movie. I really wished that they would let those heavy moments "breathe" and not let them get choked out by quickly going to a goofy joke.

I will say that after I saw Endgame, I felt like it was a mistake to bring back Gamora. She really should've stayed dead to add some emotional weight to the movies. She really didn't seem to help much in the movie than just yell at everyone. I feel like all bringing her back to torment Quill just kinda made her more unlikable. I kinda understand wanting to bring her back in Endgame to make sure "everyone" was in it, but this movie only solidified my opinion of just off'ing her for good.

Also...the High Evolutionary....what a bad-@$$ villain. THIS is what Kang should've been. Kang is an example of tell and don't show, but this guy is all show and don't tell. He created a whole planet for a "perfect" society only to blow it all up. This guy might be the strongest villain of the Guardians series. He is pure evil and I love that they have a good antagonist for this film. Kang, take note. SHOW, don't tell.

Also, during the final post-credits scene, when the screen said "The legendary Star Lord will return" someone in the audience yelled, "HOW?" Lolol

Again, really enjoyed this and might try to watch again. If not, I'm finishing the trilogy on my Blu Ray collection. IMO, this and No Way Home were the only actually good MCU movies post-Endgame. In terms of future MCU watchings, the only MCU developments I'm kinda interested in are Secret Invasion and Loki. I sadly think this is going to be the last good MCU film to come out in a long time. There aren't really any MCU movies coming out anytime soon that I'm really interested in.

Last edited:
The second one just wasn't really it imo. Wasn't a bad movie, but it was just okay. Volume 1 & 3 are top tier imo.

What I'm saying is that the few people who actually like Vol 2 best--again, besides me--don't seem to be crazy about Vol 3. I just love the self-contained nature of Vol 2, it just truly feels the most like a personal labor of love--I would actually say it's the MCU movie that's most different from how Scorsese, Tarantino, Villeneuve etc. view the MCU.

What I'm saying is that the few people who actually like Vol 2 best--again, besides me--don't seem to be crazy about Vol 3. I just love the self-contained nature of Vol 2, it just truly feels the most like a personal labor of love--I would actually say it's the MCU movie that's most different from how Scorsese, Tarantino, Villeneuve etc. view the MCU.
I mean, I feel like for the most part Volume 3 is pretty standalone as well. That probably sounds ridiculous considering a few plot points, but it's just the way James Gunn crafts these movies. Even though this is made as the finale to a trilogy, you could watch each individual movie and bring someone who knows nothing about the MCU to watch with you and they'd enjoy all three movies. Most MCU movies aren't made like that these days which is part of their current problem.

• Love
Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
Guardians 2 is just very slow and underwhelming. Not bad but feels like it could have been a side episode like the Christmas special. Doesn't feel like a real full movie.

I will love these characters no matter what. Always, but guardians 2 felt like a mid season episode of walking Dead where not much happens. ( Or any other show where stuff slows down.) Ego was cool but it feels empty. Goes on and on. The part with Rocket is more interesting.
Guardians 1 and guardians 3 are very fast moving. Have a lot going on.

My problem with GotG2 was the saccharine moments like Star Lord playing catch with his "Dad". I understand what they were going for, but the execution got a major eye roll and groan from me.

I have yet to see 3.

Reactions: OrlandoGuy
Guardians 2 is just very slow and underwhelming. Not bad but feels like it could have been a side episode like the Christmas special. Doesn't feel like a real full movie.

I will love these characters no matter what. Always, but guardians 2 felt like a mid season episode of walking Dead where not much happens. ( Or any other show where stuff slows down.) Ego was cool but it feels empty. Goes on and on. The part with Rocket is more interesting.
Guardians 1 and guardians 3 are very fast moving. Have a lot going on.

Part of the charm. You have a franchise packed with movies that, to extend your analogy, feel like season finales. So getting a more slice of life focused movie...it feels almost like an indy flick in big studio blockbuster's clothing.

Plus, the best Stan cameo ever.

GotG 3 brought in $60.5M and only dropped 48.9% in it’s second Weekend, giving the movie the best hold of any Multiverse Saga film, beating out Shang-Chi’s 54% drop.

The 48.9% is the best Marvel hold in general since Black Panther’s 44.7% drop back in 2018.