Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Guest Brings Gun to Animal Kingdom

There's a few acts on wikipedia which you can read through (british gun laws are complicated), any actual firearm (apart from airsoft's) pretty much needs a license which have strict procedures to gain one. The law is completely different when it comes to self-defence as well, for example a farmer shoot a burglar and got sentenced for manslaughter, where as I think it's different in the states. Just because it's seen as excessive force.

Ive always wondered why police and other people don't shoot someone in their knees to neutralize them, i mean unless the person is carrying a gun and threatening them, why not take them out at the legs?

I really don't think more laws would have prevented this. If you think that, you are incredibly naive or biased to begin with. Concealed Carry permits require quite a bit of effort and do require a background check (at least in Louisiana they do.)

The parties to blame here are:
1) The man who brought in the gun. He was negligent. A reasonable prudent person would not bring a loaded weapon into a theme park.
2) Disney. As HTF already pointed out, guests can get trespassed for taking pictures but not bringing in a firearm?
3) Cops. But not knowing the laws, it may have been up to Disney to press charges.

Luckily, no one got hurt, but Disney really should be ashamed of themselves.

Ive always wondered why police and other people don't shoot someone in their knees to neutralize them, i mean unless the person is carrying a gun and threatening them, why not take them out at the legs?

Police shoot to kill, if its gotten far enough to get an officer to shoot then that's what needs to be done for society.

- - - Updated - - -

I really don't think more laws would have prevented this. If you think that, you are incredibly naive or biased to begin with. Concealed Carry permits require quite a bit of effort and do require a background check (at least in Louisiana they do.)

The parties to blame here are:
1) The man who brought in the gun. He was negligent. A reasonable prudent person would not bring a loaded weapon into a theme park.
2) Disney. As HTF already pointed out, guests can get trespassed for taking pictures but not bringing in a firearm?
3) Cops. But not knowing the laws, it may have been up to Disney to press charges.

Luckily, no one got hurt, but Disney really should be ashamed of themselves.

Begin the Twitter assault!

Well, ideally, you would if you had cyborg eyes or pinpoint accuracy. You have a higher percentage of hitting/neutralizing someone with a shot to the chest. Bigger target.

If you have to shoot someone, you will get in just as much trouble if you killed them vs. just severely wounding them. There are a few things they look at after someone shoots, and it basically sums up to did he have to shoot? Could the man have been stopped with just a baton. I'm sure this guy got in some sort of trouble since the 493 which regulates any security/gun license has pages upon pages of regulation. They do do tests to determine if you are mentally ok to carry a firearm. But honestly I don't think people need them. People say "Oh you think crooks will follow gun laws??" but whenever you hear about an incident they either legally bought the gun or got it from someone who legally did 99% of the time. The people involved in black market deals are not dumb enough to do random terrorist attacks. I've never even seen any kind of black market organizations, I know they exist, but I imagine they like to stay pretty well damn hidden and not give guns to psychos that will help reveal their business. So while some people may still be able to acquire a gun, it won't be nearly as many.

I'm not sure about all Six Flags parks but Six Flags Great America has metal detectors and very much needs them. Though I'm not in favor of Disney having metal detectors, I'm still ok with the bag check areas just need to be more thorough.

Six Flags Great Adventure also has metal detectors too.

This is really upsetting. The fact that he brought a loaded gun onto such a bumpy ride is pretty scary. It could have easily went off during the ride. I'm not a fan of guns and I don't think that everyday "normal" people should be allowed to carry them. Disney really should have handled this better.

So, the idiot has spoken and claims he brought the gun to WDW to protect himself and to be prepared. Just another paranoid freak who has to cling to his gun in order to feel safe walking out of his house. Gun fetishes are not healthy. Too many people have obsessions and fetishes with guns. D us a favor, stay locked inside your house if you thin the world is such a dangerous place you need to carry a gun with you at all time. Here is a hint: if it is your time, then no gun you carry with you will stop that from happening.

Hopefully, all local theme parks will start realizing to take more time to ensure guests are not bringing in items like guns or any illegal items. Far too often, I've seen too many people let through bag checks with very little searching. Guests need to realize they are on private property and subject to the rules and policies that are set by the company. This should have never happened, but I can guarantee you this isn't the first time this has happened, this won't be the last time something like this happens, and it would be a damn shame if the only time something was done about this is after someone goes on a shooting spree in one of the parks.

I see metal detectors coming soon... very soon. Of course, that will not help the plastic gun crowd that is currently erupting. (and you know it is)

Actually, the plastic gun does require a metal piece in it before it can be used, so hopefully any brain dead moron who thinks they will be able to pack heat for the coming of the Commies will get caught with an unlicensed hand gun when trying to sneak into places with metal detectors.

Coming from a country and lifestyle where I'm not exposed to guns, it's bloody terrifying. I suppose if someone is nuts enough to carry a gun in WDW then what little thing is gonna set them off into a firing frenzy.

Maybe I'm a bit paranoid! But guns scare the **** out of me, not gonna lie...

So, the idiot has spoken and claims he brought the gun to WDW to protect himself and to be prepared. Just another paranoid freak who has to cling to his gun in order to feel safe walking out of his house. Gun fetishes are not healthy. Too many people have obsessions and fetishes with guns. D us a favor, stay locked inside your house if you thin the world is such a dangerous place you need to carry a gun with you at all time. Here is a hint: if it is your time, then no gun you carry with you will stop that from happening.

I agree with you. I am all for the second amendment, and am in full support of being able to own guns. But seriously, if you feel you have to carry at a Disney park......You have some deep seeded issues in your head. There is absolutely no reason for a gun there. The chances (before this idiot is now showing how easy it possibly can be to get guns in the park) of you actually needing to use it are zero. Not next to, or near zero, it is zero. Outside the park, by all means carry and protect yourself. I get that. But inside Disney. I wish I could say that I cannot fathom a person whose mind is so diluted that they believe they have to do so. But I live in Arizona, some of the most relaxed gun laws you can find. And sadly know a lot of people who "Don't feel safe anywhere" and tote around their guns in the stupidest of places.

You can change gun laws all you want, but its not going to stop wrong doers and idiots from still possessing them and doing stupid stuff.

Don't be afraid of the gun, be afraid of the person carrying it. This guy doesn't sound smart enough to deserve a gun. He failed to know Disney policy on weapons and haphazardly put it in a pocket resulting in losing it. He didn't break any laws, but he definitely didn't think.

I just hope this doesn't result in pat downs and metal detectors.

This is another instance of where are our priorities in life do not make a damn bit of sense! You can bring a loaded fire arm with hollow point rounds into a family oriented area like Disney. Then lose the loaded gun making it accessible to children who could of hurt or even killed themselves or someone else within seconds of finding it. Then go back to find your gun, display a piece of paper that anyone can get saying I'm "intelligent" enough to carry this fire arm in a concealed method into massive crowds. Then not only get your firearm back, keep your license, and not face any charges!? On top of that only be slapped on the wrist and asked to leave for the day and not TRESPASSED!!!

Meanwhile people get trespassed for taking construction photos on guest mid ways, wearing shirts with profanity, walking behind the scenes of abandoned buildings for life!! This guy brought a loaded firearm into a themepark and lost the thing! Someone wasn't going to offended or misguided by this, someone was going to get seriously hurt or killed if this turned south. This was so close to being a tragedy it's not acceptable. It's not funny, it's not tolerable, and it should of resulted in disciplinary action from Disney, the Orange County Sheriffs Office, and the US Government. He should of been trespassed for life, fined if not arrested for negligence, and his concealed permit revoked.

I am a firm believer in the right to bear arms but this country needs to do a better job at controlling who has this right. Bringing a loaded firearm into an environment with thousands of little children is the definition of negligence and he should of been made an example of. Some of this may seem harsh to some but god forbid this happens again. It won't seem so harsh then when someone's child shot and killed himself by accidental discharge on a family vacation. I'm disgusted at how this was handled by Disney, I'm disgusted you can be banned for the other things I listed but not this. You can bet I will be mailing in my thoughts to Disney today!

Done

This, thank you HtF :thumbs:

As for the gun control debate, I'm going to stay out of that for now. I will state that any concealed carry permit holder should always be aware of the location and state of their weapon. Stuffing it in you pocket is not a viable carry option IMO. When he realized that he had the weapon he should of either asked if there was an onsite locker he could use or have returned it to his vehicle.

I do know some people carry their weapons into the park for only one reason. The late night trip back to the car. Are they being paranoid. That's not up to me to figure out. :shrug:

the scary truth is that Im sure there are tons of people that bring firearms into the park without anyone knowing every year. Don't think this is an isolated incident. People are crazy out there. A lot of people that feel like they "need" a gun to protect themselves, probably should not own a gun in the first place. They are the first people to shoot first and ask questions later. Imagine if you have a disagreement with this person at the park, maybe he cut the line, or maybe he had too many drinks at the park and got beligerent. Pretty scary at the all the possiblities here if you think about it.

How many don't get caught?

How would we ever know this number, they don't get caught. :lol:

I am not against guns, most of my family is from West Virginia and own multiple guns. They do not carry them with them most of the time, but they shoot them on their property (they own 40+ acres of land), go hunting, etc. During our family reunions I have shot the guns and my husband always goes down and shoots them. Now with kids I stay up with the LOs. I personally do not own one, but I have often thought about taking my grandfather's old gun. But I would lock it up in my home and practice safe gun ownership practices. Realizing that anyone can break into my home, I realize nothing is full safe. Now with kids I am less likely to do this and will have my sister keep the gun. She is a hunter and owns guns and already has the gun safe and everything.

But I feel gun OWNERS can be very DUMB at times. Either not locking the guns in a safe that their kids do not know how to get into, carrying the guns places they have no business carrying them at, losing them, etc. You hear about this ALL the time. I really think we need some way to take guns away from people when they are not responsible. Like this person should lose their gun rights for a certain period of time. Because really, he is still going to be stupid, he has already proven that. Nothing happened to him to punish him, so he is still going to be stupid.

Not all owners are dumb and not all owners should be punished, but we do need some stricter rules to prevent idiots from owning guns.

Last edited:
so they made him leave the park? considering Animal Kingdom is a half day park thats not too big of a penalty :mickey2:

Yep, and he came back the next day, this time without his gun.

Are you kidding me? If this had happened at a school, he'd be facing criminal charges right now! This is so messed up that I can't even comprehend what the policy-setters at Disney are thinking. What does this tell people about security at theme parks? Honestly... :doh: