Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not good support for an argument.

Better support is it took 2.5 years to replace Jaws (mostly water) with Diagon Alley. Volcano Bay is still not done and a mixed bag at that.

Like I say, it depends how quickly they'd want to replace it. Jaws would have had to have its structures, surrounding area and pit filled in safely, not to mention Diagon had to have the waterfront built on top of the area itself. Volcano Bay was still operational in a year - which when you consider the amount of attractions and other things to worry about it's a fair point. My initial point was that I'm sure that Universal aren't going to try and go head to head with Star Wars and so opening earlier in the year would allow for the Forbidden Forest attraction to flourish for longer.

At the end of the day who knows, especially with Universal. If they want it done by Spring I'm sure they could do it, and if not then we will have to wait a little while longer. :)

It'd be nice if they dueled at least the last day but it's whatever. RIP!

And onto the new hotness... I'm excited myself to see the insanity that UC and WB have in store. Hoping I get to meet a certain friendly half-giant as well!

Dueling Dragons used to be my favorite attraction and I hated Potter especially not being a potter fan BUT, I hated the DC Makeover.

That being said it's bitter sweet seeing this leave. It was my second favorite icon after the Enchanted Oak. So this is a forever closing for me of Lost Continent, the part I enjoyed.

Whatever this coaster is is either going to be huge with a large building, or a two story building with another smaller attraction nearby or shops or something since DC has so much land. Either way, I'd welcome this change. Make Hogsmede more immersive.

Reactions: SkiBum
Dueling Dragons used to be my favorite attraction and I hated Potter especially not being a potter fan BUT, I hated the DC Makeover.

That being said it's bitter sweet seeing this leave. It was my second favorite icon after the Enchanted Oak. So this is a forever closing for me of Lost Continent, the part I enjoyed.

Whatever this coaster is is either going to be huge with a large building, or a two story building with another smaller attraction nearby or shops or something since DC has so much land. Either way, I'd welcome this change. Make Hogsmede more immersive.

Especially since Dragon Challenge lost the dueling inspect because some guy lost his eye while the dueling took place and it went so bad that Universal Orlando decided to remove the dueling permanently. It's bad that the theming is out of place and we already have the Incredible Hulk coaster anyway.

I just noticed your sig. Nice seeing two Carowinds coasters in your top 12. I live near that park :)
I was born & raised in Charlotte and lived there until 2006, then GA before moving to FL in 2009. I've been back a few times to revisit my old home park. I'll be back for a quick stop on my way to Ohio next year. I'm hoping for the Vortex conversion so I have something sort of new to experience coaster-wise...lol

I think the fact that they point out that you'll encounter creatures in the ride semi-confirms that it'll be Forbidden Forest based. Not that that's a surprise. I don't think that there are many more iconic creature areas they can use. It's also somewhat telling that they didn't mention anything but the ride. I'd think if we were going to see a Great Hall restaurant or something of that magnitude, it would have been mentioned at least as a "more surprises await" in the land type deal. We may just be getting the ride.

I'm expecting at least a new dining experience...Perhaps the Shrieking Shack....Ideally, The Great Hall restaurant would be stellar

Isn't the SFX coaster a little too similar to Gringotts for another Potter ride though?

I always saw Gringotts as more of a prototype, an appetizer for when Universal actually decided to build a real SFX coaster

You worked your way up to Revenge of the Mummy without any problems, and now it's one of your favorite attractions. You'll be fine with DC. :thumbsup:
Come to think of it, IOA dosen't have a Mummy counterpart....Spiderman has Transformers, Kong has F&F, Cat has MIB....Here's hoping it's that thrilling

The real question I have, is do they re-do the FF scene from FJ, or leave it as is?

Reactions: Joel
My primary concern is if there's a height requirement (very likely as it's a coaster) then this doesn't really make Potter more accessible to more demographics.

My primary concern is if there's a height requirement (very likely as it's a coaster) then this doesn't really make Potter more accessible to more demographics.
If the Mack inverted is any indication, the two parks it's at- one is a 36" requirement and one has no requirement. That's definitely a different demo. Content-wise; however, it might be a bit much for toddlers.

So...here's an little eulogy I wrote on Dueling Dragons/Dragon Challenge on some other message boards:

Dueling Dragons/Dragon Challenge shutting down is, in a way, kind of a small tragedy in of itself.

Unlike Universal Studios Florida, which has essentially gutted out every original attraction that was present at opening day (with the lone exception of ET Adventure), Islands of Adventure had always done a good job of maintaining all of its rides and attractions it had since it first opened. The only things we've lost over the years were mostly minor stuff like the Triceratops Encounter and Island Skipper Tours.

So yeah, Dueling Dragons is the park's first true casualty in that regard. It's just a shame how much the attraction deteriorated over the years. It used to be a premier attraction, a unique one of a kind coaster(s) with luxurious and detailed theming for its queue line when it was apart of The Lost Continent. Then of course, Harry Potter came along and gutted that area, and then it eventually lost the ability to duel, finally ridding the ride(s) completely of its soul. And now here we are, and it's all going to disappear completely.

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is no doubt a huge accomplishment for theme park design and I'm looking forward to seeing this new attraction, but, as an old fan of Islands of Adventure, I kinda hate to see how much was sacrificed for it. I'll always miss walking by the two awesome fire and ice dragons that used to be in front of Dueling Dragons/Dragon Challenge...

battling-dragons-dueling.jpg

So...here's an little eulogy I wrote on Dueling Dragons/Dragon Challenge on some other message boards:

Dueling Dragons/Dragon Challenge shutting down is, in a way, kind of a small tragedy in of itself.

Unlike Universal Studios Florida, which has essentially gutted out every original attraction that was present at opening day (with the lone exception of ET Adventure), Islands of Adventure had always done a good job of maintaining all of its rides and attractions it had since it first opened. The only things we've lost over the years were mostly minor stuff like the Triceratops Encounter and Island Skipper Tours.

So yeah, Dueling Dragons is the park's first true casualty in that regard. It's just a shame how much the attraction deteriorated over the years. It used to be a premier attraction, a unique one of a kind coaster(s) with luxurious and detailed theming for its queue line when it was apart of The Lost Continent. Then of course, Harry Potter came along and gutted that area, and then it eventually lost the ability to duel, finally ridding the ride(s) completely of its soul. And now here we are, and it's all going to disappear completely.

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is no doubt a huge accomplishment for theme park design and I'm looking forward to seeing this new attraction, but, as an old fan of Islands of Adventure, I kinda hate to see how much was sacrificed for it. I'll always miss walking by the two awesome fire and ice dragons that used to be in front of Dueling Dragons/Dragon Challenge...

battling-dragons-dueling.jpg
This is my display photo on some other forums I'm on. Always will be one of my favorite original icons.

Status
Not open for further replies.