Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion | Page 648 | Inside Universal Forums

Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d assume exactly that, with a test car.

That is what I saw in the picture I mentioned above. A full view of the area in front of the entrance, showing those two wait time & warning signs, test car, some pumpkins, a barrel and a wheel barrow. And a sign for express/single rider. I hadn't seen pictures of that posted before so sorry if it was already common knowledge :)

Nothing broke, something caused more wear down than expected.
Why are you saying nothing broke? The quote from Joe was, "one component on the trains was being word down quicker than expected and broke during a test." If it were just more wear than expected they wouldn't have stopped all testing and called an all hands on deck meeting. It's obviously being resolved and won't effect the opening so all is well. Also part of the fun of a theme park forum before an attraction opens is active speculation and rumor discussion. No one is saying the sky is falling and a lot of us are driven by sheer curiosity about these types of things.
Not to be specific but one section of the ride was producing more forces than anticipated. One component on the trains was being worn down quicker than expected and broke during a test this week. All hands on deck meeting was had this week to solve it. If I had to guess they’ll beef up that component and update the preventative maintenance schedule.
Thank you so much for this bit of info. Now the speculation can shift to what component on the train broke. :idea:

Reactions: HPFred
As far as I have been aware and what I have read so far nothing until that post has hinted towards a specific break, that coupled with the fact I have worked on rides and the health and safety that goes into running them tells me nothing broke.

I could be wrong, I just don’t see it.

Reactions: allaboutthatchase
As far as I have been aware and what I have read so far nothing until that post has hinted towards a specific break, that coupled with the fact I have worked on rides and the health and safety that goes into running them tells me nothing broke.

I could be wrong, I just don’t see it.
It depends on what your definition of "broke" is but if something has worn to the point of needing replacing before it can operate safely it is effectively "broke." It doesn't need to be something catastrophic to fall under the category of a broken component.

It’s bad news either way...wondering if the ride will have to be tamed down to avoid this....
I sure hope that doesn't happen! Honestly taming it down would be way more work than just bulking up whatever component broke. Changing the speed of the launches for example would have a butterfly effect and most likely require the entire test and adjust phase to begin from scratch. I doubt they would do that.

Reactions: Andysol and HPFred
President of Intamin told me all about it at IAAPA one year. Dudes a total legend. Supposedly it wasn't so much a danger to the human body, although it was uncomfortable, but it was stressing the trains badly and thats why it was nixed. Same reason I305 had its first turn reprofiled. Trains were coming back with soft melty wheels because of the forces and speed going around the original turn. Gotta give them credit for pushing the boundaries. Not even RMC will push the limits the way Intamin does when it comes to vertical g forces.

Honestly I'm thrilled that they're discovering these issues with Hagrid. That's how you know you're getting a solid, memorable ride. Looks like it will be more punchy than Cheetah Hunt, which is a poor example of an Intamin if I do say so myself.

Yeah a crazy wild ride that overstresses the trains is great if you want a wild ride, but if you are paying $20+ million for a coaster, you don't want that. These things need to be reliable. If they are having to be reprofiled or wheels are melting, Intamin is essentially having the parks pay to do the R&D. That's a lot of why no one in this country buys coasters from Intamin any more. Yeah, they are great rides, but you are going to have to live with downtime and other issues. So far, the rides they've built for Universal have been pretty tame, so less chance for problems from going too far. I'm curious if this ride will be the one where Universal regrets using Intamin. Great ride, but too much downtime.

Reactions: Andysol and HPFred
Status
Not open for further replies.