Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion | Page 87 | Inside Universal Forums

Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that no one here can definitively say what the "story" was on Dragon Challenge, aside from having something to do with the Tri-Wizard Cup, tells you loads about the quality of the retheme.

But seriously, it's going to be an immersive family coaster. I know something like this is unheard of in Orlando, but I...

... wait...

Big Thunder? What about it? It's an immersive family coaster?

So... this is probably going to be something akin to Big Thunder, only in the woods and likely with animatronics? It my have some actual show scenes too?

But that aside, family coasters aren't thrilling. There's no way...

What? Space Mountain? That's a family coaster? Okay, yeah... I guess that's pretty thrilling. But those are Disney rides. Universal hasn't done a thrilling family ride with practical effects. Men in Black? I guess so. Maybe. Jaws? Jaws doesn't count. Earthquake? Kongfrontation?

None of that matters. An immersive coaster families can ride together, themed to Harry Potter, can never work. I want a 300 foot hyper-coaster.

The fact that no one here can definitively say what the "story" was on Dragon Challenge, aside from having something to do with the Tri-Wizard Cup, tells you loads about the quality of the retheme.

But seriously, it's going to be an immersive family coaster. I know something like this is unheard of in Orlando, but I...

... wait...

Big Thunder? What about it? It's an immersive family coaster?

So... this is probably going to be something akin to Big Thunder, only in the woods and likely with animatronics? It my have some actual show scenes too?

But that aside, family coasters aren't thrilling. There's no way...

What? Space Mountain? That's a family coaster? Okay, yeah... I guess that's pretty thrilling. But those are Disney rides. Universal hasn't done a thrilling family ride with practical effects. Men in Black? I guess so. Maybe. Jaws? Jaws doesn't count. Earthquake? Kongfrontation?

None of that matters. An immersive coaster families can ride together, themed to Harry Potter, can never work. I want a 300 foot hyper-coaster.

now imagine they tore down Big Thunder and replaced it with the 7 Dwarfs mine ride...THAT"S what im concerned about. Hopefully, those concerns are proven silly. We don't know anything at this point.

now imagine they tore down Big Thunder and replaced it with the 7 Dwarfs mine ride...THAT"S what im concerned about. Hopefully, those concerns are proven silly. We don't know anything at this point.
Except Dragon Challenge wasn’t Big Thunder. It wasn’t immersive. It wasn’t a family ride. Dragon was only one of the three things Big Thunder accomplishes - thrilling.

What needs to be recognized is that this isn’t a downgrade. It’s something different. Just because it’s a “coaster” doesn’t mean it’s stuck on a spectrum between Hulk and Woody. This is looking to be something Universal hasn’t done before.

Except Dragon Challenge wasn’t Big Thunder. It wasn’t immersive. It wasn’t a family ride. Dragon was only one of the three things Big Thunder accomplishes - thrilling.

What needs to be recognized is that this isn’t a downgrade. It’s something different. Just because it’s a “coaster” doesn’t mean it’s stuck on spectrum between Hulk and Woody. This is looking to be something Universal hasn’t done before.
Yet I'm quite certain if you asked everyone who rode both which they preferred a vast majority would favour Dragons.

As for determining upgrade vs downgrade, I feel we should wait until more information is available. While I'm a little pessimistic, I have full faith in UC to deliver on whatever our Comcast overlords set them out to create. We know nothing :lol:

Yet I'm quite certain if you asked everyone who rode both which they preferred a vast majority would favour Dragons.

As for determining upgrade vs downgrade, I feel we should wait until more information is available. While I'm a little pessimistic, I have full faith in UC to deliver on whatever our Comcast overlords set them out to create. We know nothing :lol:
Unless you ask the people who are too terrified to ride Dragons, but love the dickens out of Big Thunder.

No way I would ever put Dragons over Big Thunder (esp. DLs BTM with the projections). Ever.

Coaster-wise, Dragons wins. As a complete package? Gimme Big Thunder over almost anything out there

That's the big thing to remember here. Dragons for the most part was just a coaster. What's coming is what I hope will be Mummy on steroids with the space required for something huge and taking good advantage of all the advances in ride technology over the past 10 years plus Universal have JK Rowling to keep everybody on their A game.

Reactions: Iwalkpluto
Dragon Challenge is gone and it has been gone since the dueling aspect was taken out. It really wasn't anything unique afterwards. If I want big thrilling coasters I can go to a plethora of parks for that. When I go to Universal and Disney, I am looking for immersion.
My favorite coaster is Mummy because of the theme of the queue and exciting ride. The freakin' ceiling catches fire, how awesome is that??

I was one of the last people to ride DC on closing day and the queue only increased substantially due to the rain and the fact people were shouting that it was the last day for the roller coaster. Even in the morning the wait time was short. It wasn't a popular ride anymore. Personally I am hoping for something akin to the Mummy where it is exciting enough for everyone but not too crazy that I have family members opting out for a second ride.

Plus going on rides is a lot more fun when you can share the experience with everyone in your family.

If the choice was between a ride on Big Thunder or DC, for me it would be a really easy choice. Big Thunder hands down. Great theming and way more fun.
This further proves my point that for Theme Park enthusiasts, painted concrete is more important than the ride itself.

This further proves my point that for Theme Park enthusiasts, painted concrete is more important than the ride itself.
Theme park rides are influenced and enhanced by 'painted concrete'. There's a reason that rides like The Mummy and Big Thunder Mountain are widely beloved, and it ain't because of their groundbreaking coaster layouts.

The integration of theming with thrills is literally what Disney and Universal set out to do in their parks. There have been and will continue to be coasters with better layouts all around the world, and that has been the case for decades. The Matterhorn was never meant to be more thrilling than The Cyclone.

Yes but a mundane roller coaster isn't made that much greater by putting painted concrete around it. And it certainly doesn't make it more thrilling than a well designed and engineered roller coaster that relies solely on itself to generate thrills, and that's fine. I love great themeing but when we make comparative statements the biased in this community usually comes down to which one has more painted concrete.

Reactions: Kraken&Manta
Yes but a mundane roller coaster isn't made that much greater by putting painted concrete around it. And it certainly doesn't make it more thrilling than a well designed and engineered roller coaster that relies solely on itself to generate thrills, and that's fine. I love great themeing but when we make comparative statements the biased in this community usually comes down to which one has more painted concrete.

I'm not so sure. Take away the concrete from BTM and it's a very mundane coaster.

But even the dragons, individually, weren’t the best coasters. They may not have relied on painted concrete, but they relied on each other. Once they couldn’t duel, they were not long for this world. To be upset at the loss of mediocre inversions when its replacement can be a high quality, inclusive experience is looking a gift horse in the mouth.

And yeah. Theme parks rely on painted concrete. That’s why they’re called theme parks and not Six Flags... I mean amusement parks.

Last edited:
I liked Dueling Dragons... A LOT thought it was a great coaster! However as others have stated theme parks are all about being immersive so I'm excited to see what is on the horizon. If we get another ride on par with Mummy in thrills and immersion I'll be super excited! Rides like Mummy, Space, Splash, Everest, Haunted Mansion, Jurassic Park, Forbidden Journey etc... are why going to Orlando is so excited. Rides like Rip Ride Rocket and Dragons are a lot of fun and I'm glad they are/where there, but I'd take the others over DD any day :)

Status
Not open for further replies.