Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't just want the Shrieking Shack. I also want a full Madam Puddifoot's tea shop, and the only thing that happened there was that Harry made Cho cry.

A tea shop would make Universal money (return on investment), whereas the Shrieking Shack would only cost Universal money (loss - no return on investment).

Yes, the creatures that inhabit the Forbidden Forest may provide sufficient theming in and of themselves. But why would you prefer nothing but rocks to an iconic building that is an integral part of the Hogsmeade landscape? At worst, I could see a "Meh, it would be cool to have a forced perspective Shrieking Shack in the distance but I can do without it," but all this vociferous outrage in defense of structures representing "interiors of the forest"? What's next, a proposal to insert a generic Tower Hamlets highrise landscape in place of the Ministry of Magic? After all, the MoM is just a sterile administrative office full of meddlesome bureaucrats, right?

I don't think we're getting "nothing but rocks" as theming. That might have been Dragon Challenge, but it won't be the same for this attraction. I expect something similar (but even better) to ET, bringing the Forbidden Forest into the indoor queue. Also, just because the Shrieking Shack is iconic and you want it is not a solid enough argument. Putting the Shrieking Shack in the middle of the Forbidden Forest as part of the queue or ride would be as weird and out of place as putting it in the middle of Hogwarts. It's not located there.

So I'm going to go with the Boat House as the entry and exit point and the Owlery as the tall structure, if both are actually buildings, that is.

Now, I love these ideas. Particularly having the boathouse as the entrance to the indoor part of the queue. The boathouse and owlery make sense for that location right next to Hogwarts, plus they are also iconic places we haven't seen yet. I think the boathouse would work perfectly as a transition to the indoor queue; we could enter the boathouse building and then "exit" into another indoor scene that looks like we are outdoors, but it would just be recreated forest (as mentioned, sort of like in ET), then continuing deeper and deeper into the Forbidden Forest, and eventually reaching the loading station to begin the coaster ride.

will there be a locker area? If so it will be improved... RIGHT?!?!?!

If I'm not mistaken, they're keeping the entrance and lockers in the same area. I would personally like it if we entered closer to Hogwarts, but it does make more sense to keep the entrance where it is to spread out the crowds.

Didn’t they already build an Owlery in Hogsmeade? Isn’t it that seating area right in front of the entrance to this ride with the roof over it? Come to think of it there’s also one in Diagon Alley.

Didn’t they already build an Owlery in Hogsmeade? Isn’t it that seating area right in front of the entrance to this ride with the roof over it? Come to think of it there’s also one in Diagon Alley.
Yes there is one in Hogsmeade. It has has a bit of animatronics and lots of fake owl poop. It also has a large clock facing the train engine that most people don't notice.

You might be thinking of the Owl Post in Hogsmeade, which is like a post office. The owlery is part of the school grounds, a sort of stand-alone tower where Hogwarts students and staff send their letters via owl. Here's some visual reference:

Hogwarts_zpshxyi88ph.jpg

Owlery_zpse4gbmlyq.jpg

Honestly, location-wise specifically, it would make more sense for the owlery to be the entrance to the indoor part of the queue for the attraction... but I think the boathouse would look much cooler and it's not that much of a stretch. They could even have a moat or pond going around into some trees, to push the illusion that this is the boathouse by the lake. The owlery might also work if, instead of going up to it, we enter a secret cave under it that leads us back "outdoors" into the Forbidden Forest. Then again, this is all just speculation, and we might see neither! But they would be cool and appropriate to feature.

A tea shop would make Universal money (return on investment), whereas the Shrieking Shack would only cost Universal money (loss - no return on investment).

True, but Grimmauld Place and the London waterfront don't make them money, either, and they've got those.

I don't think we're getting "nothing but rocks" as theming. That might have been Dragon Challenge, but it won't be the same for this attraction. I expect something similar (but even better) to ET, bringing the Forbidden Forest into the indoor queue. Also, just because the Shrieking Shack is iconic and you want it is not a solid enough argument. Putting the Shrieking Shack in the middle of the Forbidden Forest as part of the queue or ride would be as weird and out of place as putting it in the middle of Hogwarts. It's not located there.

An indoor queue through the Forbidden Forest could potentially be very cool, literally and figuratively. And yeah, the SS would have had to be atop a hill on the Hogsmeade side of the FF, not right smack in the middle of it. But Alicia says no SS, so moving on...

Now, I love these ideas. Particularly having the boathouse as the entrance to the indoor part of the queue.

I'm not loving the idea of a boathouse tbh. I would rather see that reserved for a boat dark ride of some sort. And I don't understand why we have a new black lake area when we already have the lagoon that serves as the lake. The whole idea of placing this attraction on the Hogwarts grounds even though it's on the other side of a giant wall doesn't make sense to me, either. Also, the boathouse isn't any more exciting than the SS. What happened there other than that Nagini killed Snape? Still, it makes sense as a loading zone if we're taking boats or planning to take boats, not that that has been established. And both it and the Owlery are recognizable if not exactly iconic structures.

As for the Owlery, it's sort of represented by the new projector for the Hogwarts light show, although that looks more like a second Owl Post than the Owlery itself.

Do you think there will be a viewing area over the ride or will this be mostly hidden from the public?

I think DD had one of the most iconic views of any coaster.

Dueling_Dragons_by_NoushinNienor.jpg

Good question. I see @AliciaStella says no though. One of the things I liked about Wicker Man was the multiple views you get off ride, you can almost walk all the way around the thing which makes for some amazing views.

Oh well, guess we can't have it all.

The question and photo got me thinking though, what do we think the entrance facade will be?

You might be thinking of the Owl Post in Hogsmeade, which is like a post office. The owlery is part of the school grounds, a sort of stand-alone tower where Hogwarts students and staff send their letters via owl. Here's some visual reference:

Hogwarts_zpshxyi88ph.jpg

Owlery_zpse4gbmlyq.jpg

Honestly, location-wise specifically, it would make more sense for the owlery to be the entrance to the indoor part of the queue for the attraction... but I think the boathouse would look much cooler and it's not that much of a stretch. They could even have a moat or pond going around into some trees, to push the illusion that this is the boathouse by the lake. The owlery might also work if, instead of going up to it, we enter a secret cave under it that leads us back "outdoors" into the Forbidden Forest. Then again, this is all just speculation, and we might see neither! But they would be cool and appropriate to feature.

Nice photos. I can imagine you like a kid in a sweet shop around there :thumbsup:.

Once again these locations don’t seem all that important. The only thing I’ll say about the boathouse is that could’ve been done if they still had the island skipper tours when Hogsmeade first opened.

The only reasonable way to do Shreking Shack is to have the whomping willow in which we dive under into an underground tunnel do a trim then go up into the shrieking shack and that’s where the drop track is. Just cover up shrieking shack with trees and stuff and it would honestly work very, very well. But it ain’t happening so we can stop talking about it. But please Universal give me all the rock work you have cause I’m a sucker for it

I wish that along with this project they would've opened up Hogsmeade a bit by the entrance, with additional shops and maybe even a famous tea shop

To recap: no Shrieking Shack, no snow, no extension of Hogsmeade, no extra pathways or more shops. Instead we get a coaster ride that takes up allll that real estate, which is pretty exciting in its own right.

This whole project just amuses me. For one, it's going to be incredible and mind-blowing. I have zero doubt about that based on track record alone.

The amusing part is that there are immediately naysayers anytime a Potter project is announced and they claim "too much Potter". Yet here we are, wishing xyz was added. It's almost never enough.

I certainly agree with @Felipe - the lack of pathway and shop expansion might be the most disappointing thing about this project given the scope of land they had to work with. And the lack of a Great Hall restaurant is easily the biggest glaring hole in all of WWoHP.

But when this ride finally comes out; all of that is going to be out the window as we're going to be awestruck. I can't wait for A) More details from Universal w/ artwork. And B) More aerials with track pieces in place.

I really, really hope we go "underwater" in this ride, like @Legacy originally brought up as an idea.

Good question. I see @AliciaStella says no though. One of the things I liked about Wicker Man was the multiple views you get off ride, you can almost walk all the way around the thing which makes for some amazing views.

Oh well, guess we can't have it all.

The question and photo got me thinking though, what do we think the entrance facade will be?

Nice photos. I can imagine you like a kid in a sweet shop around there :thumbsup:.

I'd love for the facade to be nondescript just like Diagon. It looks like a perfectly normal forest and then the further into the queue you go, the more it becomes so much more.

Sure people will get lost trying to find it but it will still be the most popular ride in the resort for the next 5 years providing Nintendo doesn't open.

Probably one plus from a panned F&F attraction, is that if the bean counters try to step in and value engineer some of the HP coaster's thematic elements before it's completed, they're likely to be met with a "No way, we have to get this one right after the F&F debacle". Shift into full throttle and get it completed and open ASAP. . :)

Once again these locations don’t seem all that important. The only thing I’ll say about the boathouse is that could’ve been done if they still had the island skipper tours when Hogsmeade first opened.

Agreed, they don't. But if Alicia says it's on the Hogwarts grounds and not in the Forbidden Forest or Hogsmeade, then what else is left that hasn't already been done?

True, but Grimmauld Place and the London waterfront don't make them money, either, and they've got those.

That's a very different situation. They needed those to flesh out London and hide Diagon Alley. (Hogsmeade is already fully fledged out). I'm sure there will be plenty of trees to cover the tracks here, and they're probably brown to simulate being part of the Forest, so I don't expect Uni to build a facade to hide the tracks. I'm still not seeing any function for the Shrieking Shack other than merely decoration. Anyways, I think I've made my point by now, so I'm done talking about the freaking Shack lol. We'll agree to disagree on that one.

I'm not loving the idea of a boathouse tbh. I would rather see that reserved for a boat dark ride of some sort. And I don't understand why we have a new black lake area when we already have the lagoon that serves as the lake. The whole idea of placing this attraction on the Hogwarts grounds even though it's on the other side of a giant wall doesn't make sense to me, either. Also, the boathouse isn't any more exciting than the SS. What happened there other than that Nagini killed Snape? Still, it makes sense as a loading zone if we're taking boats or planning to take boats, not that that has been established. And both it and the Owlery are recognizable if not exactly iconic structures.

I would love a boat dark ride, but even if they really wanted to do it, they're out of real estate. Sadly :-/ Would have been cool, though, right? Like a Little Mermaid, but much darker...

As far as the boathouse, I admitted it would be a bit of a stretch... It would have worked well to solve the problem of transitioning from outdoor to indoor queue. It's a building located outdoors at the bottom of the cliffs, and that's where the building for this attraction will be, but I think the Owlery would be the more appropriate of those two. We could enter the building through an Owlery facade, into a cave under it, then "exit" into the Forest (indoor scene recreating the forest). It's most likely that neither of these ideas will happen.

I've only seen one thing regarding this attraction, and it might be old and outdated, but it led me to believe the queue layout will be very similar, maybe identical to Dragon Challenge, where we enter in the same place as DC did and go through an outdoor walk up to the indoor queue building. I really hope they create a new facade / transition into the indoor queue, as it would make it way more special. Who knows... we might keep the same fort look that's been there since Dueling Dragons.

Indeed, my friend! :-D

The only thing I’ll say about the boathouse is that could’ve been done if they still had the island skipper tours when Hogsmeade first opened.

It would be very cool if they ever brought the boats back. It would add another ride of sorts, as well as a transportation system. Too bad they have so much on their plate now and for the foreseeable future, especially with a whole new park coming.

This seems like a great facade to hide the tall spike in. Also we know the coaster will be themed as a bridge during over passes so this picture might be on to something! Lot's of rockwork and elevation changes too.

I don't think they'll be hiding the track with facades. I think they purposefully made the tracks brown to blend into the trees and other foliage, and look like part of the forest.

I really, really hope we go "underwater" in this ride, like @Legacy originally brought up as an idea.

While it would be challenging to create the illusion of going underwater, if they managed it, it would be pretty amazing!

While it would be challenging to create the illusion of going underwater, if they managed it, it would be pretty amazing!

The Lake/Water, based on the plans, have it butting up to the 2nd building. The 2nd building is also below grade. So if they were going to do it, that would be the spot. Between lots of smoke and some splashing, I think it could be believable (for a coaster, of course).

Probably one plus from a panned F&F attraction, is that if the bean counters try to step in and value engineer some of the HP coaster's thematic elements before it's completed, they're likely to be met with a "No way, we have to get this one right after the F&F debacle". Shift into full throttle and get it completed and open ASAP. . :)
Doesn't JKR retain total last word approval? If so I think this will be quality stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.