Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion | Page 107 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I guess HOTC is something I worry about due to the fact that everytime they redo a property it gets worse ('15 Halloween, '17 Insidious, '17 Saw, '17 Evil Dead, '18 Halloween, '18 Purge) so I'm worried about that and that it will sort of throw away.

Am I the only one in these forums that loved the H4 maze? Was easily my favorite of last year.

I’m not too worried about HOTC aside from the fact that the talent might not be as good as it was in 2010/11. They have all the sets in storage so all he’d have to do is readjust it a bit to fit in Waterworld.

Ghostbusters and Klowns are probably the ones I’m most afraid of Murdy doing. I feel like The Gatekeeper might end up being the Pigman of Ghostbusters

I’m not too worried about HOTC aside from the fact that the talent might not be as good as it was in 2010/11. They have all the sets in storage so all he’d have to do is readjust it a bit to fit in Waterworld.
I'm not entirely sure about this part they could have painted over those walls possibly (Like how a Bunch of 3D walls were painted over last year for Monsters).

From most anticipated to least anticipated (This was kinda difficult considering how amazing lineup is)

- Ghostbusters: Very excited for this one. I like to see them blend the horror and comedy together, and maybe the effects will be amazing. PLEASE DON'T SCREW THIS ONE UP!

- Frankenstien Meets The Wolfman: We may not see the other monsters from last year, however that doesn't mean Im not excited for this. The sets look amazing and I can't to see the interaction between those two.

- Metallica: Huge Metallica fan over here. Really want to walk through scenes with their songs being played. This has always been my dream maze, and now that its being speculated I hope this dream comes true. Lots of headbanging will be involved!

- House of 1000 corpses: I never got to exprience this so now is my chance to finally meet Captain Spaulding and exprience this movie.

- Holidayz in Hell: I didn't care about this at first when it was speculated, but at the panel, I was little excited for this when he talked about the scenes and characters. The scenes look amazing and some are creative like the fireworks and pot of gold melt.

- Stranger Things 2 and 3: Honestly after the other mazes were being speculated, I was more hyped to the others than this. Nonethless, the demodogs and The Thing-looking creature will look awesome and the mall would be a nice set.

- Creepshow: Cool IP, however im not too excited for this one. The characters are gonna be cool such as the monkey, and the aquatic zombies.

- Killer Klowns from Outer Space: Yea... based on Manics said, ummm... yea. Love KKFOs and Im very happy that its coming. but Im very worried about this one. The maze location is too tight for its scenes. How are they gonna fit Klownzilla inside? I hope this maze proves me wrong, and blows me aways with their scene designs and scares. Mummy queue should've been Creepshow.

Overall, great lineup for this year. Lots of fun ips they're gonna use. An iconic horror-comedy, a classic universal horror movie, netflix best tv show, 2 well-known cult classic horror movies, a popular metal band, a returning popular maze that is well known and also has an iconic killer, and an original that looks amazing. So yea if they excute this well, this will go up with 2016 for best hhn years ever.

Reactions: hhnlover
Well with the speculated lineup and everything minus scarezones, any changes to your guys anticipated mazes for 2019?
1. Creepshow
2. Stranger Things
3. KKFOS
4. HofaTC

And then the rest do nothing for me. Even KKFOS and HofaTC are kinda meh, but they at least feel unique. (To me, at least...can’t remember if HofaTC made it to Hollywood but I’ve never experienced it either way.) Ghostbusters is not something I’ve ever loved and in fact, the way the fans reacted to the recent reboot rubbed me the wrong way. Could very well be a good maze that I enjoy in the moment but I’m ambivalent about the franchise as a whole, so it’s not like I’m specifically anticipating it. Holidayz and FMTW: I don’t picture either being much more than rehashes of last year’s stuff...FMTW less so, but still, feels “been there, done that.” Metallica is at the waaaaaay bottom. It’s boring dad metal and the idea strikes me as super corny, like something you’d see at a state fair.

Right now, the thing I’m anticipating is most of this stuff not coming to fruition lol.

Overall I'd say this lineup sounds pretty alright, nothing groundbreaking, but definitely some properties coming that have been long anticipated, if its to be believed and no curve balls occur.
If I had to narrow it down to the 3 speculated mazes I'm most looking forward to, I'd say Holidayz, KKFOS, and Creepshow would fit the bill. I never got the chance to experience HoTC back in 2010/2011 so I don't really have a frame of reference for how good it may be, but I'd say I'm cautiously optimistic for this one, as it's been 8 years since it was last done and it could allow them to go more accurate and detailed on the sets with their furthered experience and lack of 3d, but we'll have to wait and see I suppose. I agree that the location for KKFOS is a bit odd, not the place I would have chosen, but I'm optimistic that they can pull it off. I've always seen KKFOS as a property that it would be near impossible to make mostly black walls, since a lot of that property's identity is its vibrant colors and odd designs. I have a feeling a few fan favorite scenes and elements may not make it to the maze for space, but I'm optimistic that the end product will be satisfying. Stranger Things and Metallica don't really do much for me, but maybe listening to more of Metallica's music would assist that a bit. Ghostbusters has always seemed like an odd choice to me, and is still the property I believe the least, despite the amount of people saying otherwise. It just never really seemed to fit the event in my mind based on the predispositions in my mind to assuming what kind of movies are fit for HHN, as well as the fact that KKFOS, Creepshow, and somewhat Holidayz lean fairly heavily into comedy horror, filling in the spot Ghostbusters would, though as far as bringing in crowds gos, it could be pretty successful at that.

Even though Creepshow is one of my most anticipated houses for this year, as The Crate is my favorite of all the short stories, something tells me, based on past maze trends, the execution is gonna take a lot of liberties.
Given that out of the 5 short stories, not including the beginning and ending wrap-around one, "The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill" and "They're Creeping Up on You" both don't really have terrifying antagonists in them (e.g. a weed-covered Jordy and roaches basically), something tells me they're gonna mostly over-use Nathan's living corpse, the Becky and Harry's sea corpses, the ghostly figure from the wrap-around story, and the Arctic ape creature for most of the scares in the maze. Sure they may have a weed-covered Jordy actor blend in with the weeds all over the shack to scare guests, as well as a roach covered Upson. But just like how Poltergeist's maze had the Marty face-peel scareactor appear various times throughout the maze, I feel the other antagonists I just mentioned will be utilized a lot, especially in boo-holes in hallways, whether in transitions between each story or even a bunch of them towards the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: hhnlover
(from most anticipated to least)
1. Creepshow - i think this maze has the potential to be the best this year, it has so many stories, characters and settings to work with that i feel like it'll be jam packed with content. Couple all of that with the overall look of the movie with the lighting and such i think this maze is going to be really cool if they pull it off correctly.

2. Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman - Now while monsters wasnt my absolute all time favorite from last year (unpopular opinion i know) im still really excited for this maze, knowing murdys love for the monsters this maze (hopefully) is almost guaranteed to be really good. Wolfman is arguably my favorite monster so im excited that hes going to get to shine this time around since i feel he was underused last year.

3. Ghostbusters - While i do think this is somewhat of a weird choice for the event i feel like it could be REALLY good. This property gives me the same vibes as poltergeist gave me last year where i didnt think they'd be able to do a lot with the property but it ended up being a great maze. It isnt the scariest movie they could have chose but its something different and i respect that HHN is trying to go out of its normal boundaries for properties this year.

4. Holidayz in Hell - I loved the scarezone last year so giving it its own maze this year has me hyped, i love the whole turning all the holidays in to some demented version of itself concept and if it lives up to the concept art they showed off at Monsterpalooza i think itll be an amazing maze.

5. Metallica - While i dont really listen to Metallica or that type of music in general i grew up on Guitar Hero so im familiar with some of their songs, im really hoping we see One or Enter Sandman here since both of those songs kick ass and would sound SO cool in a maze setting, also im just really excited ill get to experience a music maze finally since i wasnt going to the event back when we had alice cooper and black sabbath. This maze is a wildcard for me and im intrigued to see how itll turn out (also wondering if itll be a mashup of songs or themed to a single album)

6. Stranger Things 2 - This maze is still a meh for me, im excited cause i loved season 2 of stranger things, however last years maze was pretty mid so im kind of reserved on this one. From what john has said on twitter about it, it seems as though hes going to make it scarier this time around, if thats true then great i cant wait, but even then compared to the other properties im just not that excited about it.

7. HOTC - This maze is a weird one for me, i dont have anything against it and i never got to experience it the previous 2 times its been at HHN, but i still have to wonder if it was the best choice to do it for a third time. Im sure itll be a cool house when i go through it, but theres so many other properties that we've already used and properties we havent used that are better than this one IMO. Also it doesnt help that ive never watched the movie its based off of, maybe my feelings will change after i watch it, but its a slim chance.

8. KKfOS - This is the only maze this year i just dont really care for. I usually LOVE the mazes in mummy que, but i just dont know how this works here, those costumes are WAY too big to be fitting in that venue. Now take all i say with this maze with a grain of salt since i havent watched the movie, but i dont really like how the klowns look in general and idk how this maze is going to work in a horror nights setting. I feel like the movie is way too goofy to be considered scary and i feel like the maze is going to take a toll because of it. Of course i could be wrong and this maze might end up being really fun and visually pleasing to look at, but as it stands right now theres just too much stacked against it for me to be all the way on board.

Overall this year isn't mindblowingly crazy on paper, but its definitely interesting enough to have my attention. This year has a butt load of potential and i hope everything pans out in its favor. Things are also subject to change so im interested to see if some of these properties will stick around until the event (considering the rockiness of the ghostbusters property).

Reactions: Dr. Herbert West
From most anticipated to least anticipated:

(1) House of 1000 Corpses: Never experienced the original but I LOVE this movie. Sort of a guilty pleasure since Captain Spaulding is really funny and Dr. Satan is really scary. Waterworld has consistently had my favorite mazes so I’m expecting this to continue that trend. Hoping it’ll have the scare level of H4 without being as short.

(2) Holidayz in Hell: I’m really excited for this but Figure being involved kind of tempers my expectations. Don’t know why he had to be involved or why it seems like the original mazes need a musician to tack onto them.

(3) Stranger Things: Thought the house last year had good sets but lacked scares. Stranger Things 2 translates to a house better and the creature from Stranger Things 3 looks amazing.

(4) Ghostbusters: Curious to see how they do it. Poltergeist was easily in the top 3 for me last year and I doubted how they’d do it so I’m going in with high hopes for this. Excited to hear the theme song in line and see Zuul.

(5) Killer Klowns from Outer Space: Mixed bag for me. The movie is so bad it’s good and I’m not sure that that translates to the more gritty mazes Hollywood usually does. Hope it ends up like Krampus but wouldn’t be surprised if this ends up as an Ash vs Evil Dead level maze.

(6) Creepshow, Metallica: I think these will have cool sets but these are such oddball picks in my opinion. I don’t dislike either of these but they do nothing for me and I’m a bit underwhelmed by them coming over more requested properties that are available.

(7) Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman: This one could go either way for me. I like the Classic Monsters but I really didn’t need another maze that’ll likely feature a ton of Frankenstein. My main qualm with last year’s UCM maze was that it felt like a Frankenstein featuring the others type of maze, but I did like it. Plus I really wanted to see The Creature this year.

Thought last year’s lineup sans Blumhouse + Purge was better but this year’s has more room for creativity. Not all that excited for it on paper but I think it’ll be executed well. But again, just my opinion and I seem to be in the minority here.

Reactions: Guygas and hhnlover
guess i'll do it myself

1) - Ghostbusters, do i need to say anything?

2) - Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman, look i know why it's bottom for you guys, but it's time doggo gets his own maze

3) - Holidayz In Hell, based on the panel, it looks awesome

4) - Stranger Things, after seeing season 2, it has tons of amazing scenes to use

5) - Creepshow, could be the darkhorse maze

6) - Metalica, never was that big of a fan tbh, but could be good

7) - killer klowns: what maniacs said

8) - ho1c, it's a repeat, sure it ain't in 3d, but it'll be almost the same.

Reactions: Guygas
This is a really interesting year for me as far as anticipation.

There are no jump out, have to get there first mazes for me, but there is a ton of potential.

Looking at the spec line up I am not sitting here counting down the minutes to buy tickets (though I will as soon as they are available) but I think this could be a year that breaks the every other year curse.

If executed well this Metallica maze could be amazing, course it could also blow chunks. You can say that about quite a few of the mazes as well.

Last edited:
This is one of the weirdest lineups we've had in forever. I'd personally argue that nothing in the lineup this year is really conventional or even that "safe"; any of these properties coming to Horror Nights even three years ago would've been a huge curveball. It's like a year composed of plot twists, I love it.

In terms of anticipation:

1) Creepshow: We've already talked at length about how nostalgic this movie is and how exciting seeing all the different monsters would be, so I'm just gonna point out something else about the property that's exciting: the COLORS! Creepshow had this beautiful color palette with all the different, kaleidoscope lighting effects, and I'm excited to see how Horror Nights brings it to life. Fingers crossed!

2) Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman: I'm honestly digging the idea that Murdy will be trying his hand at different types of Gothic environments. Pretty much all of last year's maze was the castle, and it'd be cool to see him expand that little graveyard area and build up some marshes. What will they come up with? How will they make the classic environments different? I wanna see.

3) Holidayz in Hell: The concept art and ideas all just had me pumped, especially things like the Pumpkin Patch, Fireworks Stand, Christmas Tree Farm, etc. Figure though? It makes me think the whole maze will be lit like a club, and I'm not sure if that's what I want.

4) Killer Klowns from Outer Space: My favorite B-movie ever is finally coming to Horror Nights. I'm in love. Oftentimes, the cult classic maze ends up being near the top of my list (Krampus, TrT), so I trust Horror Nights to capture the zany atmosphere of Killer Klowns. Problem is how small the venue is, but I'm sure they'll make it work. Popcorn Klowns or bust!

5) Ghostbusters: I saw Ghostbusters when I was really young - as in, "still didn't really get what movies were" young - and as such I only really remember a few things about the movie: There was a scene with a bunch of demon dog arms, a librarian, a giant marshmellow man, but I never really got around to piecing it together. Still, it's exciting to see such a different IP being represented at Horror Nights.

6) Stranger Things Part 2: Wasn't a huge fan of last year's maze, and I actually still haven't seen the show, soooooooo

7) House of a Thousand Corpses: I kinda want to put this higher just because I did enjoy the movie alot. IDK why, I feel more intrigued than excited. Like, what will they change? What will they keep? It's a curiosity object more than anything, and I'm not sure if I'm giddy to see it.

8) Metallica: I don't really listen to Metallica that much. :/

I’ll give you the go ahead, now.
Long time reader, first time poster. Hoping you can throw me a huge bone regarding the supposed Metallica house as I’m a die hard fan, and visit HHN Orlando annually, but will make a pilgrimage to Hollywood if/when this becomes official. Specifically I was hoping you could explain some of the hints or clues you’ve seen that points in this direction. I understand there’s only so much you can say, but anything you can would make my day. Thanks in advance for whatever morsels you can drop.

Long time reader, first time poster. Hoping you can throw me a huge bone regarding the supposed Metallica house as I’m a die hard fan, and visit HHN Orlando annually, but will make a pilgrimage to Hollywood if/when this becomes official. Specifically I was hoping you could explain some of the hints or clues you’ve seen that points in this direction. I understand there’s only so much you can say, but anything you can would make my day. Thanks in advance for whatever morsels you can drop.
The Mr. Sandman clue was for a Metallica house. It’s a Hollywood exclusive.

I was originally told two houses would be in the Tram Garage: Metallica and a Mexican original. Guess the info was an “either/or.”

Whatever it was, I wouldn't have been that excited for it. Knowing Murdy, it likely would have been a re-hash of La Llorona and El Cucuy. The only Mexican original that I could get behind (Surprised they haven't done this yet) would be El Chupacabra.
I remember a tweet of murdy saying he'll never do a chupacabra haunt because it'll be mostly puppets. If six flags can do a chupacabra haunt, then thats a dumb excuse.