Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion | Page 165 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Roanoke was pretty good in 2017 too but was held back because of the over reliance on Pig Man.

I also thought Halloween 4 and Blumhouse were pretty good in 2018, but mostly on the premise that they consistently delivered in scares.

I have a soft spot for the Shining, black wallz or no. What they had was very accurate, and the Here's Johnny scene is still one of the best vignettes they've done.

I didn't really think there was a "bad" maze in 2018, Stranger Things had problems delivering scares and The First Purge felt kinda perfunctory, but every maze brought something to the table. I maintain that Trick R Treat was deeply underrated, it was a favourite for the group I went with.

Roanoke was pretty good in 2017 too but was held back because of the over reliance on Pig Man.

I also thought Halloween 4 and Blumhouse were pretty good in 2018, but mostly on the premise that they consistently delivered in scares.

I never watched the Roanoke season of AHS, so that might be why it didn't impress me that much. It still wasn't a bad maze.

Halloween 4 was probably the best of last year other than Poltergeist and Universal Monsters. The only real downside to Halloween 4 was the weak ending. Blumhouse was pretty good considering that it had weak source material.

Still, I am longing for another year like 2016 where the weakest maze was probably The Exorcist and even that was pretty good. TCM: Blood Brothers, Freddy vs. Jason, and Krampus were some of the best mazes that I have ever been in anywhere.

I maintain that Trick R Treat was deeply underrated, it was a favourite for the group I went with.

Trick ‘r Treat is a weird maze IMO. I remembered liking it on both coasts but I can barely remember anything from either aside from Orlando’s Quarry scene and Hollywood’s spitting Sam.

Still, I am longing for another year like 2016 where the weakest maze was probably The Exorcist and even that was pretty good. TCM: Blood Brothers, Freddy vs. Jason, and Krampus were some of the best mazes that I have ever been in anywhere.

I really think this could be the year that rivals 2016. Looking at the lineup on paper my least anticipated maze(Creepshow if it’s the show version, FMTW if not) should be really good. Ghostbusters is another one that could go either way but I feel like there’ll be enough eye candy to make it go well.

Glad to see people coming to the defense of last year’s event. While it had its problems, I think it was the 2nd best year since I started going(2011). Certainly better than 2017, which is the worst year I’ve been to. Half of the houses from 2018 were better than anything from 2017.

Also I assume everyone who frequents this thread is going on fan preview or opening night. I plan on attending both.

For me, 2017 was the second worst year, right behind 2010, the worst IMO, which only had the saving grace of House of 1000 Corpses that year, and in front of 2008, as the 3rd worst, since it was literally a repeat of 2007. As for attending this year, my group and I are continuing our tradition of going Opening night, like we have been doing every year since 2007.

I’ll be going on both October 5th & 6th nights. Let me know peeps. I’m brand new here, this will be only my third year at HHN ever. I did 2017 and 2018.... which is why I like 2017 a lot. It was fresh and new to me. I thought 2017 was awesome. Let me know guys.

2016 was my first year and, while I agree that it is, objectively, the most well done year I've seen, 2018 remains my favorite year overall. Monsters, Poltergeist, and some scenic elements of Stranger Things really gave the event the edge it needed after 2017 (though I too have a soft spot for The Shining). Even then, 2019 is seriously shaping up to be my new favorite. The lineup is stellar and the current construction progress plus the promise of a better product makes me more excited than ever.

Reactions: horrornights789
2016 was the GOAT no question about it. 2017 only had three mazes that I thought were genuinely good (Titans, AHS, Shining) and everything else just put a sour taste in my mouth. 2018 was definitely an improvement but nothing totally game changing. I have a really good feeling about this year, the fact that they’re doing all these brand new wild IPs tells me they’re gonna go all out with the budget. And with the addition of fan preview night, throwback Thursdays, roaming hordes, and no Terror Tram I think this’ll bring the new life that we’ve been asking for for a while

2016 is the gold standard for HHN Hollywood. Not a single maze did not have love put into it. There was variety and it acknowledged the past and present. God we'll never have a year like that again .

I wonder if Murdy thought he'd be gone after 2016 and thus thought to himself "I need to leave the fans with an HHN event to be proud of.. one final statement of thank you to all of them"..

Reactions: chris.g
I wonder if Murdy thought he'd be gone after 2016 and thus thought to himself "I need to leave the fans with an HHN event to be proud of.. one final statement of thank you to all of them"..

I think the generally accepted explanation is that HHN 2016 was accidentally given an extra million in budget due to a clerical error, and the budget for 2017 was reduced to compensate. And also, higher ups pushed for another maze in 2017, soooooooooooo...

Also, I think someone said the Terror Tram was supposed to end with 2017 (rumor has it most of the ToT maze setpieces - Freddy snake, Jason cabin and bear trap, everything - were originally designed for the Terror Tram, which is also why the Leatherface sections were the same for both), but they brought it back for 2018 because the whole thing got gutted in that year.

I honestly think last years Terror Tram was a wonderful send off. I was hoping they’d give Hollywood Harry a maze since, even though the tram was all rehashed stuff, I loved the comic book feel and the mini stories we went through.

To an extent I’m hoping Creepshow can deliver on the comic book aspect since TrT completely dropped the ball on that.

Reactions: Freak
I never watched the Roanoke season of AHS, so that might be why it didn't impress me that much. It still wasn't a bad maze.

Halloween 4 was probably the best of last year other than Poltergeist and Universal Monsters. The only real downside to Halloween 4 was the weak ending. Blumhouse was pretty good considering that it had weak source material.

Can definitely stand by this statement

Reactions: GhostHost85
So more information will be announced over the next few weeks
hmm-sa-the-floor-here-is-made-out-of-floor-3111590.png