Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion | Page 214 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The Spirits and Demons zone feels like a pretty americanized version of Asian folklore, as soon I saw those Buddhas I was like "yhea, it's definitely going to get flak"
Also about the Fu Manchu character: *Laughs in Foul Fists*

I kinda felt this was gunna happen even based of the name lol. The "east" is a pretty antiquated thing and its strange to do a scarezone based off what seems to just be aesthetics and not actual folklore isn't the best move. They should've just based the scarezone specifically on one countries mythology thats why Knotts is so successful.

I kinda felt this was gunna happen even based of the name lol. The "east" is a pretty antiquated thing and its strange to do a scarezone based off what seems to just be aesthetics and not actual folklore isn't the best move. They should've just based the scarezone specifically on one countries mythology thats why Knotts is so successful.
They seemed to be on the right track with a fairly standard Oni design, though still an accurate one, but I think somewhere down the line they started to mix and mash different figures and legends together instead of representing them directly, which resulted in a few just ending up as somewhat generic versions of what could have been.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

“BuT wHaT aBoUt TeH cHiLdReNz!?!?”

Well....maybe you shouldn’t bring your kids to a horror event. The scareactor is doing his job. Seeing a lady bring a stroller (A freakin’ STROLLER) to HHN is evidence that everyday we stray further from God’s light.

Last edited by a moderator:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Well....maybe you shouldn’t bring your kids to a horror event. The scareactor is doing his job. Seeing a lady bring a stroller (A freakin’ STROLLER) to HHN is evidence that everyday we stray further from God’s light.
I wish more scare actors targeted kids, it's hilarious.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I mean to be fair, the parents don’t seem even remotely bothered lol. The second lady even had her phone out and was filming.

I’m just wondering how they even got in. For as long as i’ve been going to HHN, I don’t recall seeing kids this young (maybe I haven’t been paying attention though) and I kinda assumed they had age restrictions in place, like they wouldn’t let a kid that young into the event in the first place. Idk, could be way wrong.

Reactions: chris.g
Lmao those parents are savages. I love em.

Also, went last night and wow - Sundays are THE day to go. Did everything by 12 but damn was I tired, finally went through Frankenstein meets the Wolfman - what an awesome maze. Killer Klowns also was amazing and i got all the scares, bumping it up on my list, while unfortunately I was conga lined through Ghostbusters and didn't see much new things... bumping it kind of down. I'll post a full review in the Review thread later.

Yeah I'm not sure of the first mom but the second mom loved it.

My daughter loves all things horror (she's 8) and has been begging for my wife and I to take her to HHN (we don't cause I'm not a moron) but when I finally do take her if she get's scared I'm gonna laugh my butt off.

She went through TWD a few weeks ago during a daytime visit and tried telling me "I wasn't scared, I screamed so the actors would know I appreciated what they were doing"

...I kinda assumed they had age restrictions in place, like they wouldn’t let a kid that young into the event in the first place. Idk, could be way wrong.

I don't believe there are any actual restrictions, just guidelines/recommendations/strong suggestions. I have seen a few kids go and have a great time, so it's really an individual call in the end.

I don't believe there are any actual restrictions, just guidelines/recommendations/strong suggestions. I have seen a few kids go and have a great time, so it's really an individual call in the end.
Makes sense. I’m going to keep an eye out for kids this young when I go in a couple weeks, I’m super curious now. I can definitely recall seeing young teenagers (13? 14?) at the event but not like, babies and grade-schoolers lol. I would have been an absolute wreck going to HHN even at 13—I was and basically remain a total wuss

Makes sense. I’m going to keep an eye out for kids this young when I go in a couple weeks, I’m super curious now. I can definitely recall seeing young teenagers (13? 14?) at the event but not like, babies and grade-schoolers lol. I would have been an absolute wreck going to HHN even at 13—I was and basically remain a total wuss
I tend to see about 1 stroller at HHN a week, at least as of last year. From what I've seen there really aren't any age restrictions except that you need an adult with you if you're under 13. I guess universal figures if people are willing to pay full price for their 5 year old to get in, might as well let them.

For what it’s worth, when I took my sister to her first visit to HHN (In ‘16), she was only 11! I felt weird taking her afraid she would chicken out, but she ended up loving it! Ever since, I’ve made an effort to take her every year. When I was her age, I went through Van Helsing when that was a thing and that absolutely scared the tar out of me pretty bad. Some kids may get traumatized and some are very brave. Everyone is different.

Yeah I'm not sure of the first mom but the second mom loved it.

My daughter loves all things horror (she's 8) and has been begging for my wife and I to take her to HHN (we don't cause I'm not a moron) but when I finally do take her if she get's scared I'm gonna laugh my butt off.

She went through TWD a few weeks ago during a daytime visit and tried telling me "I wasn't scared, I screamed so the actors would know I appreciated what they were doing"
That's so adorable, she sounds ready! Take her to HHN!

I tend to see about 1 stroller at HHN a week, at least as of last year. From what I've seen there really aren't any age restrictions except that you need an adult with you if you're under 13. I guess universal figures if people are willing to pay full price for their 5 year old to get in, might as well let them.

I went last night and couldn't believe what I saw... I've been going to HHN for ten years now, and I've seen younger and younger kids showing up at the event in recent years, which is whatever. Sometimes at these events there are young kids who can handle it just fine, just as there are young kids who really (probably) shouldn't be there. But last night? We were in line for Ghostbusters, and right near us, also waiting in line, was a lady with one of those chest baby carriers. Her baby - and when I say baby, I mean it; not even a year old - was in the carrier, face towards her chest.

I'm not someone who tells others how to raise their kids, but... A baby? Really? And it's not even necessarily about the baby being "scared," since she had the baby in the carrier faced towards her chest. To me, it's about the noise! These mazes can get loud, and she's subjecting that poor thing to an extreme sensory overload that - in my opinion, for what it's worth - a baby shouldn't be exposed to (and no, we didn't see the baby wearing earplugs or anything, either).

And for the record, the whole reason I'm even saying this: She didn't wait in line with her friends/family and then step aside with the baby while everyone else went in or hand it off to someone else in the group that didn't want to go. She did go in the maze with the baby. Blows my mind.

Last edited:
There is a noticeable uptick in children at the event. I will say, most of the ones I've encountered have been well-behaved or at least seem to not be miserable. Make of that what you will, but it's another full price admission ticket to Uni.

It's undeniable that some of that can be attributed to Ghostbusters (which is a raunchy, often frightening film that has since been rebranded as something with softer edges) and Stranger Things (which despite some moments of gore stays pretty PG). As long as the expansion of demographics into the younger sector doesn't impact the event's ability to do gnarly, adult content (see blown apart kid in Holidayz, most of House of 1000 Corpses, the slasher mazes in general), I don't really mind. But there shouldn't ever be strollers or infants. That's irresponsible.

There is a noticeable uptick in children at the event. I will say, most of the ones I've encountered have been well-behaved or at least seem to not be miserable. Make of that what you will, but it's another full price admission ticket to Uni.

It's undeniable that some of that can be attributed to Ghostbusters (which is a raunchy, often frightening film that has since been rebranded as something with softer edges) and Stranger Things (which despite some moments of gore stays pretty PG). As long as the expansion of demographics into the younger sector doesn't impact the event's ability to do gnarly, adult content (see blown apart kid in Holidayz, most of House of 1000 Corpses, the slasher mazes in general), I don't really mind. But there shouldn't ever be strollers or infants. That's irresponsible.

If WB stuff is indeed back on the menu next year, some of those properties will have built-in parental controls.

Oh, also, since no one seems to have reported it on here but it's apparent from those on the ground at the event: Opening Scaremony is no more. If you want it back, I'd recommend lobbying @horrornights / @UniStudios and leaving complaints at guest relations.
Any idea as to why?

^I've heard it's more operational reasons... because so many mazes are open for early entry, holding people back for 15-20 minutes for the Scaremony is now really taking time away from getting to all the early entry mazes.