Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion

^I've heard it's more operational reasons... because so many mazes are open for early entry, holding people back for 15-20 minutes for the Scaremony is now really taking time away from getting to all the early entry mazes.

Which is in itself a consequence of 1) reducing early entry to one hour (6pm versus 5pm) and 2) trying to (foolishly) open Upper Lot mazes before 7pm.

At that point, everything should just open at 6pm. They're fooling themselves by confusingly spreading everything out and outright misstating opening times, many of which aren't communicated to the maze teams until it's too late to achieve that opening.

Which is in itself a consequence of 1) reducing early entry to one hour (6pm versus 5pm) and 2) trying to (foolishly) open Upper Lot mazes before 7pm.

At that point, everything should just open at 6pm. They're fooling themselves by confusingly spreading everything out and outright misstating opening times, many of which aren't communicated to the maze teams until it's too late to achieve that opening.

I was thinking about that as well... but I imagine starting at 6 would cause a lot of problems with guests exiting the regular, day park at 6. With such mass traffic, as well as the fact that half of the crowd present aren't HHN guests, you can't really do a Scaremony then, either.

As much of a fan as I am of the idea of a Scaremony, I have to be honest that I haven't seen it in person for the last 5 years because I'm too busy doing all the early entry mazes. And I'll admit I was one of the people silently irritated I was being held back from getting a maze coming up from the backlot to the upper lot, but unable to progress further because we all had to wait for the Scaremony near Special Effects Stage. That was even worse because you have to wait, but don't even get to see anything. Mind you, I didn't state my irritation to guest relations or anything, and I understood, but I was irritated nevertheless. But try explaining to masses of impatient people why they're being help up for no visible reason. And especially when hours are short and mazes are plentiful, delays can literally make a difference between seeing all the mazes or not (without express, anyway).

All that said, I am still a bit bummed because it was fun to watch all those Scaremony vids, and it was something unique to Hollywood.

I was thinking about that as well... but I imagine starting at 6 would cause a lot of problems with guests exiting the regular, day park at 6. With such mass traffic, as well as the fact that half of the crowd present aren't HHN guests, you can't really do a Scaremony then, either.

As much of a fan as I am of the idea of a Scaremony, I have to be honest that I haven't seen it in person for the last 5 years because I'm too busy doing all the early entry mazes. And I'll admit I was one of the people silently irritated I was being held back from getting a maze coming up from the backlot to the upper lot, but unable to progress further because we all had to wait for the Scaremony near Special Effects Stage. That was even worse because you have to wait, but don't even get to see anything. Mind you, I didn't state my irritation to guest relations or anything, and I understood, but I was irritated nevertheless. But try explaining to masses of impatient people why they're being help up for no visible reason. And especially when hours are short and mazes are plentiful, delays can literally make a difference between seeing all the mazes or not (without express, anyway).

All that said, I am still a bit bummed because it was fun to watch all those Scaremony vids, and it was something unique to Hollywood.

They did it for literal years when the park opened at 5/5:30. The cut-off was also much later - the Scaremony really doesn't take long to prep, so I'm not sure why it was such an issue this year, especially with no fire tower (another frustrating cut).

The problem is this - when you say early entry is 5 or 5:30, people will show up then and will never get frustrated when they hold off letting people into the park from 6:30-6:45... because their expectation is the park opens at 7. When early entry is 6, people are gonna show up at 6:30 and be mad they can't get to mazes.

It might just be recency bias, but this year has to be at least the runner up for the most significant removals made in a single year, especially since we're barely 2 weekends in.

Nahh, you're right. Usually they space it out, like Barker one year, Chucky the next, but we felled Terror Tram, a couple characters, and Scareamony all in one blow. Plus some days that end at midnight.

2019 definitely isn't an off year in terms of maze quality at least, but it's certainly becoming a 2017-ish mess in a whole lotta other ways.

Nahh, you're right. Usually they space it out, like Barker one year, Chucky the next, but we felled Terror Tram, a couple characters, and Scareamony all in one blow. Plus some days that end at midnight.

2019 definitely isn't an off year in terms of maze quality at least, but it's certainly becoming a 2017-ish mess in a whole lot of other ways.
On the bright side by the looks of how dead sunday was, they're finally getting their footing in terms of spacing and line management, which should ease things up. Also I sorta consider Terror Tram more of a replacement than a removal, but scaremony will be intensely missed if it never comes back, some of my most vivid HHN memories are of the Purge and Exterminatorz openings.

Idk if anybody has mentioned this but
Any info on whether the Holidayz in Hell soundtrack which was made by Figure will be released as an album like last year with UCM & Slash?

Idk if anybody has mentioned this but
Any info on whether the Holidayz in Hell soundtrack which was made by Figure will be released as an album like last year with UCM & Slash?

As of the moment, Figure is releasing Monsters 10 (which doesn't appear to be having any of the tracks for it).

My guess is that they probably will after the event, similar to last year with Universal Monsters; but I'd wager seeing how the consensus feels about it. I could definitely see it as a combo-album with Slash; but that really just depends on how Hollywood's merchandise teams want to handle that.

So do they just let guests in early now? I don't get it. Opening scaramony is at 7... and people complained about not getting to the upper lot mazes that are open early. But the event starts at 7. So regardless, you have to wait until 7. Unless people are asking specifically be let in early, what gives? Why change it? Something else must be afoot.

So do they just let guests in early now? I don't get it. Opening scaramony is at 7... and people complained about not getting to the upper lot mazes that are open early. But the event starts at 7. So regardless, you have to wait until 7. Unless people are asking specifically be let in early, what gives? Why change it? Something else must be afoot.

Ummm... do you not know that for at least the last 5 or more years, many mazes have been open as early as 5pm? When they say it opens at 7pm, that's when all mazes are open. This year, 8 mazes out of 10 are open before 7pm. Early Entry. They let haunt guests in as early as 5:30 so they can be in line for the early entry mazes as 6.

So no, you don't have to wait until 7. In fact, as I stated above, because I was taking advantage of Early Entry, I haven't seen the Scaremony in years, and on occasion it has, in fact, blocked me from getting to other mazes. I wasn't as upset about that as others, but I can see how others would be.

WB properties here we goooooo

Not to be the resident speculator, but any word on what properties were featured?
The surveys I took didn’t list specific properties. They did ask me about scariness though and the Jabbawockeez. Someone on here provided a list of properties that were on a survey though if you wanna dig back and find that

Also on the survey, there was a great emphasis on scariness. Guess they want to up the ante

See, people might jump to assumptions and think it'd be WB..but man, it'd be interesting to see new scare tactics and ways to operate for actors (like say..Bungees).

If I find time, I want to see Jabba (but considering how my night's going to be limited..) but I won't be surprised if I skip it.

Murdy dislikes bungees and has poked fun in past Q&A's about KSF's reliance on them. I agree with him as well due to the fact that they just require so much space to work with and Murdy has stated he doesnt always wanna sacrifice scares for the theatrical.

They should try ceiling scares like Orlando does. Orlando's HHN has a lot of unique ways they incorporate scares that HHN 2016 dabbled with (especially in FvJ and Exorcist) that I really haven't seen since.

Bungees aren't ever going to come to this event. It's considered a stunt. Stunts can't be staffed with normal scare actors.

EDIT: There's a ceiling scare in Pandora... though it isn't especially effective, IMO.