Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion

Last year wasn't exactly a good year to begin with. I don't think it's more of an apology, but they are going to rectify the mistakes by doing what they can, even though they are dealing with new ones (Baker/JW closed off, being two examples).

Just a random thought.. but I feel that this year is a deliberate.. almost sort of "apology" for the way last year turned out.. am I the only one who feels that?
No you aren't. In a lot of aspects I see some of this year to be a apology of Last year.

- Halloween 4 is a apology for not having Michael last year.

- Hollywood Harry is extremely liked and is apology for the God awful theme and execution of Last year's tram.

- UCM feels like a Apology for Blumhouse and how lackluster the maze was.

- TrT and Hell's Harvest feels like Apologies over the lackluster Hell-O-Ween.

- Monster Masquerade feels like a apology over not using French Street

- Stranger Things feels like a apology to missing all those cool puppets last year and having true sets.

- TrT feels like a White whale like the Shining but will make up for it with some astounding sets (Which The Shining did have some black walls).

- Toxxic Tunnel feels like a apology to last year Toxic Tunnel.

- First Purge feels like a apology for having AVED and the lackluster Purge Gaunlet last year and for the first time a Purge maze.

- Poltergeist feels like an apology to the effects of Saw.

Blumhouse, Jabbawockeez, and Holidayz don't really feel like apologies at all. But the point is that the execution of this year seems like a apology to all the awful execution of Last year.

I don't know... let's all recall that most of the buzz until recently was pretty negative. No one was excited to get Blumhouse or Purge, everyone was upset there was no AHS/IT/Conjuring/Get Out... let's be real, most people on this board (and elsewhere) were all thinking this year was going to be just as bad as last, if not worse. The only saving grace was ST, and for the fanboys, TrT... but let's also be real on that one... that's going to go over the heads of most GP, who will likely have never seen nor even heard of that movie.

Perhaps because people's expectations were so low, all the updates of recent have been getting people more pumped up. But really, it wasn't like that until maybe a month ago. Honestly, I'm shocked it's gotten the buzz it's getting now, given how much hate was being thrown it's way (and I think, rather unfairly--how can you judge something that doesn't even exist yet, just because they didn't get the properties you wanted?) for all the rest of the year.

I don't know... let's all recall that most of the buzz until recently was pretty negative. No one was excited to get Blumhouse or Purge, everyone was upset there was no AHS/IT/Conjuring/Get Out... let's be real, most people on this board (and elsewhere) were all thinking this year was going to be just as bad as last, if not worse. The only saving grace was ST, and for the fanboys, TrT... but let's also be real on that one... that's going to go over the heads of most GP, who will likely have never seen nor even heard of that movie.

Perhaps because people's expectations were so low, all the updates of recent have been getting people more pumped up. But really, it wasn't like that until maybe a month ago. Honestly, I'm shocked it's gotten the buzz it's getting now, given how much hate was being thrown it's way (and I think, rather unfairly--how can you judge something that doesn't even exist yet, just because they didn't get the properties you wanted?) for all the rest of the year.
Well, after last year, can you blame us for hating everything outside of ST and TrT? Murdy's white-whale IP (The Shinning) turned out to be one of the biggest duds in HHN history and everything else was mostly black plywood with a few props in there. It's only gotten more recently positive because of the previews posted and the fact that HHN is THIS WEEK and we're hoping that it will be better than last year (Which it sounds like it will).

I never was eager to have Blumhouse of Purge back, but I think they'll surprise us.

No you aren't. In a lot of aspects I see some of this year to be a apology of Last year.

- Halloween 4 is a apology for not having Michael last year.

- Hollywood Harry is extremely liked and is apology for the God awful theme and execution of Last year's tram.

- UCM feels like a Apology for Blumhouse and how lackluster the maze was.

- TrT and Hell's Harvest feels like Apologies over the lackluster Hell-O-Ween.

- Monster Masquerade feels like a apology over not using French Street

- Stranger Things feels like a apology to missing all those cool puppets last year and having true sets.

- TrT feels like a White whale like the Shining but will make up for it with some astounding sets (Which The Shining did have some black walls).

- Toxxic Tunnel feels like a apology to last year Toxic Tunnel.

- First Purge feels like a apology for having AVED and the lackluster Purge Gaunlet last year and for the first time a Purge maze.

- Poltergeist feels like an apology to the effects of Saw.

Blumhouse, Jabbawockeez, and Holidayz don't really feel like apologies at all. But the point is that the execution of this year seems like a apology to all the awful execution of Last year.

Don't forget full creature suits rather than those weird morph suits the Woman in 237 was wearing.

Honestly, I don't even think it's an active apology so much as more money being added to the event, into things like sets and details and what-have-you. After all, what's a better apology than cash?

It's just the ebb and flow of the event. One year sucks, the next year is great, regardless of the properties and it's usually to a few secret internal reasons and a few obvious reasons. It's my even numbered year theory.

It's just the ebb and flow of the event. One year sucks, the next year is great, regardless of the properties and it's usually to a few secret internal reasons and a few obvious reasons. It's my even numbered year theory.

I really hope 2019 doesn’t underwhelm like most odd years do

I'm sure we will be riding on the high of how (hopefully) good this year is at least until opening night of 2019. Everyone will have the "just relax, remember how we felt when we heard the properties last year?" mentality all summer and it'll be great, like we all actually love the event we're talking about for once. Then the event will hit and everyone will hate it again and we'll be back to saying we won't buy the Frequent Feat Pass, how we hope Murdy will retire, how much a rival Haunt is doing so much better, how even a crappy Haunt sounds better and it's gonna do better this year, how we're gonna skip a certain maze, how the event won't sell out like it used to, etc etc etc., ad freakin nausea.

I've been around for too long now to know this is exactly how it goes every other year lol