Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion

Sorry for going off topic,
Besides HHN, what SoCal haunt should I go to?

Honestly depends a lot.

If you like a more extreme, interactive haunt, LA is dotted with insane one-off walkthrough attractions. Now, I actually haven't tried any of these, but I know they run the gamut from "slightly longer/more interactive HHN haunt" to "legal psychological torture." I recommend doing a lot of research before trying one of these; from what I understand though, Blackout, Delusion, and Creep LA are cool haunts that aren't too extreme for people who love HHN. I also hope Blumhouse of Horrors comes back one day; it was one of those slightly-more elaborate HHN mazes that's great for people just starting out.

If you want something a little lighter/on the level of HHN, though, Knotts is honestly alot of fun to do, no matter what people say. Mazes like Dark Ride and Paranormal Inc have alot of fun gags that I haven't seen at HHN yet. I'd say the scares are generally weaker at Knotts, but the mazes are often so imaginative that I don't care and have fun regardless. HHN and Knotts + a small haunt like Delusion is honestly a pretty good rotation. Do be aware, however: Knotts doesn't rotate their mazes at near the level of HHN, often only introducing one or two a year. That partially means that they save money and don't have to make as many black wallz, but it also means that it can occasionally feel samey year-to-year. They do try to add rooms / new twists each year, though, so they have that going for them.

Dark Harbor kinda slipped for me in recent years, but they've had some classic mazes like Deadrise in the past, so I'd at least check them out if you get cheap tickets.

I don't know about WB's event, honestly. Maybe it's the HHN fanboy in me talking, but the IT experience last year was kind of weak. It was free, so I really didn't care, but $80 nights for Warner Brother's thing, if it's on par with last year, is kind of bat-belfry bonkers for the quality we saw last time. The videos I've seen for their haunt really don't bode well. Again, if you get cheap tickets, it shouldn't be an issue; at least the Arkham maze looks pretty neat. Just kinda weak on scares.

Definitely go to KSF. It was one of, if not, the first theme park haunt. So there are things they do that are the best in the world and imo their scarezones are exactly that. They have veterans that have been around for decades scaring in their streets and they're absolute professionals at it -- on the other hand, they have rookies too, so it can be a toss up. To me, their mazes start to blend together a bit in my memory and it's hard for me to pinpoint specific scenes, but it's still a fun time. Personally, I only skip every other year just because half the event feels tired to me -- like I have no desire to go through Red Barn, Shadowlands, Trick or Treat, or even an all time classic like Paranormal Inc again, even if they're rocking with good talent, I'm just already tired of the theme after 3+ years. So when I skip every other year, it feels like a majority or at least half of the mazes are new to me. Plus, half the mazes oddly have no talent when I go through them, I just somehow have really bad timing, or the monsters don't try to scare me, or they're just standing around talking to each other. My original plan was to go to WB this year, but since I've cancelled that, I may just go ahead and do KSF... could literally do it twice for the same price if I wanted. Plus you have world class rides and a few shows. For $42 on a cheap night, you are getting far and beyond your money's worth. I think you can even get a pass with no black out dates for only like $99. It's not always my cup of tea, it has it's on and off years for me, but for that price and the amount of things you can do, it'd have to be an aggressively negative experience for you to regret it (I've had 2 or 3 of those, but even than, it's just $42!!!!)

Thurs - Oct 4

This Thursday seemed a little busier than last week but still very manageable. Stranger things was 20 min from the start and I don't think it got much longer all night. It did open about 15 min late so I waited longer than I did last week. Trick r Treat was a walk on too. I had some bad runs yesterday. Seemed liked there were a lot of back ups and they were letting too many people in at one time. ST, the purge and Blumhouse suffered because of this but I am sure it happens sometimes. I did a re-run on Trick r Treat and had a really good one. Universal monsters was essentially a walk on at 7:15. Still my favorite. Still having fun and new experiences after my 3rd go.

Not to sound mean, but I hope it fails.
I mean, ideally, I truly wish it was great. Nothing would be better than to have another solid, premium Haunt in SoCal. The competition and the very fact we'd get more mazes and more events and more fun to be had is every Haunters dream. But it looks like it has many leaps and bounds before it gets there.
And I'd rather we not waste the next 5 years for them to try and figure it out and for them to ultimately give up due to low crowds, when we have some really good years and properties at that event wasting away when we could have them right now while they're relevant at HHN, or heck, KSF instead.

I feel the exact opposite. I would love to see this event thrive. No Halloween event was incredible the first year it opened. Queen Mary's Dark Harbor has been around for almost 10 years and I've heard that his year is probably their best. If Warner Bros. are going to continue doing this, it may take them a few years to iron out everything and I'm fine with that.

Halloween Horror Nights will always have other properties to choose from.

So I went to Fright Fest last night....

It is now at the point to where two out of two and a half of their new mazes are about as detailed as HHN and most of their mazes are a LOT scarier than HHN's. There weren't even any long stretches of black walls. Condamned is a prime example.

I never thought I'd see the day where Fright Fest is way scarier than HHN, but here we are.

Their quality of mazes have been improving a lot. But the big difference is, we'll be stuck with these same mazes for many years to come, while HHN is largely completely new every year. So it's a give and take.

Yeah, I've also been noticing that Sundays seem to hover around 60 minute waits for most mazes... and fairly early on in the evening, as well.

Any word if they'll drop after Halloween prices lower than $50 like they've done in the past? To me, I think that's the only way I'll be back this year, and I'm really counting on it! Definitely want to return, just don't want to spend $70. To me that's ridiculous... I remember a time not even 8 years ago where Unlimited FOL was $79 and even thinking that was an outrageous price. Already spent $76 my first go round, not trying to do that againnnn.

Another good run on Thursday. The park was definitely busier then past Thursdays but certainly still manageable with only Stranger Things going to 60 min out the gate. Good runs in most of the houses but it seems like stranger things is one big conga line. I get it they need to churn through people.

I think I was in line behind Johnathan Green at Stranger Things and Trick r Treat.