Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion | Page 271 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Would be weird to see glowing door and then some coffins, then go back to a guy ripping his face off, but who knows, stranger things have happened at HHN haha
Maybe they figured it'd be repetitive with the coffins at the end also? And I believe there's a glowing door elsewhere in the maze but it doesn't have a scare associated with it (I might be thinking of the Orlando video, I can't remember).
It really is a shame. But I think it goes to show that not every black wall of death was designed into a maze and sometimes "things just happen."

Reactions: rageofthegods
Not really for this year but I wonder if we’ll see a “Horrors of Netflix” down the line. John seems to be taking a big in Haunting of Hill House

I've mentioned it a few times. It Follows, The Ritual, Babadook and Gerald's Game feels like a decent lineup for a solid maze; one or two house facades for It Follows and a puppet for the Ritual would be the most expensive thing, I bet. Maybe a ToT style opening where a guy gets a nightmare watching the Netflix originals.

Haunting of Hill House feels like a logical step forward for HHN, especially with HMH muscling into the scene. It's a fairly prominent IP with massive reach, and it's filled with delicious, delicious characters that you can build a maze out of (thus no Poltergeist or Shining character deficits). Plus, it means that Netflix's massive, massive, massive library is opened up for HHN. That could last them years.

A Hill House maze would definitely feel very "Crimson Peaks"-y, with massive sets and beautiful details, plus a few "outside" scenes like the morgue. It has the potential to be legendary, tbh.

Would be weird to see glowing door and then some coffins, then go back to a guy ripping his face off, but who knows, stranger things have happened at HHN haha
Maybe they figured it'd be repetitive with the coffins at the end also? And I believe there's a glowing door elsewhere in the maze but it doesn't have a scare associated with it (I might be thinking of the Orlando video, I can't remember).
It really is a shame. But I think it goes to show that not every black wall of death was designed into a maze and sometimes "things just happen."

Face-Peely's a good character, and the actors really went for it. I loved him in the maze; he could've popped out a door during the "disappearing walls" scene. And yeah, it might've been slightly repetitive to have coffins show up again, but it could also have been that they don't move, and they were just a distraction scare for Marty McFlay.

Glowing Door is Orlando, I think. Would've been a neat bit of eye candy in or maze, or even a set-em-up scare with a drop panel to the left or something. Who knows?

The thing about a Netflix maze is there's other production companies at the helm, so it'd need the collaboration of all the assorted companies to comply -- also depends if Netflix just outright owns the theme park rights for them, which I suppose is possible. Blumhouse is technically a production company under the Universal banner (for right now), so that works and makes sense. It can be done, but it may require some extra work that it may not be worth it.
This worked for something like Titans of Terror and FvJ because two of those properties were at Platinum Dunes (I'm not sure where TCM's original film rights are at).

AFAIK, Haunting of Hill House's production companies consist of Amblin and Paramount Television, with distribution by Netflix.

It may be more possible than you may think, especially when you think of how Amblin is on Universal property, and may be easier to get them into negotiations due to the past experience with them and Universal Parks & Resorts.

Mike Flanagan would also be involved, as he is the creator and one of the writers of the show.

That said..can we save it for the 2019 speculation?

I would assume Haunting of Hill House would be it's own separate thing, alongside Stranger Things than being apart of a compilation.

Interestingly, this isn't the first time more than one Netflix IP being on the table, as I have heard that a few times in the past.

Reactions: HHNManics
I would assume Haunting of Hill House would be it's own separate thing, alongside Stranger Things than being apart of a compilation.

Interestingly, this isn't the first time more than one Netflix IP being on the table, as I have heard that a few times in the past.

If they wanted to take a really creative risk they could throw Black Mirror into the mix, that show seems to be about equal to AHS in popularity

Edit - With all of the cuts this year I wonder if the budget for some scenes went to UCM & Stranger Things? Those 2 mazes seemed to have the least black walls

Last edited:
I wonder how many people just wanted their money back and not to return.
I also wonder how many of them actually got through all the mazes that night haha

The thing about a Netflix maze is there's other production companies at the helm, so it'd need the collaboration of all the assorted companies to comply -- also depends if Netflix just outright owns the theme park rights for them, which I suppose is possible. Blumhouse is technically a production company under the Universal banner (for right now), so that works and makes sense. It can be done, but it may require some extra work that it may not be worth it.
This worked for something like Titans of Terror and FvJ because two of those properties were at Platinum Dunes (I'm not sure where TCM's original film rights are at).

Murdy says he was able to clear the use of TCM for Titans of Terror with Tobe Hooper and Kim Henkel themselves before Tobe passed away.. it seems they held onto the TCM rights the whole time throughout the franchise's history..

Murdy says he was able to clear the use of TCM for Titans of Terror with Tobe Hooper and Kim Henkel themselves before Tobe passed away.. it seems they held onto the TCM rights the whole time throughout the franchise's history..

It's well known that Tobe Hooper had a lot of affection for the event and its respectful use of the characters, even in the form of the Platinum Dunes reboot. It wouldn't surprise me if that appreciation extended to the securing of the Poltergeist license, post mortem.

It would've been very challenging to hit all the mazes post shut down on the 12th, but not impossible. If one was there for early entry and hit all mazes on Metro and Lower before 7pm (doable, but tough), there was a 1.5 hour window to hit Monsters, Halloween, and Terror Tram. Tram closed first, then Monsters, though Halloween stayed open all night.

Apparently, Halloween only ran with about eight scare actors post downpour, which begs the question why they insisted on keeping it open. At that point, no one is going to have fun after an 80 minute wait, and you're subjecting the remaining actors to guests' fury.

Reactions: Horror Lover
It's well known that Tobe Hooper had a lot of affection for the event and its respectful use of the characters, even in the form of the Platinum Dunes reboot. It wouldn't surprise me if that appreciation extended to the securing of the Poltergeist license, post mortem.

I remember back in 2012, after AMOK (Murdy and Chris' first try at American Werewolf) fell through, a lot of us were speculating Poltergeist as the replacement IP until it turned out to be TCM '74..

Reactions: Clive
I remember back in 2012, after AMOK (Murdy and Chris' first try at American Werewolf) fell through, a lot of us were speculating Poltergeist as the replacement IP until it turned out to be TCM '74..

I'm guessing that boiled down to clearances. Original Chainsaw easier to get the green light than Poltergeist (which has more stakeholders).

But yeah, it's a good instinct, one probably rooted in truth.

Reactions: Horror Lover
Apparently, Halloween only ran with about eight scare actors post downpour, which begs the question why they insisted on keeping it open. At that point, no one is going to have fun after an 80 minute wait, and you're subjecting the remaining actors to guests' fury.

Oh man, this is a real tough situation to be in for Uni and I'd definitely hate to wait that long for that type of product. But I imagine the reasoning was they probably figured some people just might not be able to make it back another night, so they'd just do their best to make it worth it in some degree. I know I'd be one of the few trying to tough it out in the rain because it's such a mission to get down to LA with these gas prices, and corralling all the friends together when we all have days off from work which is so rare as it is. I'm sure they comped the ticket but not parking, gas, or another night's worth of food. On top of that, the risk of driving that far in such heavy rain (anyone ever read the story about the family that died in an accident after a rainy night at HHN 2 or 3 years ago? Tragic.). Also to save face so they can technically say they were open "rain or shine" and not get a lawsuit (I'm willing to bet it'll happen regardless).

I also wonder how many people ended up doing Purge before everything shut down. I'd be furious too.
So a large group of my school friends (14 in total) were planning to go to HHN on Friday, but decided to go to Knott's instead because it was less expensive and closer to where we live. We pretty much dodged a major (silver) bullet.

However, the friend that invited me forgot to tell his girlfriend and his ex that the plan was changed.

So those two ended up going to Universal while we were at Knott's...

...And they did The First Purge first.

I had to go off on him waiting in line for Lights Out. HE KNEW TOO.

How does something like that even happen? Haha there wasn't an event page? A group chat? Did nobody converse with the other like "hey did you buy tix yet, cuz I ain't buyin until you buy!"

Reactions: KreepyKarpy