Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion | Page 272 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
How does something like that even happen? Haha there wasn't an event page? A group chat? Did nobody converse with the other like "hey did you buy tix yet, cuz I ain't buyin until you buy!"
Unless there was a group chat I wasn't invited to, there wasn't one. Everything was planned last minute by someone else at my school, which my friend's girlfriend and ex doesn't go to (I think outside our city too).
I mean oh well, they only did 2 mazes and then dipped after waiting too long in Stranger Things (they're fans too).
:shrug:

Not really for this year but I wonder if we’ll see a “Horrors of Netflix” down the line. John seems to be taking a big liking in Haunting of Hill House
Just give me Battle Royale, and I'm sold (even though it doesn't really count and most likely will never ever come to the event. I guess there's some maze material? It's pretty much equivalent to seeing Get Out at HHN).

I'm only three episodes in, but I'm not sure if I'm into the "Haunting of Hill House" hype....at least not yet. The series so far (Hopefully it gets better) seems kinda slow, uninteresting, and slightly confusing. There's some nice scenic and a few characters they can work with, but I'm not really buying into the hype. Hopefully it will get better if I keep watching.

Reactions: HHNManics
I'm only three episodes in, but I'm not sure if I'm into the "Haunting of Hill House" hype....at least not yet. The series so far (Hopefully it gets better) seems kinda slow, uninteresting, and slightly confusing. There's some nice scenic and a few characters they can work with, but I'm not really buying into the hype. Hopefully it will get better if I keep watching.
Eventually it starts to pick up and I would say that there is enough content for a house. But I'll wait till the thread for HHN2019 is made for me to discuss my thoughts on it.

Eventually it starts to pick up and I would say that there is enough content for a house. But I'll wait till the thread for HHN2019 is made for me to discuss my thoughts on it.

The question that sticks out to me: what motivates Netflix to promote this series next year? It doesn't seem like the type of property that's going to get a second season, so any haunt attraction would merely promote content that's been up on the service for a year+. Stranger Things makes sense because it moves merch and helps keep the brand alive as we inch toward the 2019 release of Season 3. (American Horror Story worked the same way, promoting new seasons by celebrating old ones.)

It's possible Netflix might just be interested in licensing it as a victory lap (they do love their prestige), but at that point, is Horror Nights itself really interested enough in the property?

Reactions: horrornights789
The question that sticks out to me: what motivates Netflix to promote this series next year? It doesn't seem like the type of property that's going to get a second season, so any haunt attraction would merely promote content that's been up on the service for a year+. Stranger Things makes sense because it moves merch and helps keep the brand alive as we inch toward the 2019 release of Season 3. (American Horror Story worked the same way, promoting new seasons by celebrating old ones.)

It's possible Netflix might just be interested in licensing it as a victory lap (they do love their prestige), but at that point, is Horror Nights itself really interested enough in the property?

John seems to like the show and he’s watching it right now, I’m guessing if he or Aiello ends up not liking it it won’t come

Edit - Aiello was tweeting about it today and he seemed to love it. That said let’s wait till the 2019 thread(though I do think we’ll see THoHH next year)

Well two things...

1. Mike Flanagan himself has stated that Season 1 sets up Season 2 in subtle ways. On how it ends it could be a prequel for Season 2 or a continuation of the story. But it hasn't been greenlit for a second season and I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to.

Murdy has stated that he has started watching the Show and Michael Aiello stated he loved it. So they are interested as they literally caught it as it was getting hype. Unlike Stranger Things that Murdy didn't see till last year. It would also strengthen the relationship between them and Netflix. And the show is pretty incredible. And then again there really isn't much reason for HHN to really promote Trick 'r Treat so much this year at all with a Scare Zone or Maze since there is no sequel or anything. I mean AVED didn't have anything to promote like a third season to promote but just the show itself.

Just my tid bit of thoughts about that property and I'll leave the rest for the 2019 Thread.

Tickets just raised to $104 for the next two Saturdays. This is $7 more than their original Front Gate price. Just taking advantage of all those kids that wanna see a mediocre Stranger Things maze, aren't ya, Universal?! bahaha

Tickets just raised to $104 for the next two Saturdays. This is $7 more than their original Front Gate price. Just taking advantage of all those kids that wanna see a mediocre Stranger Things maze, aren't ya, Universal?! bahaha
If it's lower attendance that's a discount for not needing express in LA right?

It'll be high attendence, definitely the highest of the entire season. I think they raises prices because 1) they want to push people away from coming because it'll already be full 2) people are going to come anyway no matter the price, might as well make extra money.

The last 2 Saturdays before Halloween are a nightmare. I survived doing it once with Early Entry, but I can't imagine what it's like getting there at 7... literally maybe doing 2 mazes and the Terror Tram, but that happens even on early Saturdays if people don't plan right.

Reactions: Rideguy70
Halloween 2018 is a great movie that will no doubt show up eventually. Really sucks they couldn’t get Miramax to sign on this year but Halloween 4 was a decent fill in with a little overlap here and there.

Are UCM and H4 still the top 2 mazes? I’m really surprised Stranger Things is polling that high since there’s not many scares

Now that I've seen Hween 2018, I still don't see why it wasn't done as a maze. All the plot points are hit in the trailer and even a good chunk of the kills. I thought there was going to be a crazy, unpredictable third act or something that's not even shown a tiny bit in the trailers, but if you've seen even pictures, you probably have an idea where it's going. [If anything, I wish they showed way less in the trailers.] Even with that said, I think it'd be hard to translate as a maze, not impossible by any means, but I think there'd be a lot of black walls to transition, and I can see the moaning already come 2019 or 2020 when they do this as a maze about how bare it is. I highly enjoy part 4 as a maze, so I don't mind.

I think by sheer numbers of people entering Stranger Things, it'll poll high -- it'll basically hit the right note with someone at some point, and that'll happen enough times with a high amount of people. I'm willing to bet it has at least a 90% conversion rate of everyone in the park, along with the Terror Tram. So the numbers are a bit skewed and judged unevenly, if say, 15k people go through ST a night, while only maybe 6k go through something like HOB.

Thur October 19

A noticeable increase in crowds this Thursday. Early entry still got you ST and TrT and the lower lot with minimal wait times. Stranger Things opened late due to Celebrities/Youtubers/media getting private runs. Poltergeist was down 25 min at around 6:00pm. The wait time jumped from 10 min (it looked like a walk on when I got in line) to 60 min when I exited the maze. I am not sure if there were technical issues or celebrity runs? The Purge and Blumhouse were both 15 - 20 but by 7:00 they did tick up a little. I had a really great run through on Universal monsters which was only a 15 min wait at 7:30. I was in middle of a cabal of girls and the scare actors really hammed it up. Halloween seems like it gets slammed from opening and it was 50 min when I walked by. I skipped it this time around and left early. Of course still have not done walking dead in the 5 times I've been. I wonder how many frequent Horror nights goers do the Walking Dead. I have express during the day so I will do it if I don't have to wait. All in all another great night at Horror Nights.

Reactions: Clive
Now that I've seen Hween 2018, I still don't see why it wasn't done as a maze. All the plot points are hit in the trailer and even a good chunk of the kills. I thought there was going to be a crazy, unpredictable third act or something that's not even shown a tiny bit in the trailers, but if you've seen even pictures, you probably have an idea where it's going. [If anything, I wish they showed way less in the trailers.] Even with that said, I think it'd be hard to translate as a maze, not impossible by any means, but I think there'd be a lot of black walls to transition, and I can see the moaning already come 2019 or 2020 when they do this as a maze about how bare it is. I highly enjoy part 4 as a maze, so I don't mind.

I think by sheer numbers of people entering Stranger Things, it'll poll high -- it'll basically hit the right note with someone at some point, and that'll happen enough times with a high amount of people. I'm willing to bet it has at least a 90% conversion rate of everyone in the park, along with the Terror Tram. So the numbers are a bit skewed and judged unevenly, if say, 15k people go through ST a night, while only maybe 6k go through something like HOB.

Definitely on the Black Wallz; H18 suffers from "H4" syndrome, where most of the film takes place across a bunch of different locations (seriously, there were just tons of locations in that movie). Taking a preliminary "stab" at it...

- Gas station facade (would love Smith's Grove or the Bus crash, but given the sheer number of locations, sacrifices need to be made...)
--The front is covered with police tape. In the front, you see the front counter with the bald guy; as people walk by, you see the guy had his jaw bashed in...
--Then, you go through the mechanic's room (with dead mechanic) and just hear this banging sound, with Dana screaming in the background. Then comes the bathroom, with a dead Aaron and a Michael strangling a Dana puppet.
-Go past some halloween-decorated picket fences (or handy dandy black wallz). Obligatory H3 cameo.
- mini house facade
--enter someone's room with the poor woman's skull bashed in, hearing the crying baby in the background, then into another room where a woman's throat has been stabbed. There's a michael or two around.
- Go past some SHEETZ where there are Michaels everywhere. You hear Laurie Strode and the police officers arguing, Laurie shouting things like "GO HOME, GET INSIDE," and Julian (best character in the movie) shouting about the boogieman.
- House facade! In one window, you see a shadow projection of the boyfriend getting stabbed...
--Into the house, where there's a dead boyfriend stabbed to the walls.
--Into a bedroom where there's a mannequin with a ghost costume. In the closet, there's one of those H4 audio triggers with a Michael mannequin standing there; a knife sound plays, but he's a distraction. The real Michael pops out and scares the bejeezus out of people. Double distraction!
-Past some more Black Wallz and into a room with strobe lightz. There's a Michael or two in those strobe lightz (supposed to represent the motion lights).
--Aaaaaaand past some more picket fences, where there's a giant spikey gate with poor ol' Oscar skewered on top. Michael pops out from the left side. Allison is heard in the background screaming.
-- Past some more chain link fences, with a blackout car-scare and not-Loomis trying to stab guests. There's a dead Sheriff on the floor, Allison screaming "That's him!" and Sartrain saying "That's what if feels like."
-Finally, into the woods for the finale. there's a cop car with a cop-o-lantern, and Sartrain's smashed in body. Michael hides among the woods, while you hear Michael's breathing. He's getting close now...
--This would be a highly unnecessary room, but one with those creepy mannequins and some of them are living would be pretty cool. Allison could be sitting around screaming.
-Facade of Laurie's house! Of course, there's a Michael hanging around the side...
--Into Laurie's bedroom, where Ray is in the closet and Michael is among the Mannequins. You hear the Shape's breathing, and Laurie saying "Michaeeeeellll..."
--Into the kitchen, where a fire is starting. The place is trashed, there's a fire starting, Laurie and her family are cowering, and Michael reaches out from below...
--Aaaaaaaand grand finale. Maybe something to do with the inflating pumpkin at the opening credits? Or back at Smith's Grove again, where Aaron is shouting "say something" and the dogs are going wild, and it's just white-jumpsuited Michaels everywhere...

Jesus that'd be a long maze. But it'd be relatively easy to translate some of the scenes in the maze as transitions rather than full-fledged scenes (I'm thinking motion lights, the "on the fence" death, and vehicular manslaughter would be easiest), unlike Halloween 4, where many of the cut scenes (school, police station, drug store) would've unfortunately required facades and cash.

Edit: I swear I didn't swear...