Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion

if they ever come back to video game mazes outlast or re 7. since there's tons of classic movies in a house a year i think the thing or the fly would make good houses for next year

Some thoughts are in my mind, bar if Murdy is leaving (which; it really does seem like it).

So, this is just initial thoughts on speculation if there is a new CD.

• The event will be more streamlined with Orlando on the Marketing, this means what is theirs is ours in a sense; of theme, possible icon; and tagline. Commercial would most likely be shared again, similar to how it was this year.
  • Next year would be more of an adjustment period, one that it may need if a new CD is while internal; not from Hollywood.
  • Alcohol will be expanded, but will house the same rules as before.
  • Maze count won't decrease, regardless if the Backlot changes occur at the time of the event.
  • They will address the elephant in the room of lack of original mazes, with at-least one maze being original. You can't base the event on IP's forever, and 2017 shows that to a painful amount, with reused IP's around many corners.
  • We'll keep the one show count
And as some thoughts on one aspect of particular, the Terror Tram.

The Terror Tram; has showed it's age 2017. Being decreased to the level of care from 2016, 2017's Terror Tram felt to me; like a hollow shell, with some terrible execution all around. I hope, if it comes back; it gets that care again. But, a part of me would wonder, would it even make financial sense to do that?

Thinking about it, It spends money on gas and keeping the trams operational for the nights, takes the actors out of areas that would be better accommodated for them, and has shown it's faults throughout these past few years. Not to mention with a possible new CD on the arrival; I am actually not going to be surprised if the Terror Tram's day's are numbered.

And I don't like that, but it makes sense; as it's had it's time to shine but is now somewhat of a flawed system that's only excuse was gone when they brought mazes down to the Metro Sets.

But, that's just where I'm at with the speculation right now. I'll probably watch for a while, but the holiday's are more appealing to me right now than anything.

If we get an original I’m hoping we get one about the Wendigo or any urban legend. Those historical houses Orlando sometimes do look pretty good, but anything other than a music Original is fine by me.

I want to see Hollywood Harry again in an original maze. I feel like the tram didn't do him much justice and that sucks seeing how he has a pretty interesting backstory. I feel as if Uni is trying to stay away from clowns for some reason but I see the maze taking place in a abandoned studio.
If they want clowns again and not Harry, I hope they look into the stars for a certain type of clown or maybe in their sewers..

I want to see Hollywood Harry again in an original maze. I feel like the tram didn't do him much justice and that sucks seeing how he has a pretty interesting backstory. I feel as if Uni is trying to stay away from clowns for some reason but I see the maze taking place in a abandoned studio.
If they want clowns again and not Harry, I hope they look into the stars for a certain type of clown or maybe in their sewers..

If we get IT, we won’t get Hollywood Harry and vice versa.

If the Terror Tram doesn't come back next year, I wouldn't be disappointed honestly. Talking with many people in the RIP lounge this year about it, many had the same feelings and think the money would better be invested in other mazes. I know what I'm about to say is like committing a horror fan sin, but I really don't want Michael Myers next year. This year and last year tired out the Titans of Terror for me, and I honestly think that any IP's next year should be brand new without it feeling that stale. I'm down for original mazes too since there's an infinite amount of possibilities for stories, environments and monsters that we can be immersed in. Also, with the Dreamworks theater and store being finished by next September, we should have our Upper Lot scare zone back to normal as well!

If the Terror Tram doesn't come back next year, I wouldn't be disappointed honestly. Talking with many people in the RIP lounge this year about it, many had the same feelings and think the money would better be invested in other mazes. I know what I'm about to say is like committing a horror fan sin, but I really don't want Michael Myers next year. This year and last year tired out the Titans of Terror for me, and I honestly think that any IP's next year should be brand new without it feeling that stale. I'm down for original mazes too since there's an infinite amount of possibilities for stories, environments and monsters that we can be immersed in. Also, with the Dreamworks theater and store being finished by next September, we should have our Upper Lot scare zone back to normal as well!
Blumhouse's Halloween is almost guaranteed for next year and it makes sense due to his absence this year with the other titans. I will gladly take Michael or Jason over the other titans even though they've been used so much, mainly Michael.

Because of the Warner Bros trial with the Conjuring happening in April, I would think USH would have better chances with doing a maze possibly on the spin-offs like the Annabelle movies or The Nun, avoiding any mention of the Warrens.

Soooo, IPs:

Safe IPs that are almost definitely happening:

American Horror Story: Asylum / Cult :

American Horror Story has become the Walking Dead of this event, in that it's a popular TV series where each individual season, barring a few, can be made into a maze. My money's on Asylum coming next year, though I do still think Cult has a chance at being the house, depending on how the ending goes. Lord knows this season more or less forgot about the election at this point, so it'll be less politically controversial, at least.

Halloween (2018):

It's got Jamie Lee Curtis returning and John Carpenter making the music. It's one of the most recognizable horror IPs out there. Twitter announcements about the movie get an average retweet count rivaling that of an average Superhero movie. Blumhouse is producing, and they have a good relationship with HHN. Barring the fact that it's a repeat IP, there is no good reason why this shouldn't come.

Possible IPs:

Trick R' Treat:

Now, Murdy has said in the past that he'd wait for the sequel before making a maze, but there are signs that it might be coming next year. First off, the SZ in Orlando, and second off, there was a traditional Halloween SZ this year in Hollywood. Remember how the Dark Christmas SZ was ultimately turned into a maze with Krampus? Yeah, I think there's a chance for it here.

IT:

The most popular horror movie on the planet at the moment. Apparently, Universals has a good relationship with Warner Brothers, what with them getting the Shining and the Exorcist as well as the fact that they could've gotten the Conjuring if it wasn't for the lawsuit. There's a second part coming in 2019, so Murdy could probably pitch it to WB as an "advertisement house" a la Saw or Insidious this year.

Side not: I think Murdy actually said that the reason they couldn't do an IT house this year was because of the Neibolt House experience being a thing? Whatever the case, it won't be a thing next year, so that will be one more roadblock gone in getting this IP.

Paramount Pictures (Suspiria, Paranormal Activity, the Ring, Friday the 13th) :

This one is my "Dark Horse" possibility. Paramount recently hired a new CEO after a disastrous run at the box office this year. This guy is an archetypical pragmatic corporate guy, but that could mean good things for Universal. For example, he might see the amount of money Horror has been making in 2017 and decide to strike a deal with Universals on an advertising house based off of one of their IPs.

Suspiria would be the one I'm most excited for, but if it is an advertising house, it would have to be based off of the remake coming in 2018. The remake is supposedly NOT GOING TO BE COLOURFUL LIKE THE ORIGINAL FILM so my excitement will probably be blunted. On the off-chance that Paramount does allow the maze to be based off of the original Italian version, then the garish and bizarre architecture could really make for a nice, scary 3D house (we haven't had one of those in a while!).

Netflix (Stranger Things, Stranger Things, Creep, Stranger Things...):

This one is a bit of an unknown in terms of negotiations, but I think Netflix would be open to the idea of a Universals maze based off of their IP, especially considering that they've already given the OK to Six Flags Mexico to make a maze. This signals a willingness to give out their IPs for mazes; why not give it to one of the highest-end haunted attractions in LA?

Channel Zero:

AKA: The Creepypasta show.

Syfy has collaborated with Universals in the past (Face-Off) and guys, this show is actually really good. The showrunner is one of the guys that did Hannibal, so they got a history with NBC-Universal. It's based off of viral internet stories, so it should have good name-recognition going in. Candle Cove especially has some serious maze potential, but that does run into the Sinister problem of mainly involving children. Possibly less worrisome is No-End House and possibly next year's Stairways, which both feature more conventional antagonists like zombies and cannibals, respectively. I'm thinking either this or Trick R' Treat could fill the "Dark Horse" spot for this year.

Twin Peaks:

JUUUST YOOOOOUUUUUU...

AAAAAAND IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII...

*ahem*

Mostly basing this off of the leak by our good friend Gallinado. I hope to God this one comes. Projection effects from Shining and Insidious this year are a must. Scares can come from BOB and the Woodsmen, there's plenty of opportunities. Climax can be in the Black Lounge or the Palmer House or maybe even the Roadhouse. Just please let this one come.

Less Possible IPs:

The Miramax Slashers (Hellraiser, Scream, etc.) :

Miramax is not owned by the Weinstein company. I know it's been suggested that the collapse of TWC would mean that Universals could nab this IP, but TWC doesn't actually own the IP. As it turns out, Miramax is, as of 2017, apparently owned by a Qatari media conglomerate known as BeIN Media Group, who also owns Al-Jazeera. On the bright side, Orlando's Scream fiasco happened in 2015, when the company was still owned by three separate companies with separate stakes in different things. This could mean that bad blood has blown over and negotiations could start anew. At the same time, this could be a pure unknown as far as negotiations go: would executives entirely understand the relevance of the original films? Or will they see that the MTV series is popular and try to pivot the maze towards that? How much of the negotiations will be international? Will the owners take a laissez-faire approach to negotiations or try to micro-manage everything? It's alot of variables, guys.

Hannibal:

The show is apparently in talks for a revival, and the important actors (Will and Hannibal) have signalled willingness to return. If Bryan Fuller can get it revived, then a house based off of Hannibal could be a possibility. This one has some potential with an obvious villain (Hannibal Lecter and the serial killers + the wendigo) providing the jump scares, but at the same time, the ratings for the show were never that great, and negotiations, especially if they're also trying to get Silence of the Lambs, could take a long time. Maybe into next year, after 2018.

The Conjuring:

Oh, I wanted this IP so bad, but that lawsuit trial is happening in April and that cuts the time a bit short. If WB can force a settlement beforehands, then that opens up the door for a Conjuring mashup house with the main movies, the Annabelle movies and the new Nun movie maybe at the end, in a sort of Jigsaw style advertising ending. But then, I'm really not sure if the lawsuit is going to be settled outside of court. I think Murdy will just retain his treatment from last year in case he can do it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:
Together.... forever....

SPECULATION

-
AHS: Asylum comes as a maze, Cult as a scare zone ala Trick 'r Treat
- Halloween returns in some form
- Trick 'r Treat is finally cuffed
- It... if theyr'e smart the'll know this is what everyone, fans and GP, want
- TWD is rebranded to include "scarier, new ending"

WISHFUL THINKING

- Scream... how I live for the day we see it at HHN.
- The Conjuring
- Hellraiser

I always wondered at the possibility of doing Asylum, Coven, and Cult in their separate houses the same year, that way they'd catch up with Orlando, but the fan reaction would probably be mixed at a property taking three house spaces.

I always wondered at the possibility of doing Asylum, Coven, and Cult in their separate houses the same year, that way they'd catch up with Orlando, but the fan reaction would probably be mixed at a property taking three house spaces.

Coven I don't really see being a full house though? Asylum-Cult house is possible, but I'd really prefer that they just go with the Asylum house and Cult SZ route, maybe make it like the TrT SZ in Orlando with little house-boxes and clown cultists.

I mean Coven has enough things for a maze: the Minotaur, Madam LaLaurie's house of horrors, the Confederate zombies and Halloween zombies, Spalding's doll room, Papa Legba and the voodoo group of Marie Laveau, plus including stuff from the commercials like they've done in the past two houses at Hollywood and Orlando. Though I understand why that season isn't the most popular in terms of scares in general. And I can see the Cult season being a scare zone. If only we could have a Kai speaker talking with guests, like with the Purge speakers and Ringleader from Klownz.

Long time lurker first time posting.

I think the issue with The Conjuring had more to do with the fact that Warner Bros did a maze based upon it for their Halloween thing and less to do with the lawsuit.