Halloween Horror Nights 2021 (USH) - News & Info | Page 45 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2021 (USH) - News & Info

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Paranormal Inc in 2019 had a MAJOR finale change that set a whole different tone for the conclusion

The Depths added a sometimes functioning elevator scene at the beginning that was “meh” at best and a waste of time at worst

Dark Entities added a lot more video and interactive elements year two as well as cutting down on the amount of alien creatures in the maze (like Depths of Fear in Orlando, honestly)

They usually do make additions/changes, but some are much smaller than others

Knott’s really does listen to guest reviews and takes them into account when it comes to what they want to cut

Sadly, houses that receive sub par additions (like Shadowlands) often suffer an early death

HHN repeating with little tweaks is more akin to some of the lesser Knott’s improvements

We can argue this all day, but I think most have made up their mind one way or the other already
Wasnt that finale for Paranormal 2018? assuming we're talking about the same one.

A thought though occurs is that with Halloween now seemingly taken into account, this will mark the first time since 2010 to where almost the majority of the lineup--is repeated IP (and Pandora's Box).

2010 had Saw: Game On; Vampyre (An original reskin of House of Horrors), both remakes of Nightmare and Friday as new mazes; and House of 1,000 Corpses with it's first year. 2021, with the pandemic likely affecting things; will mark the return of The Exorcist, Pandora's Box, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Halloween 4.

How long has it been since a year where we've seen a dedicated return of repeat IP's as the majority? I'd think 2010 is the only one that had that moment. That's...actually impressive, that we've gotten this far without a 2010 situation occurring again. Even if there are reasons for why this year has seemingly went the way they went, even beyond the pandemic.

A thought though occurs is that with Halloween now seemingly taken into account, this will mark the first time since 2010 to where almost the majority of the lineup--is repeated IP (and Pandora's Box).

2010 had Saw: Game On; Vampyre (An original reskin of House of Horrors), both remakes of Nightmare and Friday as new mazes; and House of 1,000 Corpses with it's first year. 2021, with the pandemic likely affecting things; will mark the return of The Exorcist, Pandora's Box, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Halloween 4.

How long has it been since a year where we've seen a dedicated return of repeat IP's as the majority? I'd think 2010 is the only one that had that moment. That's...actually impressive, that we've gotten this far without a 2010 situation occurring again. Even if there are reasons for why this year has seemingly went the way they went, even beyond the pandemic.

2015 had 5 returning IPs.. Halloween, Insidious, TWD, AVP and Purge on the Tram.. with the only two new mazes being Crimson Peak and This Is The End 3D..

This is definitely not the first time where majority of the lineup are repeated IPs.

2012 really only had Silent Hill and TWD as New IPs. TCM, Alice Cooper, and La Llorona. 3 of 5 repeated IPs/Original.

2015 was 4 of 6 with Crimson Peak and This Is The End 3D being new while Insidious, TWD, AVP, and Halloween.

2017 was definitely the most aggressive in terms of reusing being The Shining being the only new property at the event. AHS, Insidious, Blumhouse (Purge in Blum), Titans, Evil Dead, and Saw. 6 of 7.

Which brings us to this year where again is where the lineup is aggressively reused but to a different point.

Since Exorcist, TCM, Halloween 4, and Pandora are all repeats and could very likely be the exact same mazes as they were before so they're more of Returning Mazes. Bride is slightly new but Monsters has been at the event for the past few years so it's a returning IP. Hill House is the only truly new IP this year.

Oh man..I'll never forget This is the End. It's burned into my memory for better or for worse.
Honestly one of my favorite mazes from Hollywood. It was just such a weird IP to tackle, in 3D no less. It wasn't scary but it felt like something that would have been at Rob Zombie's Great American Nightmare at the Pomona Fairplex. I honestly enjoyed the weirdness, it added a fun vibe to the lineup and I wouldn't mind more out of the box ideas like this in the future.

Reactions: deadbydawn
2015 had 5 returning IPs.. Halloween, Insidious, TWD, AVP and Purge on the Tram.. with the only two new mazes being Crimson Peak and This Is The End 3D..
Man, I remember when I went to the Crimson Peak maze early and they had that crew member who like asks trivia questions and gives away shirts and like he was asking questions about the movie which no one had seen so in the end he was talking to himself really. Felt so bad for him but the maze was pretty cool.

I think the fact that people are pointing to KSF as a defense to HHN's faults just shows how far Hollywood has fallen as an event. Knott's shouldn't even be close in comparison to Universal Studios' arsenal of set design and budget.

The black walls and multiple exact-repeats are inexcusable. The black walls are EVERYWHERE. You will rarely see those in Orlando, yet their ticket prices are similar. Anybody that goes to Hollywood and Orlando in the same year can tell the quality difference is massive.

So why has Hollywood had such an drop in quality? I think it's a combination of the budget being overextended, Murdy being burned out, and complacency. Essentially, as long as the event is making enough profit for Universal, there's no need to improve.

I think the fact that people are pointing to KSF as a defense to HHN's faults just shows how far Hollywood has fallen as an event. Knott's shouldn't even be close in comparison to Universal Studios' arsenal of set design and budget.

The black walls and multiple exact-repeats are inexcusable. The black walls are EVERYWHERE. You will rarely see those in Orlando, yet their ticket prices are similar. Anybody that goes to Hollywood and Orlando in the same year can tell the quality difference is massive.

So why has Hollywood had such an drop in quality? I think it's a combination of the budget being overextended, Murdy being burned out, and complacency. Essentially, as long as the event is making enough profit for Universal, there's no need to improve.
Not to mention Universal is owned by Comcast, who isn’t hurting for cash. I can’t believe the budget isn’t infinitely higher.

I have to reluctantly agree. Knotts is great, and I love what they do, but HHN Hollywood has been, and dare I say should be, the best mazes in SoCal. This year may be the least exciting to me, even after missing it for a year. Unless they announce something mind blowing, I may scale back my time at HHN Hollywood.

The problem isn't how much money comcast has the problem is how much they make off the event. Orlando's event draws tourists, Hollywood draws locals. Tourists buy multiple night tickets, hotel rooms and spend wayyyy more than locals. Comcast isn't going to lose money on an event. They could just not have HHN if that were the case.

Man, I remember when I went to the Crimson Peak maze early and they had that crew member who like asks trivia questions and gives away shirts and like he was asking questions about the movie which no one had seen so in the end he was talking to himself really. Felt so bad for him but the maze was pretty cool.
You mean "CRIMSON PEAK IN IMAX?" God that was so painful to hear him tack on at the end every time he said the title... poor guy.

Reactions: Banshee
Website just updated with Exorcist and Pandora’s Box returning. Tickets have also been released.

Website says Frequent Fear Passes and RIP coming soon.
"Updated" is probably a generous term.
"Leaked" would probably be more accurate.

Also, assuming the site isnt a work in progress, tickets appear to be nearly the same prices as 2019. I know there's been a lot of discussion about what should or shouldnt be criticized about this years event. But I think charging the exact same as an event where you had 9 mazes, with only 1 even really close to a direct repeat and only 3 total were IP repeats, for an event with 6 mazes, where 3 are direct repeats, and 4 are IP repeats, is just really unforgivable.
Very simply charging too much for too little.

Exorcist and PB were leaked. Will be officially revealed Thursday morning. Also, did some digging on ticket prices.

Attachments

• 969A572C-3307-4084-8E0F-C0DEE7C54AD3.png
    969A572C-3307-4084-8E0F-C0DEE7C54AD3.png
    251.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 62D90D4A-E1AC-4060-8127-AB8E75238A12.png
    62D90D4A-E1AC-4060-8127-AB8E75238A12.png
    255.4 KB · Views: 47