Halloween Horror Nights 23 Reviews & Photos | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 23 Reviews & Photos

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The pause room is the biggest WTF to me, honestly. Why break the immersion of entering this world? Are video games really so gimmicky that they have to take you out of the experience to remind you that this property is based on a video game? It'd be one thing if it was a room full of actors who were "paused" and then "unpaused" - but I've seen the scene, it's literally just a random vignette of static figures. Unfortunately, great sets alone do not make a good house, so while I'm sure I'll appreciate the artistry, I don't know how I'm going to feel about *even more* zombies. Time will tell.....
Yeah, that's pretty much how I felt. They way they were hyping it up, I expected something to happen in that room, at least occasionally. I get what they're going for, but it still didn't really sit right with me compared to the rest of the house. I just sort of left the room thinking, "that's it?".

I'm not going to mention any names but in Resident Evil a certain OU member got scared out of his mind towards the end of the house. Was pretty funny :lol:

Would that happen to be me? :lol: I know that one house got me really good at the end, but I can't remember which one because I tend to be pretty jumpy in most houses. :lol:

Yeah, that's pretty much how I felt. They way they were hyping it up, I expected something to happen in that room, at least occasionally. I get what they're going for, but it still didn't really sit right with me compared to the rest of the house. I just sort of left the room thinking, "that's it?".

Would that happen to be me? :lol: I know that one house got me really good at the end, but I can't remember which one because I tend to be pretty jumpy in most houses. :lol:

This one happened last night while we were walking thru the house not Friday. I wish I had it on video that's how well the effect worked :lol:

So now that the HHN adrenaline has worn off, I thought of how, as great as this year was, I miss the icon years...so much. I miss when there was an elaborate backstory and you had a personal connection with each house after weeks of research on the intricate website. I miss how every house contributed to an overarching story, and was important to the events overall feel.

Now, as I'm sitting here watching The Evil Dead (the 1981 version), I realize how effective the woods are as a setting for horror movies--atmosphere defines the best horror films, to the point where a solid setting can be a character practically in its own right. And then it dawned on me...would it really have been too much to ask for a backstory and theme and icon this year? You could've tied it in all to the woods.

Cabin, Evil Dead, Walking Dead, La Llorona, and AWiL (to a point) all deal with horror I'm woodsie settings. Havoc could've fit, and Afterlife could've been given a few aesthetic changes to fit in to a foresty-theme. There could've been an icon to tie everything together. A backstory could've been created. Resident Evil wouldn't have been fit but one IP isn't a game-changer for the whole event is it(unless its Walking Dead)? RE would've been a small price to pay for the return of the Iconic Year-esque event.

It would've been the best of both worlds. The event still could've kept its heavy Walking Dead presence and IP-usage. At the same time it would've given the event it's grandeur back, pleasing us hardcore fans. Really, I don't see any reason why this would've been a bad thing. Hopefully Universal hasn't gotten lazy. I really hope we see a year like 2008 again. It can be done even with the current line of IP-thinking. This year could've been a lot better with a little throwback to the good ole days.

Spolier: Pics inside the working mazes

On Saturday night, I had the opportunity to go thru the houses and video the houses, with Universal's permission. Here are some screen caps of a few houses.
9896072385_92517ba91a_b.jpg

9896073515_502a4e69be_b.jpg

^ Cabin In The Woods

9896213113_37b682b328_b.jpg

^ An American Werewolf in London

9896211933_8db397b05b_b.jpg

^ The Walking Dead

9896104176_ea3bb67853_b.jpg

^ The Walking Dead

9896068615_254f15c8db_b.jpg

^Afterlife

9896064925_4b9f1eaa83_b.jpg

^ Afterlife

Last edited:
So now that the HHN adrenaline has worn off, I thought of how, as great as this year was, I miss the icon years...so much. I miss when there was an elaborate backstory and you had a personal connection with each house after weeks of research on the intricate website. I miss how every house contributed to an overarching story, and was important to the events overall feel.

Now, as I'm sitting here watching The Evil Dead (the 1981 version), I realize how effective the woods are as a setting for horror movies--atmosphere defines the best horror films, to the point where a solid setting can be a character practically in its own right. And then it dawned on me...would it really have been too much to ask for a backstory and theme and icon this year? You could've tied it in all to the woods.

Cabin, Evil Dead, Walking Dead, La Llorona, and AWiL (to a point) all deal with horror I'm woodsie settings. Havoc could've fit, and Afterlife could've been given a few aesthetic changes to fit in to a foresty-theme. There could've been an icon to tie everything together. A backstory could've been created. Resident Evil wouldn't have been fit but one IP isn't a game-changer for the whole event is it(unless its Walking Dead)? RE would've been a small price to pay for the return of the Iconic Year-esque event.

It would've been the best of both worlds. The event still could've kept its heavy Walking Dead presence and IP-usage. At the same time it would've given the event it's grandeur back, pleasing us hardcore fans. Really, I don't see any reason why this would've been a bad thing. Hopefully Universal hasn't gotten lazy. I really hope we see a year like 2008 again. It can be done even with the current line of IP-thinking. This year could've been a lot better with a little throwback to the good ole days.

This, so much this. I'm glad someone else gets this. 2007 and 2009 are proof that HHN can please the fans with the grand overarching storytelling while still incorporating major IPs. There really is no excuse.

Michael Aiello hinted surprisingly bluntly on Twitter that the Evil Takes Root tagline/marketing theme (correctly) makes zero sense at this point. Apparently the original street experience would've incorporated it more.

Got to go on Friday and Saturday and had an absolute blast seriously was one of my favorite opening nights in a long time, and can't believe we finally escaped the rain on opening night curse. Lines were all pretty good, but we decided to splurge on the FFP+ +Express passes this year, and we are loving them so far. The majority of these houses are easily in the running for my favorite houses ever, the original Run and the Mining one in with the flash lights will be hard to beat.

Here is my list of rankings and thoughts on the houses so far, which of will likely be completely different by the end of the event. Usually the house I like the least in the beginning ends up being one of my favorites by the end.
There are definitely spoilers in here

1 AWIL: This house is absolutely amazing. The details are top notch, the puppets are amazing, and it follows the entire story of the movie. I think I like this house better than I liked the movie, and I think the werewolf puppets looked better than the movie. Amazing house all around. +1 for the hidden Mickey :p

2 Cabin in the woods: Again another amazing house, I love the little details and that they got to have some shout outs to years past in this house (I didn't see Jack but I did see the puppets from Dead Silence and was that the Thing in there too?). All the monsters looked great and worked incredibly well. I think this house would be tied for first except for the lackluster ways that they used the Mermaid (static puppet) and the Unicorn (Clip from the movie in the Mermaid room).

3 Evil Dead: I'm a huge Evil Dead fan and thought this house did a wonderful job of recreating it. The voice overs were great, the flow was great, and the costumes were great. I'm pretty surprised they put the tree root scene in there, but I guess if you didn't see the movie you would never really understand what was happening.

4 La Llarona: I thought the theming in this house was absolutely amazing. I have never seen a sprung maze facade so impressive. I thought the child puppets were great and there were some pretty impressive moments in the house. I did think it fell flat once you got into swamp land and honestly had no clue what was going on at that point. I can definitely see this house getting stronger as the crew gets more practice

5 Resident Evil: I thought this was an excellent recreation of the game, and was very cleverly done. Leon and Jill being in it was a nice nod along with the typewriter, blue herb, and others. The dogs were pretty good but I hope that whatever is going on with the laundromat gets fixed. Could use a little more action especially in the nemesis rooms. I love the idea of the pause room but someone else had mentioned how great it would be to have actors pausing and unpausing which would be pretty epic.

6 Walking Dead: This was way better than last year's and it actually had zombies in it. The themes were pretty good throughout and it was cool seeing Milton and the heads (was that Mike Aiello's head in the top aquarium?). I like the part where you have to crawl through as its a nice way to create some separation without getting flash lighted and it helps create a sense of dread from being exposed.

7 Afterlife: I really enjoyed the way they used the 3d in this house with the newspapers, but felt like it was a little too techie for the story. Plus it seemed awfully Beetlejuicey with the striped clothes and long arms everywhere. The laser lights were a nice addition and it was fun.

8 Havoc: This was a bit of a dud both nights for us. Way too many cages, felt repetitive, and too narrow like there wasn't enough room for all the Bane's to move around. The voice overs screams were incredibly repetitive and annoying. At the end it did feel like it finally starting getting its legs once the maniacs got their guns and were allowed to be all insane. Luckily there were lots of keypads for us to push (beep boop beep beep beep)

Bill and Ted: Good show but still needs a little work to bring it together some more, which I'm sure will happen and it will be absolutely amazeballs. Thought it was very funny and look forward to see it many many more times. Definitely loved the pokes at Disney.

Street experience: I felt like this was extremely weak this year. I think they need a lot more zombies or something to make it feel more dangerous. The area from the barn to the tent was great but other than that, it didn't feel like there was a lot going on.

I love this year and can't wait to go next weekend and many more times in the future!!

Just got back yesterday. Photos will come later but here's my quick top 8.

1. Werewolf
2. Cabin
3. La Llorona
4. Resident Evil
5. The Walking Dead
6. Evil Dead
7. Havoc
8. Afterlife

I'm not going to mention any names but in Resident Evil a certain OU member got scared out of his mind towards the end of the house. Was pretty funny :lol:

I wouldn't say I was scared out of my mind, just extremely startled. :lol:

I thought I was going to collide with the damn puppet, and the jump/duck combo ended up being funny. Now AWiL, yeah, I was genuinely a little freaked in there once or twice!

I sometimes wish I wasn't so jaded. I have never been even a little bit scared at ANY Halloween event.

Losing a 2 year old at Walmart is scarier than ANYTHING Universal can do.

I sometimes wish I wasn't so jaded. I have never been even a little bit scared at ANY Halloween event.

Losing a 2 year old at Walmart is scarier than ANYTHING Universal can do.

I have been startled many times, but never actually scared. Not sure why since I can't watch thriller movies without being scared ****less. I just don't watch them anymore.

hello, I was reading this thread and seeing the comments on the Pause room for the Resident Evil house.

I think the biggest missed opportunity was that they should have had an actor hidden in that room to scare people. When you see the letters that say paused room, and you see the props,
To me it feels like this is a moment when most people will lower their guard and not worry about an actor scaring them. I know a "paused Game" room should have everything standing still,
But it would have been such a great way to scare people. No one would expect to get scared here,

I did not like the pause game room. The house is so short as it is, and add to that a room with no scares or actors.
Very weird, I can understand making the pause game room, But I cannot understand why not try to scare people in that room. It would have been perfect, unexpected, it would have been a big surprise to get a scare in that room.