Halloween Horror Nights 23 Reviews & Photos | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 23 Reviews & Photos

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
in all my time going to hhn Ive never seen actors breaking character. Kind of interesting to hear. Now I am going to pay closer attention lol.

It's usually really late at night when they start breaking character from what I've seen, because after popping out and yelling at people for 6 or more hours, you really stop caring as much as when you just started. During HHN XX, one of the girls in my group screamed "oh mother!" In the Catacombs Black Death Rising house and the doctor that scared her said "OH MOTHER WHAT!!!!????" It was hysterical and he gave me a high five when I passed by him.

Of these two options, which one would have the smaller crowds and provide the better opportunity to see everything? A Thursday till 12:00 or a Friday till 2:00?

Last edited:
A non-peak Friday is going to be your best in park experience. After midnight crowds are going to start falling off fast.

Thanks. Yeah I really don't have an option this year since my best friend (we always go to HHN together) doesn't want to go because last year was horrible. My other friends at school either can't afford it or there has to be a group of people going for their parents to let them go. So now I have to baby-sit my sister and 4 of her friends at the event Saturday...

in all my time going to hhn Ive never seen actors breaking character. Kind of interesting to hear. Now I am going to pay closer attention lol.

The Jason house from CoC was the worst in regards to breaking character. In ONE walk through, I had one Jason run at me screaming, one high-fiving everyone walking by, and another Jason in eye-shot of the high-five Jason who blew a kiss to my (former) girlfriend. The Thing Assimilation was pretty bad too with all the "get to da choppah" and "Paaacakes" which were screamed at me in a poorly-executed, albeit hilarious, Arnold voice. Usually though, I don't see much character breaking.

Has anyone seen our opening ceremony? Ive seen a video of it and it looks somewhat lame. I hope in the future we get one like hollywoods! it looks like it would be so much fun running with the crowd through the park as the scare actors chase you!

So, HHN round 1. Houses I walked through were:
1. American Werewolf in London (based off the film) - This was really good!
2. Havoc Derailed (prisoners escaping a wrecked train) - Great idea, even though the maze was light as we walked round!!
3. Afterlife: Death's Vengance (An executed serial killer's victims seek revenge after his death) a "3D maze" - 3D glasses made laser lights look very trippy.
4. La Llorona (Mexian skull things.) Utter ****e.

American Werewolf was my fave tonight -

The sets, costume, masks and makeup are amazing, but that's what runs the show. The scare-actors mostly don't do ANY thing other than startle scares. No chase ons, no drop downs! Most of the time they just stand in their spot, press a button which activates light/sound and jump out. Easy job hey!!

The "scare zones" which are areas of the park outdoors were really good, they're all based off Walking Dead this year!

We're going back to do the other 4 houses and the 2 shows another night next week

Updated review after last night (my second night of the year)[My first review from opening night for reference]:

1) Cabin in the Woods - Both Cabin in the Woods and American Werewolf in London are insane houses and it's hard to pick a favorite. If CitW wasn't a dream house of mine, I'd probably give AWiL my #1 spot without any questions because it's easily one of the best houses I've ever been in. However, I love CitW (the movie), so seeing that movie come to life was insane. Plus, the scares were plentiful for me.
1) American Werewolf in London - See above
3) Havoc 2- Underrated as hell. The cast is phenomenal and the energy levels in the house were the highest I've seen at the event this year by far. Both of my walkthroughs were incredible (one right at park opening with no other guests around me and one with a conga line) and filled with the same level of intensity. I didn't get to do the house on opening night, so I'm curious to see what everyone who was disappointed with it thinks of it this weekend.
4) Evil Dead - After a disappointing opening night walkthrough, this house has completely redeemed itself. I got to do two walkthroughs in the last 30 minutes of the night and the cast has already drastically improved and the house has finally "clicked" for me.
5) Afterlife - I really need another walkthrough of this house before completely judging it, but I really liked it. It seemed more disorienting that The In-Between, though I'm not sure if the scare level is quite there yet (there are some fantastic scares though).
6) Resident Evil - A really solid house with great sets. I don't know anything about the games (or the movies), but I still came out extremely satisfied with the house. (NoteL Same review as before because I did not do the house last night)
7) La Llorona - I gave the house a second chance last night and it's still really underwhelming. I'm still hopeful that it'll improve, but as of right now, I only like it for its set & facade.
8) The Walking Dead - The only good thing I can really say about The Walking Dead is that it's better than last year's house. I really didn't do much for me. I feel like this is another one than will drastically improve by the end of the event, but I'm definitely tired of the property at this point. (Note: Same review as before because I did not do the house last night)

Bill & Ted - An excellent show this year. There's a few brief comedic "misses" in the middle of the show, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. I look forward to rewatching the show a few times this year.

Reactions: Hockeyman55
Yay photos!

9976112576_9eef346016_z.jpg

9976192903_13e3551afa_z.jpg

9976116276_a17fe7f7ca_z.jpg

9976045075_6abe73ea70_z.jpg

So my third time last night went pretty well.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but...I'm actually starting to warm up to The Walking Dead a little bit. Both No Safe Haven and the streets are getting a lot more energy to them. I actually got a few decent scares. Hopefully it'll just keep getting better, but overall I still pray this is the last time we see TWD at HHN, as I think it indeed has overstayed its welcome.

Also, AWIL still keeps blowing me away at how awesome it is. It's the greatest house since The Thing: Assimilation. Seriously, if I could get married to a house, that one would be the one to be my lovely bride. Just flawless.

Looking forward to going back once again tonight.

I'm probably going to get flamed for saying this, but am I the only one that really didn't care for American Werewolf?

I've been through a plethora of haunted houses and seen a lot of puppetry, and I just wasn't impressed with the werewolves. Don't get me wrong, the detail and set design of the house is phenomenal, but I've been through the house now 4 times and always leave a little disappointed.

I'm probably going to get flamed for saying this, but am I the only one that really didn't care for American Werewolf?

I've been through a plethora of haunted houses and seen a lot of puppetry, and I just wasn't impressed with the werewolves. Don't get me wrong, the detail and set design of the house is phenomenal, but I've been through the house now 4 times and always leave a little disappointed.

Heretic. :lol: