Halloween Horror Nights 23 Reviews & Photos | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 23 Reviews & Photos

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm probably going to get flamed for saying this, but am I the only one that really didn't care for American Werewolf?

I've been through a plethora of haunted houses and seen a lot of puppetry, and I just wasn't impressed with the werewolves. Don't get me wrong, the detail and set design of the house is phenomenal, but I've been through the house now 4 times and always leave a little disappointed.

Have you seen the movie?

So my third time last night went pretty well.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but...I'm actually starting to warm up to The Walking Dead a little bit. Both No Safe Haven and the streets are getting a lot more energy to them. I actually got a few decent scares. Hopefully it'll just keep getting better, but overall I still pray this is the last time we see TWD at HHN, as I think it indeed has overstayed its welcome.

Also, AWIL still keeps blowing me away at how awesome it is. It's the greatest house since The Thing: Assimilation. Seriously, if I could get married to a house, that one would be the one to be my lovely bride. Just flawless.

Looking forward to going back once again tonight.

I felt the same about Walking Dead...

Well the first weekend I kind of hated the streets because I wanted more variety. I Also saw the videos posted on youtube for the Walking Dead house and they didn't look that great. I did the house that friday and didn't really get scared.

But now the house for me feels really really good. I got a lot of scares and I appreciated everything more. The house went up for me big time. I am starting to love it now. Specially since it is such an improvement from last year.
The streets are starting to grow on me as well. I love the barn, I spend a good amount of time around the Barn area.
so yeah definitely I can relate.

I'm probably going to get flamed for saying this, but am I the only one that really didn't care for American Werewolf?

I've been through a plethora of haunted houses and seen a lot of puppetry, and I just wasn't impressed with the werewolves. Don't get me wrong, the detail and set design of the house is phenomenal, but I've been through the house now 4 times and always leave a little disappointed.

I Think I know why.
Maybe the reason it is because here in Orlando we are not used to seeing puppets like this. (Specially so close to the guests) Yes we have had props before, But nothing like this.

I do not remember ever seeing puppets that moved so much and felt so real. So, if you have done houses or mazes in other places or states and they used really really hood puppets. Then I can understand why AWIL wouldn't surprise you as much.

But at least for me, this is an amazing treat. I really cannot recall any time that we had such amazing puppets as these.

Yep. The first time I went through the house I hadn't, but after going through, I decided to watch the movie. I don't know, I just really don't get the love for it.

Yeah, I was going to say that maybe that has a lot to do with everyone's appreciation for it, but Tbad kinda proved that theory wrong lol. All I can say is that, for me personally, a lot of my enjoyment of the house comes from my love for the film and the appreciation I have for the attention to detail they put into recreating the memorable scenes from the film. Was it the most intense house? No. Was it the most original house? Obviously not. But the fact that they put so much care into it really affects my appreciation for it, and if I didn't love the movie so much I don't think I would quite appreciate it as much. That being said, I'm still surprised regardless that you didn't think the puppets were impressive--they straight up terrified me the first time haha. The length and immersiveness of the house is also a big plus. But just like it's source material, I can see how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

I Think I know why.
Maybe the reason it is because here in Orlando we are not used to seeing puppets like this. (Specially so close to the guests) Yes we have had props before, But nothing like this.

I do not remember ever seeing puppets that moved so much and felt so real. So, if you have done houses or mazes in other places or states and they used really really hood puppets. Then I can understand why AWIL wouldn't surprise you as much.

But at least for me, this is an amazing treat. I really cannot recall any time that we had such amazing puppets as these.

Most of the werewolves had blaring, completely unnecessary strobes on them. Not only that, but most of them are audio queued, which again, is only scary if you're the one standing right in front.

Yeah, I was going to say that maybe that has a lot to do with everyone's appreciation for it, but Tbad kinda proved that theory wrong lol. All I can say is that, for me personally, a lot of my enjoyment of the house comes from my love for the film and the appreciation I have for the attention to detail they put into recreating the memorable scenes from the film. Was it the most intense house? No. Was it the most original house? Obviously not. But the fact that they put so much care into it really affects my appreciation for it, and if I didn't love the movie so much I don't think I would quite appreciate it as much. That being said, I'm still surprised regardless that you didn't think the puppets were impressive--they straight up terrified me the first time haha. The length and immersiveness of the house is also a big plus. But just like it's source material, I can see how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

I'll agree with you on the length and level of detail on the house. Like you said, though, it could just be the source material as well.

Most of the werewolves had blaring, completely unnecessary strobes on them. Not only that, but most of them are audio queued, which again, is only scary if you're the one standing right in front.

I'll agree with you on the length and level of detail on the house. Like you said, though, it could just be the source material as well.

the light and the loud sounds are what makes this so scary for me though lol. Seeing the puppets is one thing, but hearing those sounds and having the lights flash makes it scarier for me.

I know maybe it is just me but those two things help a lot. I don't think it would as scary if it didn't have the strobe lights

Alright, since I'm supposed to be studying for a test, I'll just rank the houses on how well I thought each one was for now and elaborate on them later.

1# An American Werewolf in London
2# The Cabin in the Woods
3# The Walking Dead: No Safe Haven
4# Resident Evil
5# Havoc 2: Derailed
6# Evil Dead
7# La Llurona (sorry if I spelled it wrong)
8# Afterlife: Death's Vengeance (absolutely squandered potential. Pitiful)

It's funny to me that all of the houses that Murdy knocks out of the park fall flat once they get to Orlando.

Orlando doesn't get the freedom that Hollywood gets... that goes for content (sexuality, gore, language) as well as practical elements (puppetry, show scenes).

I mean, the casts in la Lorna seemed like they weren't even trying. They just stood there half of the time and expected us to get scared by that. No one even attempted to scare me the whole event, once they got even somewhat close, they backed away. I don't get it. :shrug:

It's funny to me that all of the houses that Murdy knocks out of the park fall flat once they get to Orlando.

That's not true at all, though. La Llorona is one of my favorite houses this year, and the event just started so I'm sure that it will only get better to those who had less lucky runs than I did. Alice Cooper was pretty strong last year for what it was. The Walking Dead has been getting praise this year, it's just overshadowed by two incredible houses (AWiL and CitW) that aren't in Hollywood at all. It's all subjective, but I wouldn't say that anything falls flat here, when compared to Murdy's work.

That's not true at all, though. La Llorona is one of my favorite houses this year, and the event just started so I'm sure that it will only get better to those who had less lucky runs than I did. Alice Cooper was pretty strong last year for what it was. The Walking Dead has been getting praise this year, it's just overshadowed by two incredible houses (AWiL and CitW) that aren't in Hollywood at all. It's all subjective, but I wouldn't say that anything falls flat here, when compared to Murdy's work.

I disagree. In my opinion, La Llorona is pretty rough minus the sets and Alice Cooper was quite weak as well. Compared to what I've seen of the Hollywood versions, it's a bit disappointing. Also, I've heard far more negative than positive about The Walking Dead house this year. I'd have to agree with Jymmy here.

I'm wondering if you experienced Hollywood's La Llarona or Alice Cooper? From everyone who has been to both, it sounds like Murdy's passion for the projects didn't make the trip over with the properties.

And yes, Hollywood gets a lot more leverage. I am honestly shocked to hear about you guys having trouble with toned down events. I remember going through Hostel in Hollywood and having a gun pointed in my face in one room and having the sacreactor scream "ARE YOU F$&%ING READY???" directly at me right when I walked through the door. Followed by witnessing someone get their eye plucked out :lol:

I'm wondering if you experienced Hollywood's La Llarona or Alice Cooper? From everyone who has been to both, it sounds like Murdy's passion for the projects didn't make the trip over with the properties.

I have only seen videos and numerous reviews of Hollywood...so I cannot disagree that Hollywood may have better incarnations of certain houses. But I can disagree that the East Coast versions of West Coast counterparts fall flat, because I've quite enjoyed the houses brought over from the West Coast.

As to the opinions about La Llorona and Walking Dead...well they're just that, opinions. I loved La Llorona and can't wait to go back through it as many times as I can, and while I haven't been to Walking Dead yet, a lot of friends of mine have been very impressed with it (this site is not the only source of reviews :lol: )

I have only seen videos and numerous reviews of Hollywood...so I cannot disagree that Hollywood may have better incarnations of certain houses. But I can disagree that the East Coast versions of West Coast counterparts fall flat, because I've quite enjoyed the houses brought over from the West Coast.

As to the opinions about La Llorona and Walking Dead...well they're just that, opinions. I loved La Llorona and can't wait to go back through it as many times as I can, and while I haven't been to Walking Dead yet, a lot of friends of mine have been very impressed with it (this site is not the only source of reviews :lol: )

Most of the reviews/house rankings I've seen from people on other HHN sites along with reviews from people I've met at the event have been fairly lackluster towards the house as well. :shrug:

Orlando doesn't get the freedom that Hollywood gets... that goes for content (sexuality, gore, language) as well as practical elements (puppetry, show scenes).

I think it also has to deal with budget and space. I dont know if they use more of the budget over there, They probably have more to work with.

I Love La llorona, but even as a fan it feels like an afterthought. Over there the houses that Murdy does are the hightlight of the year, the main event (sort of speak)
here Alice Cooper and llorona are "just the 8th house" lol, just the 8th house

Most of the reviews/house rankings I've seen from people on other HHN sites along with reviews from people I've met at the event have been fairly lackluster towards the house as well. :shrug:

Honestly, I think that when looking at HHN sites and things like that, a lot of the criticism for Walking Dead stems from the fact that nobody really wanted it around anymore. HHN fan sites generally care about getting back to original content, and see the over-saturation of IP's, especially the Walking Dead, as a huge negative. I honestly believe that affects people's enjoyment of the house. When you're in the know and are part of a dedicated fan-base, you have different expectations and look for different things. I joined this site after my first few run-throughs of HHN 22 and I honestly thought Walking Dead was one of the better houses (not a huge achievement, I know) before coming here and seeing all the criticism for it.

For the most part, aside from places like this, I've heard pretty good things about the Walking Dead. I haven't gotten to do it, but everyone that went this weekend told me I shouldn't miss it. Bottom line, while I can't compare to Hollywood completely accurately, I can say that I don't think any houses from the West Coast have fallen flat over here in Orlando.