Halloween Horror Nights 23 Speculation | Page 70 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 23 Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So I have read past posts that everyone wants a theme and an icon for HHN. So they give us that and we are upset about it? If Uni came out and "created" a new zombie Jake and his world and legion of zombies, I suspect everyone would be getting so excited to see what the creative team comes up with. But because its not an original concept we hate the idea. If you are that upset, then dont go, that is the only way you will make a statement. However, coming from a marketing background, this move towards IPs is genius and to be honest long over due. We have friends that we have tried to get to come to HHN for years. Last year was their first time and why did they come? Walking Dead. And we are the exact demographic that Uni wants coming to these events (coincidence that WD has the same demographics). Just because you may not like the WD or the other IPs dont automatically assume it is going to suck. We havent even seen the final product and you guys act like Uni just gave us Figment part 2 or Stitchs great escape. I would even say it is harder for creative to live up to expectations when using IPs, because the fans of those IPs are going to know a lot about them and you better make it special or they are really not going to be happy. Everybody is correct this is all about $$$, but again I go back to recent history for CC. When you give them extra cash, they do some amazing things.
So take a deep breath, and realize that even if this turns out to be the worst HHN ever, it is still a GGT (guaranteed great time :) ). As you can tell I am excited and I will be watching every IP product to get ready for the event (I was not a WD fan last year, but wish I had watched the series before I went into the house, wont make that mistake this year, including RHPS which is outstanding).

You can't guarantee that.
Last year was first time I didn't have a great time. Most the houses sucked the streets sucked and the crowds sucked.]
throw out the, tired old, don't go argument because besides HOS where else are you going to really go?
We Had WD last year and it wasn't good, that is just one of the things I find upsetting about the second straight overly IP heavy HHNs..

My major gripe, as it stands now, is that we're seeming to get another "Park-wide" experience. It didn't work for HHN 17, and definitely didn't work last year. I think people have a right to express some concern. It's not so much that it is an IP, because HHN 2009 showed that IP's could be great, but that it's the WHOLE focus. I really hope that it's just the focus of Street Experiences and that they do offer Scarezones to offer some variety.

Hopefully they will announce a cohesive theme later on, thats one thing I'll give them, in the past all of the houses don't make sense by themselves, but they find some underlying theme to tie them together...last year was the first year we didn't get that unfortunately..hopefully it comes back this

We Had WD last year and it wasn't good, that is just one of the things I find upsetting about the second straight overly IP heavy HHNs..

That would be your opinion that it was not good. I will agree because of the WD location, it was substantially better at night though. I know many people that went last year and thought it was great house. I would rank it 4 or 5th from last year but still thought it was fun house to go through.

throw out the, tired old, don't go argument because besides HOS where else are you going to really go?
So what else are you going to do, other than complain about it. I mean if you didnt have a good time last year then your only real recourse is to not give CC your money. If enough people share your sentiment then maybe things will change.

As for the connection, I am doing this more for my benefit as I have not thought this through too much. But here goes.
- WD has zombies and the undead
- Cabin in the woods has zombies and a whole Zombie redneck family; plus it has an evil book (reference from Evil Dead). And a Merman, who doesnt want to see that!
- ED also has the book again, plus the undead. While the undead are technically not zombies, only zombie elitist would know the difference :) I mean come on the girl in basement looks like a zombie
- Resident Evil - Whole city of zombies

I am not familiar with the others, but even if the other houses have nothing to do with these four, that is still half of the houses and street experience that are in league with zombies. I just hope they have an iteractive Plants vs Zombies exhibits.

Regardless of all the debates, HHN is an awesome experience. I would hate for people thinking about going to the event coming to this site or HHNs facebook page and thinking its going to be awful. I know some years will be better than others, but the overall experience and immersion into haunts is pretty incredible.

Tecnically, WD does not have Zombies. They have Walkers. I don't think people really have a problem with the houses, but the overall event (theme, zones)

I don't think the IP concept really bothers anyone massivley. Since year one of the event there has been IP's in the event's venus and since year two there have been IP haunts. Almost every year has had at least one house themed to a liscensed, and sometimes not(All Night Die In)

I think it is a bit of the fact that it is IP overload...but mostly the fact that a lot of the heart and spirit of the event feel gone. Ray Keim and others who made past websites as an exposition to the art of the show, while slowly developing a theme and story that they were trying to tell is gone. It has been slipping away since HHN20 and made a mild come back in 21 but no where near the previous years when they were strong in that.

Evil Takes Root just seems to be an overall catchphrase more than the storytelling of the past. Nothing has been shown to link them altogether. Even in IP heavy years like 19, the first thing we saw was a theater ticket booth and three big name posters outside. It was selling the start of the story of the Universal palace. So it can be done in good theme and taste.

When you're paying the rising premiums Universal charges for Halloween Horror Nights, you'd better expect the best. When you're paying for a glorified advertisement and not actual engaging content, IP-related or otherwise... that's weak. When there's no heart and soul in the event due to the increasing and increasing focus on the IPs, it's even weaker.

Also: There's a very big difference between original content and IP-content... with original content, Universal is beholden to no one but themselves. With IPs, Uni is beholden to AMC, New Line, whoever - and they're often extremely restrictive, as we saw from AMC last year.

Again, the problem ISN'T IPs. The problem is overselling ONE IP and giving it too much space. With 19 and 17, there was a heavy, heavy use of IP content, but it wasn't an over-saturation of one IP. Having the WD get it's own house (for a second year in a row) PLUS giving it a massive amount of SZs and street space (presumably, based on their horribly-worded press release) is just too much.

Again, the problem ISN'T IPs. The problem is overselling ONE IP and giving it too much space. With 19 and 17, there was a heavy, heavy use of IP content, but it wasn't an over-saturation of one IP. Having the WD get it's own house (for a second year in a row) PLUS giving it a massive amount of SZs and street space (presumably, based on their horribly-worded press release) is just too much.

I would say that it is a big part of my problem when its so over barring two years in a row.

Expect a Winters Night level of theming and gag effects in the WD house this year :look:

If beggars could be choosers, I'd rather have a World War Z house than Walking Dead again. There were different locations that they could recreate. But most importantly, those rabid ant people zombies were pretty dynamic and would be a perfect fit for HHN scareactors. They could even have something to make their jaw clicking sounds... Creepy!

Obviously, they've built a relationship with AMC now and it would make sense that they're continuing the WD saga, especially with how popular it is. We all see and understand the reasons behind it, but it still doesn't change the fact that it's less originality, less variety, and on top of it overkill.

Exactly. IP are gonna be there, and as much as we prefer original creative content, we will have to deal with that... but this is saturating this event with a single IP...

:bonk:

I would say that it is a big part of my problem when its so over barring two years in a row.

I don't think last year was bad because of IP's. Sure, WD is not a good IP for creative, but I find the notion that we're using more IP's than ever and THAT'S what the problem is to be ridiculous. And the events do come in waves of IP and non-IP. XVII had NOES, Friday the 13th, Chucky, Texas Chainsaw, The Thing, and Dead Silence. XIX had Saw, Chucky, Wolfman, Dracula, Frankenstein, and SS (which was basically a multi-IP house).

IP's in general aren't the issue. The WD is an issue, and it's overuse is an issue, but IP's have been around (heavily) for a long time now.

I don't think last year was bad because of IP's. Sure, WD is not a good IP for creative, but I find the notion that we're using more IP's than ever and THAT'S what the problem is to be ridiculous. And the events do come in waves of IP and non-IP. XVII had NOES, Friday the 13th, Chucky, Texas Chainsaw, The Thing, and Dead Silence. XIX had Saw, Chucky, Wolfman, Dracula, Frankenstein, and SS (which was basically a multi-IP house).

IP's in general aren't the issue. The WD is an issue, and it's overuse is an issue, but IP's have been around (heavily) for a long time now.

IMO, it was IP overload last year, not the sole reasons I didn't like most houses, but the only ones I enjoyed were originals....

The chucky house was a toy factory that featured Chuckles not a "movie" house
Dracula and Frankenstein where unique house that just featured their characters .
And Silver Screams at least felt like a tribute that at least fit the theme and back story very well.

Expect a Winters Night level of theming and gag effects in the WD house this year :look:

Sounds good to me... I enjoyed the WD house last year...particularly the motor home and the barn ...I thought it was a good job of representing the show and dont mind a new house on the same IP

I actually like to see IP's at Universal since I am on the side of the fence that likes the old "ride the movies" aspect of Universal Studios. whether its done well or not is another story but having an Ip or not makes no difference to me just make a good house out of it (and they almost always do IMO)

I have been to 13 HHN's and last year was the first time (other than the houses and Bill and Ted which I enjoy regardless of anything else) I really didnt feel like it was that great. the street experience was almost non existent the night I went ...I saw 2 of the hordes and the same one 3 other times...maybe they were following me? but it was boring any time I was not in a house. I am hoping for the best this year and it sounds like it will be better. Again i dont care what the theme is as long as there is actually something going on outside other than mini parades of "hordes"

I have been to 13 HHN's and last year was the first time (other than the houses and Bill and Ted which I enjoy regardless of anything else) I really didnt feel like it was that great. the street experience was almost non existent the night I went ...I saw 2 of the hordes and the same one 3 other times...maybe they were following me? but it was boring any time I was not in a house. I am hoping for the best this year and it sounds like it will be better. Again i dont care what the theme is as long as there is actually something going on outside other than mini parades of "hordes"

I feel the same exact way. The streets were a big let down and one of the aspects of the event I really like. Didnt feel like anything special at all.

IMO, it was IP overload last year, not the sole reasons I didn't like most houses, but the only ones I enjoyed were originals....

The chucky house was a toy factory that featured Chuckles not a "movie" house

Dracula and Frankenstein where unique house that just featured their characters .
And Silver Screams at least felt like a tribute that at least fit the theme and back story very well.

Isn't that splitting hairs? I'm just saying that it's execution/limitation, and NOT the fact that it's an IP. If last year was IP overload, then so was Carnival of Carnage and Ripped from the Silver Screen. Which if that's your argument, then that is your opinion and a possibly valid one. I'm just saying that last year and this year aren't some crazy new trend.

Isn't that splitting hairs? I'm just saying that it's execution/limitation, and NOT the fact that it's an IP. If last year was IP overload, then so was Carnival of Carnage and Ripped from the Silver Screen. Which if that's your argument, then that is your opinion and a possibly valid one. I'm just saying that last year and this year aren't some crazy new trend.
I remember when people said Carnival of Carnage was sooo IP heavy...looking back on it, that was nothing...The new trend is completely negating story or theme for IPs..Carnival and Ripped at least had an icon and an interactive website as well as many original houses and zones (at least ripped did)...The fact is the last two years have decreased in quality that once made HHNs great..in my opinion there is nothing holding it in the #1 spot anymore minus budget..HOS has been getting better and better and soon people will notice..