Halloween Horror Nights 24 Discussion | Page 72 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 24 Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm going to call BS. Literally none of that is true. Interstellar Terror was based off of Event Horizon, while HAVOC cheaply (but effectively) reused the sets of The Spawning (and Dead Exposure and Clown-O-Vision before it); there's literally no way they were prepping a Bioshock house in that location, not to mention that time... the movie was barely in pre-production, they wouldn't produce a tie-in house until much closer to the film's release date when an actual production design had been established.
Film rights were acquired and the game at the time was popular. Many of the props were reused, but the base walls were all new. You never wondered why there were circular viewing portals like those in a submarine in a "military base"? EDIT: This was also closer to the time Bioshock II was released, so the franchise was still fresh.

You realize you can't have a house that "doesn't get the rights" but then "pretty much uses the same concept anyway," right? There has to be some plausible deniability in the design. When AWIL rights got nixed in 2012, we didn't get "generic Werewolf house with suspiciously similar sets with some changes," we got Silent Hill.
All Nite Die In (2003), begs to differ. Rights only matter when a character is directly identified in marketing or in-park print materials as the copyrighted character. Not to mention that the Body Collectors are literally The Gentlemen from Buffy.

Dead Space has been looked at, granted, but it wasn't in 2008. Much more recently, actually.

Also, no Sega houses, unless you're referring to that awful Alien vs. Predator games they make. The Alien vs. Predator house will take more from the films.

Nice try, though.
I think you need to remove Predator from your mindset, and start thinking about a house that will make you feel a little more isolated.

Anyways, I worked in the graphics department of Universal for 5 years, up until 2009. In my first few years I was on the hands-on portion, sign making and installation, before I moved to a desk job creating graphics themselves. Graphics department is directly tied with legal, as all of their work has to be approved by legal. I'm still pretty close with a few of the guys since we all attended DAVE School together.

Last edited:
Film rights were acquired and the game at the time was popular. Many of the props were reused, but the base walls were all new. You never wondered why there were circular viewing portals like those in a submarine in a "military base"? EDIT: This was also closer to the time Bioshock II was released, so the franchise was still fresh.

All Nite Die In (2003), begs to differ. Rights only matter when a character is directly identified in marketing or in-park print materials as the copyrighted character. Not to mention that the Body Collectors are literally The Gentlemen from Buffy.

I think you need to remove Predator from your mindset, and start thinking about a house that will make you feel a little more isolated.

Anyways, I worked in the graphics department of Universal for 5 years, up until 2009. In my first few years I was on the hands-on portion, sign making and installation, before I moved to a desk job creating graphics themselves. Graphics department is directly tied with legal, as all of their work has to be approved by legal. I'm still pretty close with a few of the guys since we all attended DAVE School together.

Again, you're completely wrong and showing your ignorance. What props, exactly, from Dead Exposure, Spawning or Clown-O-Vision were reused? HAVOC's walls and layout were almost entirely identical to those previous mazes. The reason those "submarine windows" are there is because they were there in Spawning, where you were in, you know, a sewer... they were also in Dead Exposure. That layout/house design also in no place resembles the Rapture of Bioshock. There aren't submarine windows down there, unless you're in the tiny Bathosphere (which wouldn't be included in the house for obvious reasons) - there are giant viewing windows.

Doesn't matter when the film rights were acquired. No official Bioshock tie-in house was ever planned. Believe me, if it had anything to do with the film rights, it never would've even been considered until the film was nearing release. Oh, and by the way, you got your facts on the film wrong, too - the issues were budgetary, but only because Universal wasn't willing to invest 100 million+ to make an R-rated blockbuster. They were willing to do so for a PG-13 film, but Ken Levine declined since it wouldn't be true to the property. (That story can be attributed to Levine himself in articles all over the net. No idea where your version came from.)

All Night Die-In would never be something they'd attempt nowadays with legal breathing down their throats. Hell, the sequel in 2006 faced a lot of problems since license holders (fairly) raised legal concern over Samara's appearance in The Ring sequence. Rights *do* matter - right by parody and plausible deniability are only going to get you so far. Universal has some sort of agreement with Joss Whedon, since Buffy and its characters (including the Gentlemen) have appeared officially in Universal Hollywood prior to their first appearances in Florida. The Gentlemen, by the way, have been used in official marketing materials (2005 and 2008).

Nope. It's Alien vs. Predator. Alien Isolation isn't happening (though that's cute that you tried to be cryptic about it... you're no Teebin and you shouldn't try to be).

Now see, this all makes sense. Clearly some bus-driver like rumors got passed around the DAVE school and that's where you're getting all this. That said, let's not pollute the actual narrative, shall we?

Silent Hill could have been a tremendous house, but there were aspects that felt like they didn't go 100% on namely Pyramid Head. It all depends on how they adapt to what needs to change in order for the house to be successful. There were times that even Werewolf and Cabin under-performed from their ability.

Silent Hill could have been a tremendous house, but there were aspects that felt like they didn't go 100% on namely Pyramid Head. It all depends on how they adapt to what needs to change in order for the house to be successful. There were times that even Werewolf and Cabin under-performed from their ability.

Silent hill had tremendous potential and if they really went all out with the designs I promise you we'd probably be talking about it now like AWIL. Resident evil had great potential too but they tried to be funny with it and it just didn't work out. Real shame

Silent Hill was basically adapted from the movie only. Most of the house was like the movie, Even the "bathroom guy" and the way pyramid head looked.

To me Silent Hill is STILL a movie house,
Of course some stuff from the movie and the game are very similar but when I was in the house it all felt like the movie to me. It didn't make me feel like it was based on the game, If anything the Hollywood version looked like it was based more on the game, more than the Orlando house was.

Resident Evil for me is the first game house since it was very different from the movies.

Last edited:
Silent Hill was basically adapted from the movie only. Most of the house was like the movie, Even the "bathroom guy" and the way pyramid head looked.

To me Silent Hill is STILL a movie house,
Of course some stuff from the movie and the game are very similar but when I was in the house it all felt like the movie to me. It didn't make me feel like it was based on the game, If anything the Hollywood version looked like it was based more on the game, more than the Orlando house was.

Resident Evil for me is the first game house since it was very different from the movies.

The only "game" character was the Boogeyman, who randomly appeared in movie scenes without any context. From what I understand A&D watched the two films and based the house off that, including Boogeyman since he was the most prominent character in the most recent game at the time (Downpour). They didn't play the games.

That house also had to be shoehorned relatively last minute into American Werewolf in London's layout, which didn't help matters...

Alien: Isolation
Halloween
Walking Dead: Asylum
Killer Clowns
The Purge: Anarchy
Universal Monsters: Unleashed
The Strain
9th house - Ghost/Haunting themed, possible retheme as a Legendary Truth house

Halloween
Killer Clowns
The Strain

What exactly is this list supposed to be?

I would love to see Killer Clowns!

You do know they announced From Dusk Till Dawn, it just didn't make your list?

Halloween
Killer Clowns
The Strain

Alright, now you're just trolling. Nice try (well, not even), but game over.

The only "game" character was the Boogeyman, who randomly appeared in movie scenes without any context. From what I understand A&D watched the two films and based the house off that, including Boogeyman since he was the most prominent character in the most recent game at the time (Downpour). They didn't play the games.

That house also had to be shoehorned relatively last minute into American Werewolf in London's layout, which didn't help matters...

I knew it, it was just too obvious. I almost wish they did Silent Hill again just so that they would base it on the games this time and with a good layout.

Halloween
Killer Clowns
The Strain

Alien: Isolation would be good, the game is yet to release in October but it could just be an Alien themed house, when's the last time we saw one of those at HHN?

- - - Updated - - -

Dead Space would be awesome if they couldn't get aliens :)

I don't know about Dead Space, the franchise kind of left off on a bad note. A lot of people were complaining that Dead Space 3 didn't demonstrate the theme of survival-horror as much as the first two games.

Halloween
Killer Clowns
The Strain

78980-Anchorman-LOVE-gif-Will-Ferrel-xNnY.gif

Reactions: graspthesun
Well not that we in Orlando follow Hollywood's announcement scheduled. Though Murdy said looking like next week. I would only say we have 3 big announcements left and the rest for the reveal week.