Halloween Horror Nights 26 Discussion | Page 158 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 26 Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
i get your point but I dont see how the rusted gates and wooden doors in my pic are any more scary than the props from the zones inside the park... that doesnt look scary to me at all.

if that was the case then they would remove all HHN decorations during the day. i dont think people like seeing pumpkins or skulls or creepy rotten boats lol

Even the movie logos they always use every year at the entrance are more scary than gate decorations. Last year we had a drawing of an insane clown hanging from the gate.

it might be because of rock the universe but that really sucks, this little 2 day concert thing ruining HHN's gates lol

Maybe! I honestly don't know if it's for budget or time. I do think you're underselling the idea that having things out front makes us happy but maybe not the GP.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Maybe! I honestly don't know if it's for budget or time. I do think you're underselling the idea that having things out front makes us happy but maybe not the GP.

I wonder if they did ever get complaints about the decorations outside the gates?

Personally, I like the outer gates decorations assuming they are relevant to the event at hand. HHN19 with the theater recreation, Usher in the ticket booth, and roaming Usher minions was fantastic. The decorations for 2013 were good, but had no significance for the event so it felt like wasted money.

This year I think they could get away with simple red curtains hanging off the gate to represent us stepping into Chance's theater of the mind. Simple, thematic, and not in any way controversial to the outside guest.

My ex's son, around 6 at the time, used to freak out over the Bloody Mary billboard, would not look at it. There's something to be said for keeping the entrance low-key for the daytime Minion/Potter crowd.

There's no real "curb appeal" to the gate. I imagine the percentage of guests who just wander into CityWalk and end up buying an HHN ticket is negligible.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
Universal doesn't need to theme the gate to advertise HHN. If you are in the park during the day YOU KNOW there's somethings Halloween going as there's plenty of signs and props. There is no way someone will somehow end up without seeing some type of HHN advert.

Reactions: SeventyOne
My ex's son, around 6 at the time, used to freak out over the Bloody Mary billboard, would not look at it. There's something to be said for keeping the entrance low-key for the daytime Minion/Potter crowd.

There's no real "curb appeal" to the gate. I imagine the percentage of guests who just wander into CityWalk and end up buying an HHN ticket is negligible.

Universal doesn't need to theme the gate to advertise HHN. If you are in the park during the day YOU KNOW there's somethings Halloween going as there's plenty of signs and props. There is no way someone will somehow end up without seeing some type of HHN advert.

I agree that the gates should be low key so as not to scare the daytime crowd and suspect that considerations such as that and budgets are why we no longer see much in the way of arch decorations. Ironically, we still have the house posters up during the day which can be just as, if not more, disturbing than any arch design they have ever built.

I never saw the decorated gates as advertising so much as the prelude to the story at hand. As the event has moved away from cohesive stories, the decorated arches have become less and less relevant.

I will say the one exception to people who happen to be in CW being lured to HHN by advertising is convention groups. Many convention guests are often looking for something fun to do in the evening and HHN is ideal for that, especially when the party aspect of the event is advertised.

Why spend money on something people are going to pass right under and head inside..I always wondered why they wasted budget on that LED screen back in the day

Well, the event was successful before they started decorating the gate. So...
Exactly..

I think part of the minimized decorations may be a result of September and October becoming less of a slow period. It's possible they don't want it to look too over the top for day guests.
The day product is certainly important..I think it is more of a budgetary thing, One or two more street props would be a good trade for me..

Reactions: snayberry