Halloween Horror Nights 27 General Discussion | Page 18 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 27 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Query: the community complained quite a bit about seeing backstage at Disney with the Express Bus system.

Why does Universal, which we say is meant to be a competitor for Disney in terms of quality, get a pass for throwing people in backstage areas?

Heck, Disney probably decided they could get away with it because of how often Universal does it.

It's a cop-out, but the rules are different for HHN. I think the fandom has always accepted some degradation in show quality because they recognized that the event was creating 6 (now 9) E-tickets from scratch, that in dada-esque fashion disappear forever after a month and a half. Also, adults-only event, so not ruining the "magic" for kids, yadda yadda.

To borrow wrestling terminology, HHN has always been a "smart-mark" event. The backstage peeks gave it more street cred. But even the smartest of marks don't expect Hulk Hogan to go out in the middle of Raw and talk about how the industry is staged.

You act as if they have no choice. This event has literally been happening for decades.

For example - the sprung tents should have a pair of permanent queues. There's no excuse for not doing so since they use them every year.

Think of it this way - huge chunks of space in the park are dedicated to extended queues for attractions that get used for fewer days each year than HHN runs. Those spaces are dedicated and not repurposed.

That's silly. It's silly to not have real queues (no more fancy than the average extended queue - roof, poles embedded in the ground, maybe a few props).

Last edited by a moderator:
You act as if they have no choice. This event has literally been happening for decades.

For example - the sprung tents should have a pair of permanent queues. There's no excuse for not doing so since they use them every year.

Think of it this way - huge chunks of space in the park are dedicated to extended queues for attractions that get used for fewer days each year than HHN runs. Those spaces are dedicated and not repurposed.

That's silly. It's silly to not have real queues (no more fancy than the average extended queue - roof, poles embedded in the ground, maybe a few props).

For them to do that with the sprung tents, they'd have to relocate roads or the tents, or build bridges over the roads to get to the tents. It's simply not cost effective or smart and very likely unfeasible.

It doesn't make sense logistically to add permanent lines for the event. It'd be a waste of money that would only be used for only a small window of the year, regardless of how popular the event is.

If you want a permanent line for a house; mind looking to see if TWDA ever comes to Orlando as that's the best you will ever get.

Reactions: DannyPowers

I really hate to jump in on this argument but, why would they want to lock themselves into a single use for that space all year long?

To point to your example...one of the Sprung tent lines is in a roadway (used for Tomb last year). You're saying they should build a permanent queue in that road, and therefore not be able to drive anything down there any more, just so people could stand in a "nicer line" in September and October?

Doesn't make much sense to me brah.

Reactions: SeventyOne
It doesn't make sense logistically to add permanent lines for the event. It'd be a waste of money that would only be used for only a small window of the year, regardless of how popular the event is.

If you want a permanent line for a house; mind looking to see if TWDA ever comes to Orlando as that's the best you will ever get.

I think you and I were typing at the same time.

Amen.

No event planner, especially those in charge of the budget, will approve of such a thing. Universal HAS to use rope queues because they have to tear it down for normal operation the next day.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Aside from wether or not it would make sense to build permanent queues I don't even think they would have the space for it in the park. Look at last years event, AHS essentially took up one whole sound stage and then some. Multiply that by 9 or maybe 10 for some future growth and you're looking at a very significant expansion to the park. The only way I could see to feasibly do this would be to completely convert the sound stage complex over for HHN only replacing some of the sound stages with queues and then use the big expansion pad by MIB for the remaining houses and queues. This would be a massive undertaking and would also lock away large portions of land that could otherwise be used for year round attractions or other events. This would also create some traffic problems as they wouldn't be able to disperse the crowds around the park as well. You would essentially have two HHN lands on either side of the park where all the crowds would congregate.

Along that line of thought.

Nintendo is replacing KidZone. No way in hell Nintendo lets them run their queues through their attractions.

So something has to give.

Temporary walkways to the queues I understand - it's like the Grinchmas crossover. By why aren't the actual queues for the spring tents - meaning the bulk of the wait and switchbacks - in that massive undeveloped space?

Tear down the dumb coke thing, reconfigure that corner to have two permanent queue entrances for the event, use the empty pad for all the switchbacks, clean everything else up, and you've just made HHN a lot more professional looking.

Tear down the dumb coke thing, reconfigure that corner to have two permanent queue entrances for the event, use the empty pad for all the switchbacks, clean everything else up, and you've just made HHN a lot more professional looking.

Tear down something that potentially makes them money year-round, and replace it with entrances for lines that will go unused for 10 months out of the year...

Are you just trolling us right now?

Used yearly for their biggest event that makes far more money than that dumb coke thing.

I guaran-damn-tee that the "Coke thing" makes significantly more money than empty lines would. Especially since they already have options that allow them to keep the "Coke thing" up.

I'm sure your counter will be that "it would allow them to have a more professional appearance to a major event". To which I would say, it obviously doesn't matter based on the steadily increasing crowds every year.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
Well hooray for guests giving them carte blanche to not spend money or enhance their experience.

Remind me again how you're not a guest but rather somehow tied to the financial performance of Universal and the bottom line somehow impacts your life...?

"No one visits theme parks for the experiences. They go for the warm and fuzzy feeling that the bottom line is secure, that our spending is justified by focus groups and year over year dividends for our investors, and that our CEO will get an even bigger bonus." -Walt Disney

Well hooray for guests giving them carte blanche to not spend money or enhance their experience.

Remind me again how you're not a guest but rather somehow tied to the financial performance of Universal and the bottom line somehow impacts your life...?
This is just absolutely silly at this point. As a guest I will happily take a year round Coke thing and the very nice temporary entrances they make for the houses. I really see zero benefit as a guest to having a structure as opposed to a opening in a gate for house entrances. I'm pretty happy with how Universal is doing things.

The hell?

None of you like that dumb coke thing and openly mocked it for months. From the never ending construction to the absolutely lame final product.