Halloween Horror Nights 27 General Discussion | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 27 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
For all the insults hurled at Pixie Dusters, you'd think the fandom here would have enough self awareness to realize when they're irrationally twisting and contorting to make excuses for bad show and cheapness.

There are levels and shades in-between a permanent facility and a "crap we hurried to throw together."

And yes, despite the protests otherwise, whole walls are reused. It's like saying the refurbishment walls arent reused when they're in good condition at the end of the project. They most certainly are.

You make some good points about the addition of some more permanent infrastructure, a building to house a 3 hour queue for a high throughput attraction of course isn't going to happen nor should it. I think there certainly are some smaller things that could be done to make the event feel a little more permanent.
And yes, despite the protests otherwise, whole walls are reused. It's like saying the refurbishment walls arent reused when they're in good condition at the end of the project. They most certainly are.
This sentence here invalidates everything you're saying though. You simply don't understand the way the houses are built. We've had this discussion before. I feel like a basic understanding of this should be a prerequisite to this conversation at this point. Are some elements reused, sure. The point is these are basically new construction from the ground up every year. They spend millions of dollars on this event every year. Of course there's always ways to spend a little more money and I don't think anyone here wouldn't want to see them put more into it. I think it's a little greedy of us to expect too much though considering what we get every year. I would certainly rather see the money go into the houses than the queue so I'm pretty happy in that regard.

Here's a nice photo of those walls getting neatly packed away into storage.:)
QeNNkdN.jpg

The walls do look like mostly if not entirely new construction - i never claimed they never made new stuff. I said there's some ghetto pieces that get reused way too often.

Floor is reused - which you didn't notice. And that's not the "actual ground." It's reused and has sections where it's obviously been replaced.

Basic schmatic of fake-walls:

http://www.dolphin.upenn.edu/pacshop/Images/flat-rear.png

Any of those bits can be reused. Any notice how in your photos it's all bare plywood. They get covered with finishes. We know more a fact that most of what we see in HHN on those is black - basic flat black. Even if you paint it black, plywood will look like crap. So those aren't skinned (save for those railings on the slope and the pillar looking thingy). Take the skin off and it looks like brand new wood unless it's particularly ghetto.

Which i didn't bother to take photos of and Aiello knows better than to do so himself either, but they exist and are reused year to year.

The walls do look like mostly if not entirely new construction - i never claimed they never made new stuff. I said there's some ghetto pieces that get reused way too often.

Floor is reused - which you didn't notice. And that's not the "actual ground." It's reused and has sections where it's obviously been replaced.

Basic schmatic of fake-walls:

http://www.dolphin.upenn.edu/pacshop/Images/flat-rear.png

Any of those bits can be reused. Any notice how in your photos it's all bare plywood. They get covered with finishes. We know more a fact that most of what we see in HHN on those is black - basic flat black. Even if you paint it black, plywood will look like crap. So those aren't skinned (save for those railings on the slope and the pillar looking thingy). Take the skin off and it looks like brand new wood unless it's particularly ghetto.

Which i didn't bother to take photos of and Aiello knows better than to do so himself either, but they exist and are reused year to year.
I pay very close attention to these houses and go through them many times throughout the event. The vast majority of walls are NOT flat black. If they even did reuse a flat black wall who cares it's not like it would even be noticeable. Certainly things are reused here and there. The idea of reusing wall treatments is absolutely ludicrous, it would mean the walls would have to always be built exactly the same, windows doors etc all in the same place every time. I think you're really grasping at straws here but if you want to think HHN is "ghetto", I'm not going to try to stop you anymore.:lol:

So getting back on topic, I'm really hoping for a ghetto Scream Queens house next year!

This is a ridiculous argument. I spent decent money to see these houses behind the scenes, and made multiple runs through them. Every wall was plastered and sculpted or pressed or wall papered (where theme called for it). The sets are meticulously detailed and dressed. And the construction quality is substantial to say the least. The last section of Krampus was plaster rock work made from mesh caging going up 10 feet or so. The most barebones I saw anything was maybe drywall in Halloween as the hospital walls.

It's ludicrous to call this an amateur operation. Point out to me any themepark haunt event with better set design and decoration/ execution. The only haunts that i've seen with more substantial productions are standalone attractions that don't completely tear down and rebuild their attractions every year. Sure i'd believe CAD and blueprints are saved to use for future events but not the actual plywood. That would be like saying they scrape all the paint off the walls in to a bucket so they can glue it back on next year.

You can say that their ability to effectively scare people is limited due to the conga line and predictable actor placement.
Or that thematically the event has staled with the heavy inclusion of IPs.
Scarezones have become smaller and less interesting.

But I think calling the quality of the event ghetto and crap they threw together has to come from some sort of bias.

If HHN was an amateur event, I don't think people will travel from all over the world to attend. I find it silly when somebody complains about plywood being reused. HHN has always been a great, and great value event. Food and Wine is $100 for entry plus $5+ For every item, that's shockingly not worth the value, while HHN has no extra charges, aside from VR.

Reactions: Joel and Mad Dog
Ironically I've found many of the food items to be better quality than what you get at F&W. Several of the booths have grills built into them and the food is made fresh right there as opposed to food that's been sitting for hours in a warming cabinet at F&W.

Reactions: WAJAS
In the terms of reusing walls, USH for example does reuse quite a bit of walls from previous houses and whatnot have you for their HHN and I'm willing to bet that some of the costumes and props are reused from time to time. It's how they change the walls, costumes, and props is the more..key word to there.

Now, that's not to say they don't make new environments, because they have quite often created new sources of material to use for the Event. It just matters on where you look to see some finer details from previous houses of the past.

As for Orlando, I would believe that it would be a similar thing as to Hollywood but on a different plane of how they're reused.

I know I am a little late this year, but I am back!

HHN27 wishlist
1. Killer Clowns From Outer Space
2. IT
3. Channel Zero- Candle Cove
4. Conjuring
5. CHUCKY!(original) PLEASE!!!!!
6. New Icon
7. NO 3D houses
8. NO American Horror Story (I know it is coming)
9. Five Nights at Freddy's
10. I know this one will probably never happen, but I have been wishing for it for years now!
Call of Duty- Zombies.

Keep in mind this is a wishlist and not predictions. Let me know what you think about #10.

I feel like HHN is zombied out also, but COD Zombies would be something crazy! I don't think Trick or Treat will be in the lineup this year, but AHS is definitely a contender.