Halloween Horror Nights 27 General Discussion | Page 157 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 27 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I love to hear how frustrated some of you are by their sneak peek video. I find the video of the working elevations and color proofs to be quite compelling. Leaves you wanting more, hm?
Teases like this would have been fun a month or so ago. Ultimately, it doesn't really matter, I guess. I see both sides, but when you have "experts" employed full-time at a social media center to engage with fans, and you have tons of content created just to make these mazes, it's silly not to use it smartly, imo.

I think I just realized why they haven't emphasized HHN 27. It looks like they could easily sell this merchandise on both coasts.
I got that feeling as well. We're also sharing a commercial now.

To occam's razor this some: that was the first maze done when they were ready to take photos of merch prototypes.
More to the point, they've explicitly said multiple times that "Festival of the Deadliest" is the overarching theme this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well doesn't look like we're getting the originals today. I don't understand why they would wait until Monday to do a full reveal. Why not do originals today and Blum on Monday?

where have they said festival is the theme?
Here:
https://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/new-hhn-2017-merchandise/ said:
The concept was really driven by this year’s theme, Festival of the Deadliest. This is a theme we’ve been chatting about for a long time and was initially inspired by some artwork we did for a “Titans of Terror” campaign for Universal Studios Hollywood.

Reactions: StillmansGym

Not to mention - the description for the scarezone:

This Halloween Horror Nights, we're inviting you to join the celebration of blood and bone at what can only be called The Festival of the Deadliest – an ancient tradition from the depths of where nightmares are born.

You'll find the heart of the Festival on the streets of Hollywood in Universal Studios Florida, but its claws have spread throughout Horror Nights. Here's what awaits you every night...

Theory on the delay: right now, they're still pushing Volcano Bay hard. Giving tickets away on the Clear Channel stations every couple hours. Trying to push VB hard to salvage the last week of August and, especially, Labor Day weekend (where they suddenly have competition with Food & Wine starting early). Don't want HHN chatter getting in the way of that.

Also, seems silly to release during the day today when the blog-o-sphere--the only people paying attention this early--will all be at Not-So-Scary tonight enjoying free cupcakes. Wait until Monday when everyone is bored at work.

This was brought up in the Hollywood thread, so I'll do one for Orlando. Here's what I think the crowds will be for each house from highest to lowest:

1:30 on non-peak nights, 2-2:30 on moderate nights, 2:45+ on peak nights:
1. AHS: Last year's house experienced some of the highest waits in the event's history, so I'd expect similar results here.
2. The Shining: Being right next to AHS will help its popularity, but it's also a well-known classic.
3. Blumhouse: Lunatics Playground had long waits last year largely because of its location next to Bill and Ted. However, that house was poorly received. Blumhouse is more more appealing to general guests and should receive even higher waits.

1:30 on non-peak nights, 2 on moderate nights, 2:30 on peak nights:

4. Saw: The interest is there, and the house is located towards the front of the park. Maybe it won't quite reach the waits of the other three, but it should be consistently popular.
5. Hive: Being near Bill and Ted will help, and it should be a pretty damn good house too.

1:00 on non-peak nights, 1:30 on moderate nights, 2 on peak nights:

6. Dead Waters: It's a soundstage original, so waits won't get too extreme until later in the event.
7. The Fallen: See above.

40 on non-peak nights, 1:00 on moderate nights, 1:30 on peak nights:

8. Ash vs Evil Dead: I don't think the general public is going to care about this too much. Maybe it'll get into the next tier if it's a word of mouth hit.
9. Scarecrows: The Reaping: Because Parade isn't being anchored by a notable IP, this will suffer for the first few weeks. Like Ash, maybe it gets into the next tier with good word of mouth.

TBF, you do sorta have to account a bit of LP3D (at least early on) to it being the Icon house. I think Blumhouse will get less because I do honestly think people will be confused at the concept. :lol:

^It will probably be close, but I think AHS slightly nudges it out because fewer people today know about The Shining (not that it isn't extremely well known, it's just not as well known by "kids these days" as AHS).

^^ I would flip Saw and Blumhouse. I would also put AvED somewhat higher; since both of SS24's houses are originals I wonder if that will keep crowds someone muted in that area (last two years, an original has neighbored a noteworthy IP).

Last edited:
SO if we believe the guy who's presently leaking stuff from HW's scare orientation on Nightmare, the exact name for Blumhouse will be "The Horrors Of Blumhouse". And I think we come off better than theirs, because apparently they basically have the same Maze except swapping Insidious for Happy Death Day.

Reactions: SeventyOne