Halloween Horror Nights 28 General Discussion | Page 352 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 28 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Contrary to many other experiences (apparently) opening night went smoothly from my groups perspective.
With the exception of stranger things (which we ended up leaving the queue of) all wait times were posted accurately, or, even longer than they actually were.

Vamp 85 was great, as were the scareactors there, but KKFOS was pretty low energy... many of the klowns were simply pacing the length of the zone.

Without S&S, we were able to do 6 houses (DE, SoX, Blum, CG, TrT, SS,), eat, and ride 3 rides. Not to mention I had the pleasure of meeting Blake Braswell, Patrick Braillard, and Charles Gray.

One major complaint I do have is on the energy levels of maze scareactors. With the exception of DE, which was VERY in your face, all of the other houses suffered from lackluster scares.. most noticeably SoX. However, it was opening only opening night, leaving me hopeful that, as per usual, the scares will improve over the course of the event.

I think part of the problem is that they didn't cast die hards who love the event, but many newbies because they needed them for height purposes.
I don't think that's it. If a scareactor has to be awake at 8 for their day job, its unlikely to matter how big a fan they are when it comes to extending.

My two years scaring, I was B cast in popular houses. Scaring was also my only job. I extended every time I was asked. It was hard decision every time too. I don't blame the cast at all.

Uni makes terrible management/operational decisions all the time. IMO, closing despite the line isn't one of them.

I don't think that's it. If a scareactor has to be awake at 8 for their day job, its unlikely to matter how big a fan they are when it comes to extending.

My two years scaring, I was B cast in popular houses. Scaring was also my only job. I extended every time I was asked. It was hard decision every time too. I don't blame the cast at all.

Uni makes terrible management/operational decisions all the time. IMO, closing despite the line isn't one of them.
Look at my next post immediately after this one. I fully understand the life of a scareactor and being on set for 2.5 hours straight is borderline dangerous.

I actually quoted you on the post.... here it is:
Yeah, you simply can't ask the same actors to be out there for such a long period of time. In that time they would usually get TWO(!) full 45 minute breaks to drink water, have some protein and gear up for the next set.

Reactions: Victoria
I hope not, glad I am here for 10 nights, i would hate to be a one nighter without express

Yeah, yeah sooner or later everyone is goign to have to get Express, even last year my cousin came without express and only saw a handful of houses ,maybe 4.
this year i dont even think she will wanna come. to pay one day ticket and only see 3 houses... thats just not good at all.

I do feel bad for people that come out of town or are not locals and get a regular pass. specially if they are traveling for stranger things, that might be the only house they do for the night.

I predict most locals will just end up getting frequent fear more than ever before.

So I guess it’s %99 confirmed that Stranger Things is likely returning next year with ST2?

Vamp 85 is a blast, I could live in that zone the whole year. Maybe eventually down the line we can give Vamp a house?

So I guess it’s %99 confirmed that Stranger Things is likely returning next year with ST2?

Vamp 85 is a blast, I could live in that zone the whole year. Maybe eventually down the line we can give Vamp a house?

Vamp works better as a zone.

Best way for Uni to tackle the operation issues is to make every single Friday/Saturday event night close at 2am. I've visited opening night the past few years now and lately, they have been getting more crowded than the last. If Uni was smart they would allow S&S 30-45 mins prior into Stranger Things and Poltergeist so that you don't have the line spewing out into the zones and you can start getting people through the maze.

The carnival house had a prop that broke or something like that and the line is stuck for a long time....

Security said a prop (or part of the house) fell and they had to clean up...

Last edited:
I remember last year’s opening night had a less-than expected crowd which is probably the reason that they made their projections the way they did this year.

Well, this year they didn't have a major hurricane hit right before opening. Also this year the marketing was really good. Two things that could not be said last year.

Well, this year they didn't have a major hurricane hit right before opening. Also this year the marketing was really good. Two things that could not be said last year.

Right, but that’s how operations creates staffing plans. Doesn’t matter what common sense tells you, they go by their algorithm which ties into their labor budgets. That’s how you get situations to arise like what happened last night lol.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
That's how they schedule, and how they always have scheduled. And the longest extension I've ever seen was about thirty minutes. And casting typically drops to 60% after close.

A two hour wait at close is unheard of. And, the bigger issue is A Cast would have already signed out for the evening. That would put the extending B Cast on set for 2.5 hours non-stop. That's unhealthy. If I was a manager I wouldn't ask my cast to do that. If I was a cast member and asked to do that, I'd laugh and go home.

EDIT - Remember, most scareactors have day jobs. A lot of those work on weekends. There's a massive difference between getting off work at 1 or at 3 when you have to wake up in the morning.
In year one, at closing, the house had a 3 hour wait. and everyone got in. Ive also been to HHNs when the houses have had 1 ro 1 1/2 hour waits on weekends t closing. and everyone got in. So, yeah, no excuse. I know in the past they scheduled people up to an hour after closing.
Heck in peak in regular operators we were scheduled an hour after closing.