Halloween Horror Nights 28 General Discussion | Page 389 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 28 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
They need more shows. They're a nice break from the clusters of guests in the park.

You really can't discount the value of sitting down for an hour to theme park guests. The vast majority of Americans are not up for 8 straight hours of power walking. Hardly just an HHN thing, last night at EPCOT I noticed people sitting on every curb, step, bench in front of a closed show, etc.

That, or cutting the zone number to four. Traditions, Chucky and Klowns are all good to very good zones. I am not a fan of Vamp '85 or Harvest.

And oh god, please not a substantial price increase.

I'm all for cutting a SZ to fund a new show. Traditional SZs are fundamentally broken with the crowds the event attracts on the regular these days--the whole concept probably needs to be re-thought.

That said, there have only been insubstantial price increases for over a decade now. I'm certain less than the rate of inflation, while the resort in general and the event in particular has exploded in popularity with both locals and out-of-town guests. It's crazy to me that a FFP a decade ago good for 7 houses back when UOR was on the verge of being shuttered cost maybe $10 less than one for 10 houses at an event that routinely sells out this year. AP prices have gone up, parking fees have gone up, merch prices have gone up, food & beverage prices have skyrocketed--why should HHN tickets be the exception?

It doesn’t matter anymore.

It never really mattered, bulk of the fan base for a while has been service industry people, who don't get traditional weekends, and UCF students. Throw in the lifestylers, any given night is packed.

You really can't discount the value of sitting down for an hour to theme park guests. The vast majority of Americans are not up for 8 straight hours of power walking. Hardly just an HHN thing, last night at EPCOT I noticed people sitting on every curb, step, bench in front of a closed show, etc.

I'm all for cutting a SZ to fund a new show. Traditional SZs are fundamentally broken with the crowds the event attracts on the regular these days--the whole concept probably needs to be re-thought.

That said, there have only been insubstantial price increases for over a decade now. I'm certain less than the rate of inflation, while the resort in general and the event in particular has exploded in popularity with both locals and out-of-town guests. It's crazy to me that a FFP a decade ago good for 7 houses back when UOR was on the verge of being shuttered cost maybe $10 less than one for 10 houses at an event that routinely sells out this year. AP prices have gone up, parking fees have gone up, merch prices have gone up, food & beverage prices have skyrocketed--why should HHN tickets be the exception?

It never really mattered, bulk of the fan base for a while has been service industry people, who don't get traditional weekends, and UCF students. Throw in the lifestylers, any given night is packed.

Curious, about how close really was UOR to being "shuttered?"

Everyone is talking about cutting content for the most part, but if anything it looks like the event could use a budget bump and an expansion.

2 parks, 10 mazes, 3 shows (2 large, 1 small) Minimum 6 scarezones seems reasonable.

Curious, about how close really was UOR to being "shuttered?"

Two unrelated people close to the industry have told me had Potter underperformed, GE was planning to close the parks. For years all development money had gone exclusively to Hogsmeade, perhaps with some not completely authorized cost overruns, and AP sales had fallen by half or maybe worse. A failure to bounce back would've been seen as the writing on the wall. Of course, Potter overperformed beyond anyone's expectations (I've been told, seriously, Butterbeer sales alone covered the cost overruns), and the rest is history.

The chucky zone and the vamp stage show are good to entertain people.
Sounds to me like they should have to redesign scarezones to include a mini show on every zone.
The church by the traditions zone could have easily had a mini show with a tiny stage for example.

Also, they HAVE to open despicable me and open simpsons and open fallon.
Find out a way to work out the carnival queue and open fallon.

Two unrelated people close to the industry have told me had Potter underperformed, GE was planning to close the parks. For years all development money had gone exclusively to Hogsmeade, perhaps with some not completely authorized cost overruns, and AP sales had fallen by half or maybe worse. A failure to bounce back would've been seen as the writing on the wall. Of course, Potter overperformed beyond anyone's expectations (I've been told, seriously, Butterbeer sales alone covered the cost overruns), and the rest is history.

Close for good? Like, forever?

Reactions: SeventyOne

In hindsight a good investment, but considering the U6 was around 17% at the time Potter opened, it's not an investment I would've chosen to make at the time--which is why I was (pleasantly) shocked when I saw pics of those opening day crowds.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeventyOne
I don't see how 2 parks helps the equation at all

By spreading guest across two parks, increasing travel time between attractions, adding more attractions to potential line up, and increasing venues and space for attractions.

Other than that, the only other things I can see fixing capacity problems is extending the event into city walk or expanding the event backstage.

Reactions: Kichkinet85
Unless they extend, then Nov. 5?

I think @Nick is suggesting the extended date is 10/30 not 11/4.

By spreading guest across two parks, increasing travel time between attractions, adding more attractions to potential line up, and increasing venues and space for attractions.

Other than that, the only other things I can see fixing capacity problems is extending the event into city walk or expanding the event backstage.

Now two parks are closing at 5pm, this to me seems unacceptable.