Halloween Horror Nights 28 General Discussion | Page 87 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 28 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I thought everyone said that this year the focus was locking down the IPS early so they couldn't/wouldn't have another Conjuring situation on their hands. I guess even the best laid plans can wind up sprawled on the murder scene floor.
From the outside, it looks like they were 4-6 weeks ahead of their traditional schedule. Approvals that normally occur in Jan/Feb occured in Dec (I believe), and designers were contracted in November. Stuff has been locked, more than in the past. Things can always change though.

From the outside, it looks like they were 4-6 weeks ahead of their traditional schedule. Approvals that normally occur in Jan/Feb occured in Dec (I believe), and designers were contracted in November. Stuff has been locked, more than in the past. Things can always change though.

Over in HW Murdy responded to a question about scrapped mazes by saying there haven’t been any big shifts for this year - potentially the IT and TrT news might be misinformation

Over in HW Murdy responded to a question about scrapped mazes by saying there haven’t been any big shifts for this year - potentially the IT and TrT news might be misinformation
What counts as a "big" shift? Would losing an IP a few weeks into design and research, before hard approvals and construction contracts are completed be a big shift? Or is a big shift after materials are on-site, management has approved the entire design book, and marketing have started preparing the associated announcement materials? Context is important, ESPECIALLY with John Murdy. He's not called a carny for no reason. Everything he says needs to weighed with narrow eyes.

Here’s the post right there below. Over in HW we’re speculating it could mean UCM being edited, Stranger Things going from S1&2 to only S1, or maybe our Asylum maze changing

Edit: Jesus I butchered this post, anyone know how to edit it to fix the image?

Attachments

• FA8B64E4-2603-4638-B9FC-C58404863132.png
    FA8B64E4-2603-4638-B9FC-C58404863132.png
    393.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 14805A00-42B4-44F0-926E-705DEDCC0A8F.png
    14805A00-42B4-44F0-926E-705DEDCC0A8F.png
    393.8 KB · Views: 37
  • A1DD1D05-EAD8-43A5-9AED-85141574BD67.png
    A1DD1D05-EAD8-43A5-9AED-85141574BD67.png
    393.8 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: happy bunny rabbit
What counts as a "big" shift? Would losing an IP a few weeks into design and research, before hard approvals and construction contracts are completed be a big shift? Or is a big shift after materials are on-site, management has approved the entire design book, and marketing have started preparing the associated announcement materials? Context is important, ESPECIALLY with John Murdy. He's not called a carny for no reason. Everything he says needs to weighed with narrow eyes.

Just going by the tweet he sent, it seems he's talking about an original property getting scrapped ("I had an original"). Now, this doesn't discount the idea that Murdy is just screwing with us, but he's also tweeted before that the maze lineup was "locked down" pretty early in the year, and unless he's doing some linguistic gymnastics, there's really no way of weasling out of that.

And I'm just going to say that the Lost Boys rumors, at least from my Hollywood viewpoint, are a little ridiculous. I mean, I like the Lost Boys, but WB owns the property, so we have to assume here that Warner tried to stop Uni from using IT, one of their flagship horror franchises, in favor of a cult-movie from the 80's. It just doesn't make business sense.

What I'm guessing is that IT was re-tooled; it might've been based entirely off of the first movie, and WB might've mandated a preview scene from part 2. Or ST might have a preview scene now. Usually, Murdy is pretty good with outright saying if a property isn't coming or not (he pretty much admitted that "The Conjuring" was scrapped half-way through last year).

Just going by the tweet he sent, it seems he's talking about an original property getting scrapped ("I had an original"). Now, this doesn't discount the idea that Murdy is just screwing with us, but he's also tweeted before that the maze lineup was "locked down" pretty early in the year, and unless he's doing some linguistic gymnastics, there's really no way of weasling out of that.
Let's play some linguistic gymnastics...
I heard they lost IT months ago.
There're two ways to interpret this. One way is that JungleSkip was told "They lost IT months ago." The other, more compelling, way is that, months ago, he was told they lost IT.

It's fairly easy to dismiss the first reading. A rumor can say something was lost whenever. The SECOND is harder to ignore. If JungleSkip was told IT was out long before we realized IT may be out, then it adds more credibility to his claim. Here's why...

Universal operates on a wish-list; these are the houses they want. The first time I saw the "leaked houses" line-up, THAT was the context it was presented to me as. It was Hollywood's wish-list. They were locking some of them, but maybe not all. The wish-list will include SOME design work as part of securing the rights. That design work is Universal's proof they will represent an IP well. So, lets look at MY timeline.

August - I see a wish-list for Hollywood. Yeah. That's when I started hearing about this year. Stranger Things and IT were BOTH on this list. I was told, "These are the IPs they're trying to lock down."

October - I see bits of design/planning work for SOME of the houses on the wish-list. It's not all. I see Stranger Things. I do NOT see IT.

November - I hear (from someone I trust) about the IT research book. From its description, it sounds like they just took every possible picture of what WB did with the Neibolt house attraction. It's a research book though. Not a design product.

Months past. I get details on some houses that confirm them to me. I don't hear squat about IT. Murdy plays his normal, vague, carny games. He talks about locking stuff down. Does his happy horror dance. In reality, all we can do is ASSUME we know what he's talking about. Full disclosure, I don't rely heavily on Murdy (or the Ifrit or many blogs). I take all of what they're saying and try figure what's truth and what's noise.

March - I start getting maddeningly conflicting information on IT.​

Now, let's look at Murdy's tweet from yesterday:

"There's been some changes during design." Design is a LONG process that started in (at least) August with the wish-list. This DOESN'T imply the types of changes (different scenes or different properties).
"Nothing that was fully designed." This is crucial. This means that any changes that occurred were EARLY enough that he didn't finish the design. Orlando starts FINISHING design work in February/March and I imagine Hollywood is similar. This matters because of what JungleSkip said: "I heard they lost IT months ago."
"I had an original I was working on that will hopefully get done in the future." This is pretty big and gives the first line some critical perspective. It means that the "changes during design" he refers to can include scrapping an entire house. It's also important to note what he DOESN'T say. He doesn't reference a property. But just because it's not mentioned doesn't mean it's not included.

Speculation is a GAME. I play it. Murdy plays. JungleSkip was playing it. Brian plays it. Cynicism is required. Words matter. And linguistic gymnastics can help you figure out the answer.

Last edited:
Let's play some linguistic gymnastics...

There's two ways to interpret this. One way is that JungleSkip was told "They lost IT months ago." The other, more compelling, way is that, months ago, he was told they lost IT.

It's fairly easy to dismiss the first reading. A rumor can say something was lost whenever. The SECOND is harder to ignore. If JungleSkip was told IT was out long before we realized IT may be out, then it adds more credibility to his claim. Here's why...

Universal operates on a wish-list; these are the houses we want. The first time I saw the "leaked houses" line-up, THAT was the context it was presented to me as. It was Hollywood's wish-list. They were locking some of them, but maybe not all. The wish-list will include SOME design work as part of securing the rights. That design work is Universal's proof they will represent an IP well. Now, lets look at MY timeline.

August - I see a wish-list for Hollywood. Yeah. That's when I started hearing about this year. Stranger Things and IT were BOTH on this list. I was told, "These are the IPs they're trying to lock down."

October - I see bits of design/planning work for SOME of the houses on the wish-list. It's not all. I see Stranger Things. I do NOT see IT.

November - I hear (from someone I trust) about the IT research book. From its description, it sounds like they just took every possible picture of what WB did with the Neibolt house attraction. It's a research book though. Not a design product.

Months past. I get details on some houses that confirm them to me. I don't hear squat about IT. Murdy plays his normal, vague, carny games. He talks about locking stuff down. Does his happy horror dance. In reality, all we can do is ASSUME we know what he's talking about. Full disclosure, I don't rely heavily on Murdy (or the Ifrit or many blogs). I take all of what they're saying and try figure what's truth and what's noise.

March - I start getting maddeningly conflicting information on IT.​

So, let's look Murdy's tweet from yesterday:

"There's been some changes during design." Design is a LONG process that started in (at least) August with the wish-list. This DOESN'T imply the types of changes (different scenes or different properties).
"Nothing that was fully designed." This is crucial. This means that any changes that occurred were EARLY enough that he didn't finish the design. Orlando starts FINISHING design work in February/March and I imagine Hollywood is similar. This matters because of what JungleSkip said: "I heard they lost IT months ago."
"I had an original I was working on that will hopefully get done in the future." This is pretty big and gives the first line some critical perspective. It means that the "changes during design" he refers to can include scrapping an entire house. It's also important to note what he DOESN'T say. He doesn't reference a property. But just because it's not mentioned doesn't mean it's not included.

Speculation is a GAME. I play it. Murdy plays. JungleSkip was playing it. Brian plays it. Cynicism is required. Words matter. And linguistic gymnastics can help you figure out the answer.

Wow, thank you for the breakdown of what you saw!

The speculation game it tons of fun if we remove what we want from the equation and focus on facts only. To me, that is the fun of the thing, trying to reason out what could have happened vs. what we want to happen.

For instance, I am hoping that this talk of The Lost Boys is only somewhat true. What I mean by that is I am hoping for a Vamp:55 sequel house, not The Lost Boys. That zone was popular so I could see it happening. Plus, since WB is the rights hold for The Lost Boys and I am currently wondering if they pulled Trick 'r Treat as well as IT, I could see the rumors being for an inspired by an IP house, not an actual IP house.

You also shed some light on the timeline of things that I was unaware of so that was cool new information.

Reactions: happy bunny rabbit
Slightly OT, but I've always wondered how the actors in SS 22 exit to their break room when the guest exit for the house in SS 21/19 goes behind SS 22.

I've seen misleading click bait articles titled "Universal is building a Strangers Things Park!!!!!1" or soon "You will soon be able to experience the Stranger Things Theme Park"

And this is my major concern about getting these "big get" mainstream properties. You're going to start bringing in people (and their kids) that don't fully understand what they're going to.

Which, could potentially lead to bad word of mouth, or (worst of all) viral complaints that force Universal's hand to make it more palatable to the general public.

Not saying it will happen, but you do invite in certain elements when you start selling the event to a different audience.

And this is my major concern about getting these "big get" mainstream properties. You're going to start bringing in people (and their kids) that don't fully understand what they're going to.

Which, could potentially lead to bad word of mouth, or (worst of all) viral complaints that force Universal's hand to make it more palatable to the general public.

Not saying it will happen, but you do invite in certain elements when you start selling the event to a different audience.
Knowing universal they handle it like pros. If Bill and Ted were still around they would recommend unsatisfied guests head over to the other park or something.