Halloween Horror Nights 30 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors (2021) | Page 253 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 30 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors (2021)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it’s down to 3 IPs Silence of the Lambs, Fear Street and Spiral. I honestly think that Spiral and Silence of the Lamb are more likely due to how recent Fear Street is. And between Spiral and Silence of the Lamb I would honestly just think they want to do Silence of the Lamb. They might even have a treatment for that laying around that they can use for the maze to make it a lot quicker. Otherwise Spiral is a decent IP but I don’t know how successful it really was

I honestly don’t think Spiral or Fear Street are valid guesses. Someone threw out a list that @Ringwraith confirmed contained the property, but @Legacy previously stated (I think contrary to what was mistakenly said somewhere else) that we already KNEW the property and that it had already been one of the properties discussed. I think SoTL is the best guess, but still think HIII is in the running as well. Spiral and Fear Street were pretty blind shots in the dark.

I honestly don’t think Spiral or Fear Street are valid guesses. Someone threw out a list that @Ringwraith confirmed contained the property, but @Legacy previously stated (I think contrary to what was mistakenly said somewhere else) that we already KNEW the property and that it had already been one of the properties discussed. I think SoTL is the best guess, but still think HIII is in the running as well. Spiral and Fear Street were pretty blind shots in the dark.
Yeahhh only real reason I put those two in was because Saw had been at HHN before, and we know Universal and Netflix are good buds.

If the house ends up being spiral or Halloween 3 I’m getting a tattoo of Shrek

tKuKJOS.png

No and I did not intend to make it seem so. Just pointed out that is where my guess came from. Currently digging again..following rabbit holes. I thought I might be onto something else but I was wrong. Thought it may be related to a year, but Halloween 3 was 82, not 83. You have stumped me, Legacy, you sly devil.

*slams shot glass on the table* ..one more try. A LEGACY Ip that has been the event and reimagined many times..Halloween 3. (you have an excellent imagination by the way. Art work is stunning and yeah, i'll be remembering the clarice for a long time.

Clues could also lead to Psycho. Would be pretty wicked to have a Psycho house go into that building. Talk about Legacy.

Last edited:
I'm not speculating on IF Fear Street is in Shrek or not, I'm just going to say this: IF the event had happened last year, we would not be having HoHH THIS year, meaning there would most likely have been a different Netflix IP at the event. Fear Street most likely would have fit that bill. I've watched the first two of the trilogy, and so far it doesn't look like it's going to be a multi-season show, It's being released at a time that would have made it a prime candidate for HHN. I'm not saying that it would have been the BIG BIG soundstage IP draw house, but I think as far as an IP, it kind of fits in a smaller venue like Shrek. My personal opinion I don't think it's a show that is going to have a long shelf life, but does seem popular at the current moment. Seems like a good fit for Shrek.
As far as SotL, would it be a house based on the books, or Movie. I know that a certain "current" television show had major issues with the rights for that IP because they could only use certain characters that were specifically INTRODUCED in ONE particular book, and if the character was introduced in a different book, they could not even mention them by their character name. Not sure how that sort of thing would affect rights for a House.

Reactions: jansenhammond
So The clue was Clarice holding a lambs head That confirms it the long awaited Lambchop house is coming I'm so there

"One girl... I drove through three states wearing her head as a hat." — Garland Greene

We're getting the long-awaited Con Air house featuring Casey Poe's vengeful bunny rabbit and a 90s guitar solo that permeates through the entire house.

Figured I'd try to work some of the clues/info for funsies, why not. Scattered thoughts:

Regarding Silence of the Lambs, the Clarice/Sheep clue is obviously very on the nose, but its also not the first time Legacy may be hinting at SotL in Shrek. In fact, he pretty explicitly references SotL going into Shrek as a possibility in a post way back in January around the time we heard Eilish house was canned. From what I've seen he rarely mentions explicit properties the way he did SotL unless its all but confirmed, and I think its a bit of an open secret the movie was planned for 29 but fell through due to rights issues. Either SotL going into Shrek was a called shot hilariously early, or he could have teased it this entire time without anyone noticing.

Good post. It’s important to remember that the Eilish situation is not the same as Scream/Purge or Conjuring/Hive. Those were conversions of houses that were mostly built. Eilish is more akin to the Chubacabra/Transformers situation where an under-construction house was canceled. That house hasn’t returned, though it’s rumored the costumes for the Beasts legion were from the canceled house. We don’t even know what, if anything, was reused from it in previous years. And that’s with an original that didn’t have any sort of IP holder.

Conceptually, I hope A&D revisits the idea of a “sleep demons” house. However it’s just as likely the next Shrek house is designed from scratch. Shoot, I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re able to swing Silence of the Lambs and stick that in Shrek.

That being said, rights issues aren't insignificant, and SotL's does have them. As outlined by Neo below, SotL rights are split between two different companies who don't seem keen on working together in the movie/tv space. And as we've seen with Halloween, it only takes one party to refuse to play ball for a house to be scrapped. Then again, Universal's had the better part of the year to work through the rights issues, in addition to whatever headway they made in developing relationships with IP stakeholders during the HHN29 negotiation cycle. It's totally within the realm of possibility they were secured.

I don't think the show is doing very well. It's gotten pretty bad reviews (31% on Rotten Tomatoes) and there was a lot of backlash after the first episode with people confused and upset that it has everybody in it, and doesn't so much as mention Lecter.

Despite taking place a year after the events of “Silence of the Lambs,” the CBS series will not mention Hannibal Lecter, the cannibalistic serial killer memorably played by Anthony Hopkins in the 1991 film.

The rights to Thomas Harris’ characters are split between MGM and the Dino De Laurentiis Company. “Clarice” showrunner Elizabeth Klaviter explained that CBS only has the rights for characters introduced in Harris’ 1988 novel “Silence of the Lambs.” Unfortunately, since Lecter’s first appearance came in another Harris novel, “Red Dragon,” that makes him off-limits.

Source: Why CBS' 'Clarice' Can't Mention Hannibal Lecter By Name

Then you have to wonder if Universal would be afraid to get the rights after the Scream debacle where they said universal had to do the TV version and not the movie...and I believe something similar happened with From Dusk Till Dawn, but it didn't result in the house being scrapped as they were so similar and it wasn't sprung on them at the last minute. I'd be afraid of an IP that has a "different" TV show active.

Speaking of Halloween though, there's been enough smoke (including the HHN2021 speculation map for Hollywood, hints around the HIII mask orders, etc.) that Universal may have popped the Mirimax bubble and managed to secure the HHN rights to Halloween Kills. Whether its due to attrition or Covid-19 desperation I don't know, but would love to hear about it if true. Additionally, while the first link on Legacy's haunt design page may point towards SotL, the final link to Calendar Fear includes a paragraph on a potential Halloween room. Three trick-or-treaters, three HIII masks, it could be a potential hint as well:

Calendar Fear said:
You push through the brush and come out on the porch of a suburban home decorated for Halloween. You turn the corner a child-like Treater appears from the bushes behind the railing. As they go back into hiding, another Tricker appears in the window behind you. You move past the front door, the homeowner is tied to. It swings open as you pass it to reveal the attacking Tricker inside. You lift passed the toilet paper hanging down from above the porch.

Honestly, its hedging, but I can see either Silence of the Lambs or Halloween Kills sliding into Shrek, with Halloween III as runner-up. Both are properties with significant recent smoke, but with complex rights issues which could scuttle either or. Personally, I lean towards Halloween Kills. It's rumored for Hollywood already, and I can't imagine that 1. We'll see two significantly different headliner IPs on each coast (Beetlejuice and Silence of the Lambs for Orlando, and Exorcist and Halloween Kills/III for Hollywood), considering that 2. Universal Parks marketing and merchandising have made an effort to standardize advertising and merchandising for both coasts, even including taglines. Beetlejuice/Exorcist can't be helped, but I think that just means they double down on standardizing the rest of potentially sharable IPs.

If HK rights are still a problem, I think the fallback is the HIII with Michael to keep him in advertising. Sure there's potential rights issues there as well, but it seemed like Hollywood already navigated those and was moving full steam ahead until HK potentially became available, shifting spec and construction. Then again, I also wouldn't be shocked if its SotL does pop up (maybe Hollywood becomes HIII without Michael, which isn't marketable as a headliner without creating unfair expectations/brand confusion, freeing up Orlando to their own thing with SotL), but that's overall my thinking for now.

TL;DR: Silence of the Lambs and Halloween Kills are my biggest guesses, with HIII as the runner-up. Both are properties with significant hints coupled with significant rights issues, so I struggle to lean one way or the other. Personally, I'd lean Halloween Kills/Halloween III featuring Michael as I imagine Marketing and Merchandising want to standardize IPs as much as possible, and Halloween in some form is the way the wind is blowing in California.

Last edited:
The funniest irony would be that both Season of the Witch and Silence of the Lambs would suffer the same problem...not enough of the face of the franchise.

Anthony Hopkins has very little screen time in the movie as he's predominantly in his cell the whole movie while all the action and scares revolve around Buffalo Bill. Granted, you do get his escape scene and stuff and Lambs has been seen by exponentially more people than Halloween III so it wouldn't be as big of a surprise/letdown.

Hopkins is so recognizable in the role that it would be hard to mimic him with scareactor with bald(ing) caps since he doesn't have another famously recognizable trait like Jack's eyebrows from The Shining or Ash's chin from Ash vs Evil Dead.

The funniest irony would be that both Season of the Witch and Silence of the Lambs would suffer the same problem...not enough of the face of the franchise.

Anthony Hopkins has very little screen time in the movie as he's predominantly in his cell the whole movie while all the action and scares revolve around Buffalo Bill. Granted, you do get his escape scene and stuff and Lambs has been seen by exponentially more people than Halloween III so it wouldn't be as big of a surprise/letdown.

Hopkins is so recognizable in the role that it would be hard to mimic him with scareactor with bald(ing) caps since he doesn't have another famously recognizable trait like Jack's eyebrows from The Shining or Ash's chin from Ash vs Evil Dead.

And I don't think the Widow's Peak/comb-backed hair with prison uniform is enough for the recognition factor.

One of the biggest concerns for me is not that Universal is incapable of pulling off SoTL, but that it's going to get absolutely bombed by the GP because of factors like this. I feel like what makes a "good" house to GP is that recognizability factor... (Not solely, obviously good design doesn't go unnoticed, but I feel like it is a big part when it comes to a flagship IP like that)

Though I'm still 100% in the boat that I'm almost certain it's Halloween, for better or for worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.