Halloween Horror Nights 31 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 239 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 31 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think lack of house interest has stopped very few people on HERE, but I could see a bigger than usual percentage of the GP who may not be willing to spend the money and travel to the event because of a lackluster lineup. It's been a rough two years for a lot of people and they're being more selective about where they put their money, methinks. Especially when everything we've seen so far can be interpreted as something you've already seen before (Blumhouse, Universal Monsters, Halloween).

Hey all - new to this forum (though lurked since 2019 when I was supposed to go Orlando/HHN in 2020 until COVID, and finally going this year).

I'm from the UK and only visit Orlando/HHN every 7 years or so, and I would say Eckert's post would be true for me - if I didn't have to book my holiday so far in advance. If I did have a choice of picking a year based on line-up, I would probably choose to skip this one. I'm not stubborn though to admit that the original houses have always been the best ones for me (in the 4 events I've been to) but it is the IP houses I look forward to the most. It's just more exciting to go through a house with the familiarity of walking through film scenes.

I've also got the added 'benefit' with me having gaps between my visits that any HHN is a great time for me as I wouldn't know the difference between a weaker or stronger year.

Although I'm aware the insiders are anticipating an original, I do hope for another IP to replace EDR, but if they do then I wouldn't have high hopes for it anyway with it being a short notice replacement.

From seeing the early spec maps with last of us and evil dead /stranger things to the potential what we have now- the weekend being a headliner. I must admit my anticipation has really dwindled.

I'm like Markus above I travel from the UK for these events, its a lot of money for us. If I hadn't booked hotel and flights, id probably skip it already. The halloween house will be fun but so far there really isn't much else that interests me.

I'm just really surprise that they didn't solidify another IP house from HBO, it just seems like bad risk management if they knew that there was a chance of cancellation of houses.

Saying that, I know when I will go I will have a really good time- the hype isn't being for me this time though.

From seeing the early spec maps with last of us and evil dead /stranger things to the potential what we have now- the weekend being a headliner. I must admit my anticipation has really dwindled.

I'm like Markus above I travel from the UK for these events, its a lot of money for us. If I hadn't booked hotel and flights, id probably skip it already. The halloween house will be fun but so far there really isn't much else that interests me.

I'm just really surprise that they didn't solidify another IP house from HBO, it just seems like bad risk management if they knew that there was a chance of cancellation of houses.

Saying that, I know when I will go I will have a really good time- the hype isn't being for me this time though.
(Evil Dead was the other IP from HBO.)

This is partially an expense thing, but also partially an IP thing, but as for me, I’m attending a wedding in Italy in a few days and have decided to purchase D23 tickets (keep in mind D23 locked my visit in a good deal of months ago). Now, that’s two big trips and that means I’ve got less flexibility. However, I was also planning on visiting Horror Nights Orlando this year, because it’s become something of a tradition with my stepmom and I love seeing all of the new stories each year. I am on these forums, which should indicate how much I love the inventiveness, the new sets, and the performances that make up these houses each year. It’s like seeing ten brand-new attractions every year, which is totally bonkers. The time-limited reason of the HHN houses is actually the reason I return to Orlando every year - if it were the same each year I would stay behind until something really exciting we’re happening (a limited-season entertainment offering of another sort, the finale year for a beloved attraction, a celebration at one of the parks that didn’t completely tank, etc.). Otherwise, my one visit is in October. Remember, all things considered, the rides don’t move. I have time to see them. I don’t have time to see things like HHN again.

If this year’s lineup were, say, Icons (which I had never truly seen in person due to my limited years at the event), Silence of the Lambs, Scream, or something like that, I would not mind the extra expense. I made the CONCERTED EFFORT to see the Icons last year despite multiple travel hurdles. I’m not really a musical person, and I’ve seen Halloween and Universal Monsters at the event before. I’ve also done Blumhouse in the past, and while I know this is going to be way different, I haven’t seen these movies yet. I have a feeling that it’s going to veer closer to the “Happy Death Day” side rather than the “Insidious” camp… which makes me less excited to go, considering that I went through both iterations of that house, and loved the first but didn’t love the second.

If I were to book a trip to Orlando, I would also probably visit EPCOT due to Guardians and Rat (I’ve done Velocicoaster), and I’d maybe even spend a night to see Enchantment at MK, though I’ve only heard awful things about it. So, let’s say that it’s a three-night trip. The planning it takes to make a Disney vacation fun these days is horrendous, and as such I would need to book that portion of the vacation FIRST. I also have to book my vacations several weeks in advance due to limited availability of time off at work. Because Universal’s piece isn’t pushing me over the edge, this may not work into my travel plans. In effect, both Disney AND Universal lose my locked-in travel plans and whatever massive deposit I’m making. This also means that UNIVERSAL, not Disney, is losing my hotel booking, because Disney hotels have truly proven their lack of worth, charm, and comfort, while Cabana Bay may have a limited-time offering for this event and offers, overall, a much better price point and visit experience.

I think that this is where hype and marketing could have definitely swayed me. If something like the old Lady Luck site had been made for this year I think I really would push for a visit and stretch my time and budget some more. Before we all get bent out of shape about the importance of a website, these sorts of things are being done all over the place, from the Stranger Things X Domino’s Mind Ordering App to JupitersClaim.com . At least for me, these two pieces make me so excited for their source material by making me the main character of the story and letting me in on the “vibes” of what may happen in the movie/TV show to make me more invested as an individual.

As of now, my brain wants to tell me “two repeats and a Happy Death Day, do you really want to spend all that money and deal with Disney’s BS?” *** Maybe that changes later. But yeah, to answer the question with my “vacation calculus”, people on this site absolutely plan their trip based on the lineup as well as so many other aspects… though line-up is currently driving MY personal decision.

***EDIT: I understand how HHN works, I know that it isn’t two direct repeats and “Happy Death Day”, that’s a major simplification.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coolbfitz
No shade at all to prior posters - to each their own on these opinions - but I am absolutely fired up for all three houses announced so far.

Halloween 1978 is one of the best horror movies ever with an amazing score, too. I know they’ve done it before but it’s been a bit, and if you’re going to bring back properties a handful of years later, this is certainly one to do that with. The Universal Monsters house from 29 is an all-timer and the Universal Monsters house this year has three of the most fun monsters together who will now each get featured 3x more in a new original story. Freaky is a fun movie and The Black Phone is a great, suspenseful new movie with great masks. These are popular and new IPs that we’ve never seen before and they really don’t have anything in common with prior Blumhouse options.

Again, zero shade to anyone, and I appreciate hearing everyone’s opinions, which they’re entitled to, I guess I’m just saying that as a huge HHN and horror fan, just the three announced houses seem like they are going to be so much fun, at least for me.

No shade at all to prior posters - to each their own on these opinions - but I am absolutely fired up for all three houses announced so far.

Halloween 1978 is one of the best horror movies ever with an amazing score, too. I know they’ve done it before but it’s been a bit, and if you’re going to bring back properties a handful of years later, this is certainly one to do that with. The Universal Monsters house from 29 is an all-timer and the Universal Monsters house this year has three of the most fun monsters together who will now each get featured 3x more in a new original story. Freaky is a fun movie and The Black Phone is a great, suspenseful new movie with great masks. These are popular and new IPs that we’ve never seen before and they really don’t have anything in common with prior Blumhouse options.

Again, zero shade to anyone, and I appreciate hearing everyone’s opinions, which they’re entitled to, I guess I’m just saying that as a huge HHN and horror fan, just the three announced houses seem like they are going to be so much fun, at least for me.
I can't WAIT to see how they incorporate The Black Phone's score. The score for that movie is chilling.

So I am a relatively new parent - we weren't planning to be at HHN for quite a few years. When the first spec map came out with The Last of Us (both of our favorite game of all time) that was enough to find a sitter and book a trip.

And here we are LOL

You can't argue preference. Honestly, I'm really excited for the Monsters house too.

Universal markets the event towards locals mostly, for better or worse. There’s been loads of expansion as a reason to travel and not just another thing to do on your vacation, but I dunno if Universal wants to make that jump for international guests.

Reactions: SeventyOne
From my viewpoint, it seems weird to base deciding to go to HHN or not around the house lineup. If you're traveling you obviously should factor in every thing to make as smart a decision as possible but it seems like a weird thing to hold highly. It's a string of haunted houses and, outside of length discussions, is literally the top of that industry in terms of production value. Even if there are films or properties I don't enjoy, the event and houses themselves will undoubtedly be top notch. Nowhere else in the world are you looking at a haunt and thinking "man, I don't know about the line up this year. Toxic Waste Apocalypse Zombies and Spooky Hologram Ghosts again? No thanks."

I understand HHN is special because it can be a huge expense to people but the huge expense is partly because it's literally the "best" haunted house in the world every September - October.

(The only thing HHN fails at is hay tractor rides, which is unfortunate but it is what it is.)

Universal is doing a pretty smart announcement schedule this year. No point in announcing the headliner until July when the "general public" is just starting to think about Fall/Halloween. I thought Beetlejuice was announced way too early last year.

The only thing I wish they changed was releasing the occasional background story/concept art or a scare zone announcement (one at a time instead of announcing all of them at the same time) every few weeks to calm down fans that demand an announcement every week.

Reactions: Uouserhhn
Lurker since 2019

If I am being honest, this years line up is probably the one year that I have been least excited for and I won't deny that I am beyond gutted that Stranger Things won't be there ( next year though )
On the flip side I am also excited, as in previous years there has been both ip and original houses that I wasn't quite interested in yet they turned out to be some of the best houses! So even if this years line up doesn't feel as 'big' as the others, it is still going to be great regardless.

I too come from the UK and I always book my holiday a year in advance, way before any houses or speculation begins- the houses play a big part in the event but there is so much more to do and see

After not being able to travel/ make the last 2 events, I am beyond excited for this years event and as always, Universal will pull off a great job.

Everyone has different opinions, I respect that but give this years line up a chance, you never know- you may be pleasantly surprised

Countdown is on, see you all on the flipside in 89 days!

Serious question- why do fans love the Terra Queen so much?

It was the hardest the event has ever leaned into fan service (yes, I also attended 25). The whole "everything is connected" gimmick -- which felt like a stretch even then, evil schoolgirls and bikers and the guys you ripped off from Buffy all live in the same universe? -- gave online fans a sense of power, like knowing the houses before all your friends do or learning from the Behind the Screams tour that the masoleum names are all the actors from The Brady Bunch.. And they kept it up through the event, culminating in a dozen or two super-fans actually getting to take a part in the final show. Even though relatively few got to do that, the fact that they did was mind-blowing to the online community.

Also, her show was solid. The set was large, the effects were surprisingly gruesome. Eelmouth, the main MC, did a fair amount of ad-libbing and was played by actors who would also be fan favorites as Jack the Clown and Otis T. Wren, so they knew how to work the mic. Backed up with an overall solid house line-up (two GOAT in there for me), and the last event in IoA. In other words, a solid event only improved though the lens of nostalgia.

I would never make the decision to not go to the event based on the house line-up. I may not like a movie/tv property they are using for a house but it doesn't mean I won't love the house. For instance, I hated The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix as a show but I really loved the house last year. I don't like Rob Zombie's music at all but loved the scare zone. I had never seen House of 1000 Corpses but enjoyed the house. The flip side of that is I was pretty pumped for Chance and Lunatics' Playground, yet ended up being very disappointed in the house and how she was used at the event. I had no idea who The Weeknd was until the rumored house (and still don't know any songs by the artist and no imagery other than what has been posted), but it may end up being one of the best houses ever. Who knows? I judge HHN on the execution of their line-up not what the actual line-up is and I can't do that until I've been through the houses a couple of times.

I’ve been going to HHN long enough for me to not get bummed out if the IP houses don’t line up to my personal taste. I’ve been surprised before by ones I wasn’t looking forward to, and been disappointed by the ones I was. Usually my favorites go to the originals anyway (although sometimes the knock an IP out of the park…Halloween-AWIL-CitW….). That said HHN for me now has turned into a place that me and my wife and friends can go and enjoy some horror with like minded individuals.

Look, I would love to visit this year. I ALWAYS make a ritual of re-watching or watching the movies honored each year, and often I find myself re-watching (I’ve probably seen Halloween three times because of HHN specifically). I’m definitely not saying these aren’t going to be all-timers. And there is often little relation between actual quality and name recognition.

But this is a “can I afford to skip” situation. If the best ride in the entire world opened and it was themed to the Minions, I wouldn’t be thrilled. If it were a sub-par attraction themed to Back To The Future (or even like, an escape room lol), I would definitely be more apt to give it the benefit of the doubt. That’s, I think, why the IP exist at this event in the first place. When it’s all announced, I will make an effort to go, but not as hard of an effort as an icon year or a year with a great story or a year with a really iconic property I’ve never seen.

I would tell a first-timer to go, go, go, and quickly, if they like horror at all, or even if they were major immersive experience fans or theatre/theme park nerds at all. But It’s different if it’s your fifth/tenth/fifteenth year going, I think.

Reactions: Vtbucsfan
I dont have the time to go through all these posts but.... in regards to the weeknd.... could he be new show? Like I know not him personally but like a show with his music?

I couldn’t possibly base my opinion on going based on the line up- simply because what I go in hyped about is IP’s, and what I end up loving is originals. I know that’s what USO tries to market towards too- IPs draw people in and originals make Stans. So, is this my favorite IP lineup? Nope not even close. But the originals are going to be great either way. And, in regards to The Weeknd, his house is the IP I am most excited to see because it is something new. USO cannot afford to not change and he is going to bring in a much younger demographic who will hopefully fall in love with the originals- like we all did. And that’s what will keep everyone going year after year. And I am not a local, my husband and I travel from chicago on his postal $ and my corrections officer $ so it’s a Choice for us

Status
Not open for further replies.