Halloween Horror Nights 32 (UOR) - News & Info | Page 31 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 32 (UOR) - News & Info

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This year, I got Ultimate Frequent Fear with Express for the first time, and haven't missed a single night so far (waiting in Dueling Dragons line while typing this!).

And really, I don't think taking away FFP or Ultimate will really do too much. The general feeling I've gotten is most of the busier, sold out nights have been from single night guests there for ST4 and TLoU, or just doing a single night out with friends to check out HHN.
But how many hours are u in the event every day?

And I fully agree, but my point is I'm not sure if taking away FFP will really do too much about that. Either way, ST4 and TLoU are probably still gonna have 2-hour lines every night

And, what I always wonder,
If the worst days are Friday and Saturday then the regular frequent fear passes have nothing to do with that. Nothing at all.

And for example Wednesdays they are a frequent fear day, the event is not as crowded at all. Lines are pretty good.
So if frequent fear is so bad, how come Saturdays are so awful and Wednesdays aren't?
Even today the lines weren't too bad.

Reactions: Midnight Detective
But how many hours are u in the event every day?

And, what I always wonder,
If the worst days are Friday and Saturday then the regular frequent fear passes have nothing to do with that. Nothing at all.

And for example Wednesdays they are a frequent fear day, the event is not as crowded at all. Lines are pretty good.
So if frequent fear is so bad, how come Saturdays are so awful and Wednesdays aren't?
Even today the lines weren't too bad.
I'm usually there from Stay-n-Scream till close. Three nights I got there a bit later (waiting for rain to clear out), but I have always been there till close!

• Wow
Reactions: Lucky Planet
I'm usually there from Stay-n-Scream till close. Three nights I got there a bit later (waiting for rain to clear out), but I have always been there till close!

I'm just a midnight traveler lol :lmao: midnight visitor. I couldnt Imagine staying every day from opening to closing. Honestly in 15 years of going I have only done from opening to closing 4 times. Literally 4 days in 15 years because family came.

Weather today, It was actually really really windy. Summer heat is finally over. It was super windy and cloudy

Reactions: Midnight Detective
I don't normally post here too much but would like to weigh in with my opinion on crowds. This year reminds me a lot of 2018/2019 where most nights sold out and the event was packed almost every single night, and Universal did not change anything after that. I do think that Universal should remove some types of passes but not all. First take away ROF, as September has proven to be much more busy then it has in previous years. Keep FFP and UltimateFF, and only haven an express option with UltimateFF. Maybe offer discounted express for FFP holders, but even that may be a little much. And then finally cut sales of these passes the night before the event starts so that guests would not be able to purchase them last minute or during the season. I think this option would suit everyone and would force many guests into either paying more if they want to go multiple nights, for the more expensive multi night passes, or just buy a few single night tickets and call it a year. Another more unlikely option would be a build your own FF, where Universal does something like they did this year where you selected the first night you would be attending, but instead of just the first night you select all the nights you plan on attending, kind of like a reservation system, and it prices it out from there with a minimum and maximum price depending on how many nights were selected. This would allow Universal to have a much better idea of how many of the multi night passholders would be attending on any given night.

Last edited:
  • Love
This year, I got Ultimate Frequent Fear with Express for the first time, and haven't missed a single night so far (waiting in Dueling Dragons line while typing this!).

And really, I don't think taking away FFP or Ultimate will really do too much. The general feeling I've gotten is most of the busier, sold out nights have been from single night guests there for ST4 and TLoU, or just doing a single night out with friends to check out HHN.
This isn't an attack, just an honest question. So please don't take offense.

You've gone twenty times so far in just under a month. Why? Doesn't it get old? Like, is there even any joy in going through the houses any more? Haven't you got everything pretty much memorized by now?

I know that we go 3-4 times the week that we travel (which starts Sunday, so anyone around say "hey"), and I know we're pretty over it by our final night. It usually ends with us saying, "Eh...we could wait 45mins to see this house again...or we could go back, sit in bed, and have a snack.".

Again, this is genuine curiosity. I'm just trying to understand the appeal.

You've gone twenty times so far in just under a month. Why? Doesn't it get old? Like, is there even any joy in going through the houses any more? Haven't you got everything pretty much memorized by now?

I know that we go 3-4 times the week that we travel (which starts Sunday, so anyone around say "hey"), and I know we're pretty over it by our final night. It usually ends with us saying, "Eh...we could wait 45mins to see this house again...or we could go back, sit in bed, and have a snack.".

I myself have only gone about 13 nights this year, but for me it really helps with some issues I have in my life, its my escape and my happy place as weird as that sounds. I enjoy being able to go to all of these different worlds, looking at the sets, the costumes, the makeup. I can just sit in the streets and enjoy the atmosphere. When Bill & Ted was there I would go to the last show of the night each and every night. I never get bored of this event, but thats just me.

I don’t go that much but I do go a lot and I can say no, it Dosen’t. With there being cast A and B, scares depending on timing, other guest, etc. it never does.

Is it a little much? Yes it is. But it’s fun.

I'm gonna say something shocking...but nobody needs to go this event more than once a week!!
I get your general point, as I suspect you probably meant it more for locals … but my squad is flying down from Philly for 8 days at considerable cost. So, yeah, I want / need to do more than one day in a week to make it worth it. But as I said up-thread, I’d love a pass option for 5 or 6 visits where I have to pick specific dates (obviously we know them). Right now we buy the FFP because it’s the most cost effective. But we will not be going for more than 6 nights total.

My only takeaway is that it’s incredibly ironic and funny to see HHN “influencers” complain on social media that the park was too crowded on their 3rd plus visit of the year already and Universal needs to do something about it.
We all know HHN is busy, nobody is questioning is that, we're just questioning some of the operations/decisions of the event that led to some horrendous bottlenecks, long lines, etc.

I don't understand the consistent claims that Frequent Fear Passholders spend more than one- or two-night guests. A frequent fear passholder is far more likely to eat before the event starts, show up for Stay and Scream, get one or two drinks, do five houses, and leave when it gets packed. A one- or two-nighter is largely going to spend most of their evening there to get their money's worth, so they seem more likely to three to four drinks over the course of the evening, at least one full meal, and a souvenir or two.
This was Disney's thinking and it bit them on the butt at the end. FFP probably spends more on merchandise (or is at least exposed to it more often), same with food. Sure if you were to divide total spending / the number of nights visited the one-night generated revenue per night... but it's not like FFP people don't spend money at all.

I just think HHN has a few ops/capacity issues to address first before they start placing reservations/limiting Frequent Fear/etc.

I don't understand the consistent claims that Frequent Fear Passholders spend more than one- or two-night guests. A frequent fear passholder is far more likely to eat before the event starts, show up for Stay and Scream, get one or two drinks, do five houses, and leave when it gets packed. A one- or two-nighter is largely going to spend most of their evening there to get their money's worth, so they seem more likely to three to four drinks over the course of the evening, at least one full meal, and a souvenir or two.
Still need to separate this conversation into 2 dimensions: Locals vs. out of town guests on one axis and buying daily passes vs. multi night passes on the other.

We flew in from out of town, stayed onsite, ate every meal onsite incl. dinner plus snacks plus significant drinks at HHN. Every night passed through the Company Store near the exit and purchased something on the way to the boat dock or to another CW venue.

We also had ROF tickets since that was the best price to give us 5 nights at the event.

Purely anecdotal I know. For every group who vacations like mine does re HHN there are other out-of-towners who are onsite but only do one night of HHN or FFP locals who do every night of HHN from 3PM to 2AM.

They really need to find solutions for all 4 groupings of guests.

I get your general point, as I suspect you probably meant it more for locals … but my squad is flying down from Philly for 8 days at considerable cost. So, yeah, I want / need to do more than one day in a week to make it worth it. But as I said up-thread, I’d love a pass option for 5 or 6 visits where I have to pick specific dates (obviously we know them). Right now we buy the FFP because it’s the most cost effective. But we will not be going for more than 6 nights total.
In the same situation (even fly out of Philly). We get FFP with express and go 6-7nights. We actually fly down twice just because we have FFP and stay at Sapphire for 9 nights total a year. If there was no FFP or if it continues to go up where it’s not practical , I would just come down for 2 nights and be fine with it.

The big question is do the people who call the shots think the event is broken? A significant portion of the annual profit a year for the theme parks comes from HHN, If I was guessing at least 30%. The event is money printing machine. Them cutting out FFP was about money not efficiency. They will now sale out of most of the single night and Express passes at a significantly higher price. Why have someone pay $699 for FFP with Express when they will pay $500 for 1 night?

Last edited:
  • Sad
Ascribing behavior to types of ticket users is kind of hit or miss to be honest.

In the years I had a FF pass, I’d do the math at the end to add up my total spend outside of the ticket and it was usually in the $400-500 range, and I’ve never purchased a single piece of HHN merchandise. Some nights I’d buy nothing, other nights it’s 3-4 drinks plus food. I’d add it up at the end to remind myself of the actual “cost” of going beyond just the ticket. If they get rid of FF passes, the people who drop $1,000 over the course of the event are not magically backfilled with single night goers - those are different audiences. They’d also be annoying the people who (although I just said ascribing behavior is hit or miss) are most likely to be smashing the refresh button on the online store the day new merch drops to buy things.

That said, my experience is also just anecdotal. Universal is the only one with the macro data, and frankly I think a lot of the complaints are down to more little operational things they could fix and not some massively broken event. The HHN Operations thread had a good link to an article from 2007 where all of the complaints of today were around back then.

I guess the question really to me comes down to: "What would be considered 'fixed' by everyone here?" What is the defining problem?

- Is it not being able to do all the event offers in one night?
- Is it simpler things like improvements in food/comfort features?
- Is it not having enough to do?
- Is it disappointment in the current offerings?

I guess the question really to me comes down to: "What would be considered 'fixed' by everyone here?" What is the defining problem?

More shows. The houses are great. We found yummy food. The sour apple funnel fries were a stand out. The line was short cause you get it at the same booth as that horrible hotdog disaster

Great question. I think the biggest complaint I'm seeing relates to how the express queues are being managed. At present, there are simply too many people with express, which upsets those who paid for the privilege and trickles down to everything else, including making the standby lines longer than they should be (even if there are now baffling scenarios where some guests waiting in standby can reach the house before someone in express).

The other chief complaint seems to hinge on crowding in the streets. This has always been a problem, and I'm not sure there's a clear solution other than "add stuff that takes people off the streets," but the trouble there is that comes with a capacity increase, so you're just "adding a lane to the highway."

IMO it’s not being able to do everything in one night and not affordable to do more nights. The event is impossible without express. A family of 4 is paying $600( just admission)a night and MAYBE does half the event.

The event has always been tough In the past to do in one night but there were options.

They had a buy one get one night free.

Express passes were less money for the people who were there 1 night. Now that family of 4 has to pay $1k additional for express.

Now they shut off FFP for the season which was another work around for the “loyal “ fans of the event.

Universal can do what they want and I know they exist to make money. I just believe if they continue to raise prices and not offer more, the event might take a backslide in the years to come.

1. will vary drastically by the type of guest as we've discussed here. Not all guests will want to/be able to see it all in one night.
  2. these will help - easy fixes on logistics and comfort will help the event "feel" less crowded than it might actually be. 40 mins in line to get food after an average wait in a house line in the blaring sun will make people hangry and overestimate their frustrations etc.
    • I didn't specifically mention this "hangry" bit in my review post, but the multiple times for the food booth staff to not know what the fsck they are selling (sambusa coffins) when there are literally 3 items on the menu made me see red and seethe for a while. Had to be talked off the ledge by my wife to let it go, "we'll talk to guest services later", and get back mentally to a place where I could salvage and enjoy the evening. A silly overreaction I know but that did color my impression of the event and the crowds and everything in my head for a short while. Then I went and got killed by Dr. Oddfellow and all was right with the world again. My point is that I am probably not alone in experiencing easily-fixable problems and having them color my impression of the event.
  3. this will also help - spread the crowds out so it "feels" less crowded than it actually might be. Easier said than done as we've all discussed here ad nauseum. This year is unique with having to work around construction etc.
  4. Not for me. What is offered (houses/zones/food concepts) are great this year. Just tweaking operations and making incremental improvements to the house experience (as they seem to be doing over the last month) helps and makes people less hangry and makes the event "feel" less crowded than it actually might be.
Fix the self-owns that are easily fixable and I think guests will respond better to "feelings" of crowdedness.

See, this is why I ask. All four answers are dramatically different which is fascinating. There's no clear consensus on what exactly is broken. We've got:

- Needs more shows
- Express & streets are too crowded
- Not able to do everything in one night & too expensive
- Fix the food lines

Some are simpler than others and some directly clash. "More shows" for example clashes directly with "not being able to do everything in one night". I don't have any direct answers and I'm not trying to say any options are right or wrong. I just find this very intriguing.

Last edited:
See, this is why I ask. All four answers are dramatically different which is fascinating. There's no clear consensus on what exactly is broken. We've got:

- Needs more shows
- Express & streets are too crowded
- Not able to do everything in one night & too expensive
- Fix the food lines

Some are simpler than others and some directly clash. "More shows" for example clashes directly with "not being able to do everything in one night". I don't have any direct answers, so I just find this intriguing.
Someone else in the thread said it perfectly

“ I think what people are feeling is Universal trying to price people out of the event.”

With increased prices comes increased expectations.

Reactions: SeventyOne

I myself have only gone about 13 nights this year, but for me it really helps with some issues I have in my life, its my escape and my happy place as weird as that sounds. I enjoy being able to go to all of these different worlds, looking at the sets, the costumes, the makeup. I can just sit in the streets and enjoy the atmosphere. When Bill & Ted was there I would go to the last show of the night each and every night. I never get bored of this event, but thats just me.

By the end of October I literally just sit by the scarezones and do the rides and I used to do the lagoon show every single night I could. ( even watch it from outside the viewing area. ) by the end, the last week I think I stop doing houses and just enjoy the park itself. Do the shows, sometimes I literally just walk around doing nothing at all by the last day.

Losing the lagoon show this year is the most painful thing that could have happened this year......

Still need to separate this conversation into 2 dimensions: Locals vs. out of town guests on one axis and buying daily passes vs. multi night passes on the other.

We flew in from out of town, stayed onsite, ate every meal onsite incl. dinner plus snacks plus significant drinks at HHN. Every night passed through the Company Store near the exit and purchased something on the way to the boat dock or to another CW venue.

We also had ROF tickets since that was the best price to give us 5 nights at the event.

Purely anecdotal I know. For every group who vacations like mine does re HHN there are other out-of-towners who are onsite but only do one night of HHN or FFP locals who do every night of HHN from 3PM to 2AM.

They really need to find solutions for all 4 groupings of guests.

Ascribing behavior to types of ticket users is kind of hit or miss to be honest.

In the years I had a FF pass, I’d do the math at the end to add up my total spend outside of the ticket and it was usually in the $400-500 range, and I’ve never purchased a single piece of HHN merchandise. Some nights I’d buy nothing, other nights it’s 3-4 drinks plus food. I’d add it up at the end to remind myself of the actual “cost” of going beyond just the ticket. If they get rid of FF passes, the people who drop $1,000 over the course of the event are not magically backfilled with single night goers - those are different audiences. They’d also be annoying the people who (although I just said ascribing behavior is hit or miss) are most likely to be smashing the refresh button on the online store the day new merch drops to buy things.

That said, my experience is also just anecdotal. Universal is the only one with the macro data, and frankly I think a lot of the complaints are down to more little operational things they could fix and not some massively broken event. The HHN Operations thread had a good link to an article from 2007 where all of the complaints of today were around back then.

And this brings a good point. Should universal stop selling FFP to people out of Florida? How many people out of Florida buy ffp.
A decade ago I used to think that FFP was only sold to locals, I didn't know people out of state were buying it, but how much would that backfire on universal?
Everyone is attacking FFP passes as the reason for the crowds, but then how much of that is locals vs out of state guests?
Does Publix and Spencer's still offer discounts? Maybe universal can remove all discounts completely

Do you get a discount if an employee helps you buy the ticket or an annual pass holder helps you? Does that still exist? I honestly don't know if Publix or employee discounts still exist.

Seems like there is so much wiggle room to "fix " the issue. You can literally start by removing any discounts for locals and remove any perks for annual pass holders or employees,
I've used the help of people to get discounts in the past but they could just have one set price

( why are tickets cheaper on the website vs the entrance of the park?
Why does universal want you to pay cheaper on the website? What's the benefit for UNIVERSAL to have a lower price on their website?
Does universal get a benefit from selling online?)

I don't know, I hate to bite the hand that feeds but uni has all these plans and local discounts that I have used myself that could be removed. Just the discount on the website aline can be removed immediately if they needed to.

Last edited: