Halloween Horror Nights 32 (UOR) - News & Info | Page 32 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 32 (UOR) - News & Info

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This isn't an attack, just an honest question. So please don't take offense.

You've gone twenty times so far in just under a month. Why? Doesn't it get old? Like, is there even any joy in going through the houses any more? Haven't you got everything pretty much memorized by now?

I know that we go 3-4 times the week that we travel (which starts Sunday, so anyone around say "hey"), and I know we're pretty over it by our final night. It usually ends with us saying, "Eh...we could wait 45mins to see this house again...or we could go back, sit in bed, and have a snack.".

Again, this is genuine curiosity. I'm just trying to understand the appeal.
As others have said, it really doesn't get old. It's such a fun and amazing event that lets you escape and have fun for a whole night. Add that to also the joy of watching houses and zones evolve. New scares added (or ones you've missed), new props and/or voice lines added, there's so much to love.

yes, because it enables them to have lower staffing at ticket booths. it's also useful for projecting attendance.
Ok they makes perfect sense. It's actually useful to sell online. And I guess the discount encourages a type of reservation since buying it online helps with projecting attendance and even hotel stays. It probably helps a lot of people plan their stay and going in the daytime
Out of state people staying on site are spending lots and lots of dollars per visit, hotels, food, tickets. That's the prime customer. You never want to discourage on site tourists, especially those staying for multiple evenings.

Yeah I see what you mean. If anything out of state guests should have get more perks. That's definitely true. Every meal you get would be in the park or hotel or city walk. Every single drink. Your entire day and night would be at universal property.

Feels like universal is in an impossible situation because anything they do will anger different sections of the fan base.

Reactions: sparky and Mad Dog
Out of state people staying on site are spending lots and lots of dollars per visit, hotels, food, tickets. That's the prime customer. You never want to discourage on site tourists, especially those staying for multiple evenings.
Can confirm. Do 8 days every year. I literally get a second job doing construction on the side to pay for it (gladly … HHN is my happy place).

Personally, I feel the best move would be to just remove Express from multi day passes, leave the passes as is otherwise. Maybe add an option for X number of days of Express for $X. Maybe just have certain days as blocked out from Express multi-day.

But, has Express really been bad this year (outside of opening weekend when a good number of the multi-day folks seem to show up)?

I know crowd wise, it seemed like one week (not counting opening weekend which I avoid) was more crowded than any other time I've attended. The 'sold out' dates afterwords were not nearly as crowded feeling to me.

When it comes to guest spend from these multi-day visitors -- well, just one example. I know someone w/ Ultimate + Express. I doubt they spend much nightly, but they are an AP (so they can get in to do stay and scream) they use S&S, they go every night, I tend to run into them when they are leaving and we are arriving (they tend to be out by 9:30 -- but they also do every lights on tour there is, I bet that has a good profit margin, they might spend more than my family does on dinning for the 10 or so nights we might stop by even when they spend $0 during the event.

Personally, I feel the best move would be to just remove Express from multi day passes, leave the passes as is otherwise. Maybe add an option for X number of days of Express for $X. Maybe just have certain days as blocked out from Express multi-day.
There lies the problem. If they totally get rid of Express for multi-night tickets my group and I would stop going (again, 8 days, 6 for HHN … and we spend A LOT outside of the HHN tickets).

I know there’s no solution to make everyone happy, but there has to be something. I personally like the idea of better, more-varied multi-night ticket options for people like me who travel, where we can pick specific dates. Yes, I have a pass for every night, but I know which 6 nights I am actually going.

There lies the problem. If they totally get rid of Express for multi-night tickets my group and I would stop going (again, 8 days, 6 for HHN … and we spend A LOT outside of the HHN tickets).

I know there’s no solution to make everyone happy, but there has to be something. I personally like the idea of better, more-varied multi-night ticket options for people like me who travel, where we can pick specific dates. Yes, I have a pass for every night, but I know which 6 nights I am actually going.

I don’t know if this would fix much of the problem or not, but one idea that came to me that I don’t know if I’ve seen anyone else mention is the idea of a monthly FFP. The Rush of Fear becomes the September pass and then the same type of thing is offered for October. If each of these are prices at a similar rate to the current FFPP rates, then it would be a pretty big price increase for anyone who wanted to have admission to every single night of the event, but wouldn’t be a dramatic increase to those that want a Frequent Fear, but only come down for one or two trips. I, personally, could just buy the October pass and they would know I wouldn’t be attending in September at all.

Just a thought

I don’t know if this would fix much of the problem or not, but one idea that came to me that I don’t know if I’ve seen anyone else mention is the idea of a monthly FFP. The Rush of Fear becomes the September pass and then the same type of thing is offered for October. If each of these are prices at a similar rate to the current FFPP rates, then it would be a pretty big price increase for anyone who wanted to have admission to every single night of the event, but wouldn’t be a dramatic increase to those that want a Frequent Fear, but only come down for one or two trips. I, personally, could just buy the October pass and they would know I wouldn’t be attending in September at all.

Just a thought
Effectively doubling the price for the “power users”. Hmmm.

What about cutting back on IPs and doing mostly originals for the next few events. It might not help next year at first but once people start going and realizing not many IPs will be there they will be disappointed and start not coming. This won’t fix everything but it’s a start. What you all think?

Reactions: MI1287
What about cutting back on IPs and doing mostly originals for the next few events. It might not help next year at first but once people start going and realizing not many IPs will be there they will be disappointed and start not coming. This won’t fix everything but it’s a start. What you all think?
Lol I literally said this exact idea 4 days ago :lmao:
We came to the same conclusion lol

• Haha
Reactions: Kichkinet85
I think they should keep the same amount of IPs, but only feature 1-2 that would bring gigantic crowds. The rest of the IP line-up should be more niche properties.

TLOU, ST, Exorcist, Chucky, and Monsters is an insane IP line-up, and was 100% asking for the crowds we're seeing.

Last edited:
making the event less appealing to ticket buyers doesn’t seem like a realistic or particularly effective method for solving these problems.

it’s worth remembering that these crowds are quite good for universal. their challenge is to maintain that level of appeal without allowing the event to be no fun to go to.

It’s a bad idea for Universals profit which means it isn’t going to happen.

Extremely fare comments! We use to stay on site and get RoF. That was (mostly) begore they had WED in Sept, a time when they had 8 houses. We would go for four nights. The hotels seemed to be filled w/ many HHN guest, each year we had to book a hotel earlier and earlier (even as rooms were added (Cabana Bay, Sapphire Falls, Aventure all came online during this time frame). I have always been surprised that they offer a package w/ only ONE HHN night (and multiple park days) -- it is almost as if UoR does not know HHN is a multi-night event (especially for hotel guest (international visitors are in the HHN mix as well as states side) -- they seem to have started to add HHN stuff to the hotel -- then to hear folks are backing out of reservations due to the lack of a FF pass -- just shows how the hotels are aided by multi-night HHN guest. I so recall that first year of HHN for Cabana Bay, how they figured out that all they needed was a was a rack w/ pizzas ready to go to ring up the registers after midnight as the busses unloaded, so yes, I know the hotels are filled due to HHN and why would these fans only want one night? So yes, they need something for the hotel guest moreso than the locals (I would think) for these spender.

Just a thought

RoF ended on 9/24 this year (due to the earlier start. RoF does not block FRI or SAT like FF (w/o the plus FRI) does, just pointing out that the products are rather different at the moment anyway.

Let’s call this overcrowding the “Stranger Things” effect

funny thing is ow many folks are dressing in Chucky garb -- sure there are many many more Hellfire Club shirts, but Chucky seems like a big draw as well (or at least seems to sell a crap ton of merch.

funny thing is ow many folks are dressing in Chucky garb -- sure there are many many more Hellfire Club shirts, but Chucky seems like a big draw as well (or at least seems to sell a crap ton of merch.
Younglings mostly. I see it at work. When I ask if they are chuckie fans they kinda shrug. Weird fan base.

• Haha
Reactions: Lucky Planet