Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Construction | Page 13 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Construction

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It's literally 90s era spooky product advertising. It fits the vibe. Besides, be thankful it's not inflatables & dancing wind-sock zombies.
The 90s vibe really seems to be something certain fans are projecting onto the event rather than anything real. None of the houses or zones or even food stands seem even vaguely 90s related. Even the merch only seems particularly 90s if you squint and reach.

The 90s vibe really seems to be something certain fans are projecting onto the event rather than anything real. None of the houses or zones or even food stands seem even vaguely 90s related. Even the merch only seems particularly 90s if you squint and reach.

Even if they were doing a 90s theme, I'd still say those Fanta booths are out of place, tacky, and actively detrimental to the prestige of the event.

Another year going through the motions lol

David Byrne Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

No comment. I'll reserve judgement for the interior.

One thing I wish they did was tie the tribute store to the zone it's located in. At least in facade and the first room.
This particular one reeks of budget constraints.

Design: "Yo, here's what we have planned for the Tribute Store this year. It's going to be sweeeeet"
Accounting: "Here's your budget"
Design: "Let's put most of the money toward the inside, and we'll just slap a big sign out front"

C'mon guys, the Renfaire is taking place in the MIDDLE OF NYC going by the area of the park it's in. Spoiler Alert: NYC is full of graffiti and (used to be full of) abandoned buildings. With the Tribute Store rumored to be an abandoned building, it makes sense that some low-class Ren Faire would take place in the same area and blocking entrances to abandoned buildings with shipping containers and tractor trailers is a real thing. Saw that a lot growing up in NY.

There was an abandoned school that they were always saying was going to be turned into something big in the future. It literally had shipping containers blocking the double-door entrances to the Gym. The front of school had all the widows boarded up (it faced a main road so guess they felt that was secure enough) and jersey barriers stacked up by the doors. The sides of the school had like 4 or 5 tractor trailers blocking the doors and windows. Just parked up almost against he building so blocking all the windows and doors along it's length. It's a cheap and more secure solution, and makes getting in easier for inspectors and stuff (just have to move a truck). People can't break in with a pair of bolt cutters or a prybar.

So it absolutely fits in with NYC (I'm talking about the Bronx or something, not mid town Manhattan) and seems to be the kind of location that would welcome a low caliber Ren Faire.

Not gonna keep beating a dead horse by adding my thoughts on design choices for this year, but I strongly dislike that this is so close to Torture Faire.
You, uh, ever been to a renaissance faire?

Seriously all this complaining and none of you even know what you are complaining about. It’s a damn renaissance faire, not an actual medieval themed scare zone. For god’s sake, have some dignity.

The theme is on point as mentioned by Neo. It’s a renaissance faire in the middle of NY. So I’ll ask again, have you been to a renaissance faire, and have you been to NY? Ok got it? Yeah, there you go. Now imagine a faire happening in the middle of that city. That’s literally the theme.

In other words if you’re gonna complain about the theming, understand the theming first.

Last edited:
regardless of what you would consider "thematically blended in", compared to what they built literally last year, with all the details they put into just the facade, just to have a metal box spray painted sucks a lot and makes me infinitely less excited or intrigued. Tack on the six flags AI fanta stuff and I am just growing less enthusiastic with so many of these choices.
*edit*: They create a detailed board game thematically aligned with the store that 95% of visitors didn't look at or care about, just for the window display, on top of creating actual comics for the store - while the same event the next year puts *that* out is a punch to the gut for a fan who expects that detail and care, sorry.

Last edited:
You, uh, ever been to a renaissance faire?

Seriously all this complaining and none of you even know what you are complaining about. It’s a damn renaissance faire, not an actual medieval themed scare zone. For god’s sake, have some dignity.

The theme is on point as mentioned by Neo. It’s a renaissance faire in the middle of NY. So I’ll ask again, have you been to a renaissance faire, and have you been to NY? Ok got it? Yeah, there you go. Now imagine a faire happening in the middle of that city. That’s literally the theme.

In other if you’re gonna complain about the theming, understand the theming first.
Whether or not i’ve been to a renaissance faire or to NY are irrelevant to my personal OPINION that I’m not a fan of how it looks. You don’t know me or my experiences.

If it works thematically for you personally, I am happy for you. I read opinions of all sorts here and don’t always agree, but have never felt the need to call someone out with something like a “do you even renaissance fair bro?”. You can express your thoughts without condescension.

Whether or not i’ve been to a renaissance faire or to NY are irrelevant to my personal OPINION that I’m not a fan of how it looks. You don’t know me or my experiences.

If it works thematically for you personally, I am happy for you. I read opinions of all sorts here and don’t always agree, but have never felt the need to call someone out with something like a “do you even renaissance fair bro?”. You can express your thoughts without condescension.
It’s not about being condescending, it’s about you and others mentioning how all over the place the theming is when it’s not. It’s extremely on point. If you don’t like the theming, that’s fine. But to say the theming doesn’t make sense is a lack of understanding what the theme is.