Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Construction | Page 14 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Construction

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It’s not about being condescending, it’s about you and others mentioning how all over the place the theming is when it’s not. It’s extremely on point. If you don’t like the theming, that’s fine. But to say the theming doesn’t make sense is a lack of understanding of what the theme is.
People have a right to be critical because thematically it doesn’t fit. Personally, giant graffiti trailers don’t seem like they belong next to a Renaissance fair. Granted, this is a theme park and we have to suspend some belief, but compared to other years where the tribute store fit the theme of the scare zone, this feels wrong. I know it is New York, but it doesn't fit and is all over the place.

People have a right to be critical because thematically it doesn’t fit. Personally, giant graffiti trailers don’t seem like they belong next to a Renaissance fair. Granted, this is a theme park and we have to suspend some belief, but compared to other years where the tribute store fit the theme of the scare zone, this feels wrong. I know it is New York, but it doesn't fit and is all over the place.
Once more, for the back -

…this is a theme park and we have to suspend some belief.

There has always been a fairly general disconnect between the Tribute Store and the New York zone. In 2021, the sci-fi dystopia of Seek and Destroy hosted a quaint haunted house for its Tribute Store. It’s only ever “worked” because the Tribute Store is designed to fit NEW YORK, not the zone itself. And the zone is not always designed “for” a New York City setting (a ren faire is better suited for Central Park). In the past, when things didn’t jive, it was just widely ignored.

Once more, for the back -

…this is a theme park and we have to suspend some belief.

There has always been a fairly general disconnect between the Tribute Store and the New York zone. In 2021, the sci-fi dystopia of Seek and Destroy hosted a quaint haunted house for its Tribute Store. It’s only ever “worked” because the Tribute Store is designed to fit NEW YORK, not the zone itself. And the zone is not always designed “for” a New York City setting (a ren faire is better suited for Central Park). In the past, when things didn’t jive, it was just widely ignored.
You have to persuade people to suspend disbelief - it’s a bargain between guest and theme park. An ornate facade is much more likely to do that then something that smells of reduced budgets and a lack of care.

You have to persuade people to suspend disbelief - it’s a bargain between guest and theme park. An ornate facade is much more likely to do that then something that smells of reduced budgets and a lack of care.
I’d say that this facade is “ornate,” within its context. It’s realistic and accurately fits both the aesthetic of the store inside (as we know it)—Urban Decay—and the area that it’s in—New York City. It’s cohesive and comprehensive.

If there are concerns about it not fitting the zone, that’s reasonable but (arguably) irrelevant, since it’s not always uniform with the zone. Simply not likely THE AESTHETIC, which is fair for the individual, is not explicitly indicative of the events’ decline.

I agree that the theming of the Tribute Store exterior matches the theming of the merch and overall aesthetics of the marketing this year. That said, not a fan. Here's hoping the interior of the Tribute Store has better theming than the exterior does.

Not gonna keep beating a dead horse by adding my thoughts on design choices for this year, but I strongly dislike that this is so close to Torture Faire.

This year is so weird. The theming is just all over the place and this doesn’t fit. I’ll wait til I see the inside, but this feels out of place.

I don't even mind how it looks, but the entrance itself feels awkward. I'm ok with the graffiti, the container itself as a decoration prop is fine,
but, feels really awkward for that area. I'm ok with the theme, but the item itself feels strange

you have to enter by the side? this is personal preference, but I preferred when the entrance is wide open
the graffiti walls can be cool. but that entrance feels uncomfortable to see ( if that makes sense?)

Last edited:
I think most people, whether they realize it or not, are objecting to the aesthetic direction, not necessarily the integrity of the concept or its execution. Anecdotally, folks around here and elsewhere have been pretty consistently underwhelmed, confused, or repulsed by the punk look that's defining a lot of the merchandise (and now some of these Fanta stands).

I'm sure the interiors will be exquisitely done as always, but I get why people are less than thrilled.

I think most people, whether they realize it or not, are objecting to the aesthetic direction, not necessarily the integrity of the concept or its execution. Anecdotally, folks around here and elsewhere have been pretty consistently underwhelmed, confused, or repulsed by the punk look that's defining a lot of the merchandise (and now some of these Fanta stands).

I'm sure the interiors will be exquisitely done as always, but I get why people are less than thrilled.
I think most people would've been more receptive to it if it was a bit more consistent throughout the event. For example, over at Hollywood it seems to be the main scare zone so it makes sense on that coast, here though? It's kinda just... there.

I think most people would've been more receptive to it if it was a bit more consistent throughout the event. For example, over at Hollywood it seems to be the main scare zone so it makes sense on that coast, here though? It's kinda just... there.

I agree. Merchandising clearly ignored whatever the creative teams hoped to do with the theme this year and did what they liked, so now we have conflicting aesthetics between the punk stuff and the Otis/Sinist3r/Surr3al material. It's jarring and dissonant.

Punk and urban decay isn’t particularly 90s, it’s much more late 70s.
Brady Bunch K GIF

Reactions: DannyPowers
Seeing The Wolfman theming has me excited. There's not much there, but it's SOMETHING. I also really dig the house poster. Hopefully we get a trailer sometime soon!

I'm going to be honest - as long as I've been attending (since 2016), the Tribute Store tied into the NY zone exactly twice.

2022 - haunted house ride/theater in the town for Sweet Revenge

2023 - comic book store? Does that even count?

Idk why people are suddenly acting as if the Tribute store theme or facade needs to tie in with the zone. We got a giant cat head in 2019 and the zone was Zombieland.

(nobody cared)