Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 144 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
That's what's interesting about this stuff. People will get upset because they "lost" an IP when in reality they never actually "had" it lol
I mean, it’s still interesting if they wanted the property but couldn’t get it. NoES would have been a great IP for the event, but HHN will be fine without it (again, the originals are what matters). As someone interested in the workings of the entertainment industry and particularly in theme parks’ place within that industry, I’m still eager for any info on IP negotiations.

On another note, it makes sense that we likely won’t get firm announcements about HHN for a while given Uni’s desire to roll out EU and the parade and evening show. I do wonder if the lack of what they consider a “big” IP also makes the promotional department more inclined to dump all the info at once. It would be a silly decision, but it would seem to be in line with how they understand the event.

Interesting point of reference - for whatever reason A Nightmare on Elm Street seems to be a bit tricky to license. Dead by Daylight which has more horror licenses than you can shake a stick at couldn't get the Original NOES. They resorted to the remake.

Halloween, and anything done by John Carpenter, is a relative breeze to acquire and he's on record saying he'll pretty much let anyone roll with his franchises, and music, if they ask permission.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, or at least the first film and it's characters also seem to be pretty easy to pick-up, at least at the moment. There's a Texas Chainsaw game that was just released, a new entry in the franchise, and quite a few films in recent history.

Point is, based on recent history, it's not surprising to me that A Nightmare on Elm Street didn't come easy. My personal theory, based on the fact that we've only seen him in original Elm Street stories at the event, and I believe in Japan, is that the character is much easier to get than the film franchise.
That information about licensing makes a lot of sense. I assume NOES was never in the list of IPS we could have gotten for HHN this year or just in general was cut out for any reason. Now that you mention Halloween and that HHN could pretty much get the licensing rights for any IP done by John Carpenter why don't we have a house based off the thing yet? As a matter of fact was the thing actually maze before I have only started going recently.

That information about licensing makes a lot of sense. I assume NOES was never in the list of IPS we could have gotten for HHN this year or just in general was cut out for any reason. Now that you mention Halloween and that HHN could pretty much get the licensing rights for any IP done by John Carpenter why don't we have a house based off the thing yet? As a matter of fact was the thing actually maze before I have only started going recently.
The Thing has been featured several times, but there’s never been a house solely based on the 82 film.

I mean, it’s still interesting if they wanted the property but couldn’t get it. NoES would have been a great IP for the event, but HHN will be fine without it (again, the originals are what matters). As someone interested in the workings of the entertainment industry and particularly in theme parks’ place within that industry, I’m still eager for any info on IP negotiations.
Totally! But I think his point was more that getting invested emotionally in a property coming and then being disappointed that it's not — all while we're still firmly in the rumor stage — seems counterproductive.

Agreed, though. I love the Inside Baseball chat.

Follow up on the Nightmare on Elm Street rights. As of 2019 the Wes Craven estate owns the rights to both the film and the character in the US. New Line Cinema has rights to the character internationally. New Line Cinema was the party that licensed the character at the Carnival of Carnage.

That likely explains why Fredward has made 3 appearances internationally in recent history but not a whole lot in the US.

The funny this is, I would think that the Craven estate would be more willing to work with licensing than New Line would lol
Sometimes when it’s a closed off entity that owns an IP they are expected to be more protective. Craven estate probably has all the money in the world and could want to keep the legacy the way it is. More work they would have to do by bringing NOES to the event when in reality they probably just don’t care.

Not exactly the same mindset but I likely suspect Scott Cawthon didn’t fork over rights because he is EXTREMELY protective of FNaF. He doesn’t see dollar signs anymore if someone offers him a deal, he sees “Are the fans going to like this!” or “Will this be received well?” And that’s totally ok to be protective of whatever you created, they obviously know best. What he should do though is shove FNaF in Blumzone (if there is one) and see how reception goes. Another thing I see no one talk about is how he probably has some PTSD over Frightdomes FNaF house, it was pretty forgettable and wasn’t received well. It also only lasted at that event one year after Cawthon didn’t renew.

Sometimes when it’s a closed off entity that owns an IP they are expected to be more protective. Craven estate probably has all the money in the world and could want to keep the legacy the way it is. More work they would have to do by bringing NOES to the event when in reality they probably just don’t care.

Not exactly the same mindset but I likely suspect Scott Cawthon didn’t fork over rights because he is EXTREMELY protective of FNaF. He doesn’t see dollar signs anymore if someone offers him a deal, he sees “Are the fans going to like this!” or “Will this be received well?” And that’s totally ok to be protective of whatever you created, they obviously know best. What he should do though is shove FNaF in Blumzone (if there is one) and see how reception goes. Another thing I see no one talk about is how he probably has some PTSD over Frightdomes FNaF house, it was pretty forgettable and wasn’t received well. It also only lasted at that event one year after Cawthon didn’t renew.
This is admittedly the first I've heard of this Frightdome / Cawthon situation, but I think it's really interesting and could have a pretty decent impact on HHN and FNaF. If Frightdome didn't go well, I could see it souring how he views FNaF and Haunt events broadly. I think if anyone could get the property right, it'd be Universal Orlando, so hopefully there can be some movement here eventually.

This is admittedly the first I've heard of this Frightdome / Cawthon situation, but I think it's really interesting and could have a pretty decent impact on HHN and FNaF. If Frightdome didn't go well, I could see it souring how he views FNaF and Haunt events broadly. I think if anyone could get the property right, it'd be Universal Orlando, so hopefully there can be some movement here eventually.
Not many people have heard of it tbh.
It’s not horrible, but it’s not great either.

Reactions: londonwerecat
Would you say these rumors are coming fast?

And, furiously?
Discovery Shut Up GIF by Shark Week