Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 38 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I wonder, in terms of marketing appeal, if there might be a "conflict of interest" if three video games are tapped. FNAF kinda has transcendent appeal due to merchandise recognition, but I wonder if two post-apocalypse video games, no matter how truly different (TLOU & Fallout), would create some issue.

If Stranger Things enters the picture, it'd be interesting to think that three distinct streaming services could be heavily marketed at the event - I imagine all three would have to somewhat compete for resources, and I'm sure there's some corporate game of "our house better get as much love as theirs". If Stranger Things can force icons to take a back seat, I wonder what the logistics were in terms of the Peacock bar and placement of Chucky as what could be perceived by some (not me) as "direct competition".
Oh yeah, I just kinda threw that list together as a catch-all for IPs that would make sense at the event. I don't think we would see all 3 (or really, even more than 1 of them)

And I imagine ST is probably gone until Season 5 comes out!

Reactions: Ahmanet
I don't believe Universal asked that directly, because I'm sure they'd prefer HNN not share anything at all haha.

But yes, efforts have been made by HNN to not make some of the speculated names so obvious as a precaution, in case the property isn't as "locked in".

There were efforts by Universal to catch people leaking houses last year. Universal would prefer no leaks.

I hope a few years from now I can tell the stories I've heard about last year if people are still interested.

Would it be possible for Bourne to operate during HHN just as... itself? Just .. ya know. Bourne open during HHN.
While it would be a people eater, it would probably be more on-brand to run the Horror Makeup show. While the capacity is small, it probably takes 10-12 people to run at most, and all you have to do is add a few adult jokes, have shirtless Eddie stand up there as the assistant for 90% of the show for eye candy, rewrite a section or two with improv so it plays out slightly differently (they already do that anyway), or maybe use a different Universal Classic Monster each night, and repeat four times an event. You get the regulars to see it once and the people who aren't visiting the daytime.

Add in a subtitle like, "After Dark" so the regulars know it's different and you've got the corporate cost cutting dream people are saying Universal management is constantly vying for. ;D

/s kind of

While it would be a people eater, it would probably be more on-brand to run the Horror Makeup show. While the capacity is small, it probably takes 10-12 people to run at most, and all you have to do is add a few adult jokes, have shirtless Eddie stand up there as the assistant for 90% of the show for eye candy, rewrite a section or two with improv so it plays out slightly differently (they already do that anyway), or maybe use a different Universal Classic Monster each night, and repeat four times an event. You get the regulars to see it once and the people who aren't visiting the daytime.

Add in a subtitle like, "After Dark" so the regulars know it's different and you've got the corporate cost cutting dream people are saying Universal management is constantly vying for. ;D

/s kind of
I can’t believe they don’t open the Horror Make up show. It’s perfect for HHN and will at least eat some of the crowd.

Like you said, change it up a bit and viola. It’s short, run it twice an hour. Needs an update anyway. Make a blood splatter zone or something to make it more interactive.

Reactions: saint.piss
I can’t believe they don’t open the Horror Make up show. It’s perfect for HHN and will at least eat some of the crowd.

Like you said, change it up a bit and viola. It’s short, run it twice an hour. Needs an update anyway. Make a blood splatter zone or something to make it more interactive.
HHN needs a major humor show, preferably one that is improv-heavy. Fuel is absolutely sincere (one of the reasons I've never seen the appeal) and creates a big opening for something with the kind of silliness that defines many of the best houses in HHN history. Makeup would be good, but I'd hope for something bigger and custom-designed for the event in addition to that.

HHN needs a major humor show, preferably one that is improv-heavy. Fuel is absolutely sincere (one of the reasons I've never seen the appeal) and creates a big opening for something with the kind of silliness that defines many of the best houses in HHN history. Makeup would be good, but I'd hope for something bigger and custom-designed for the event in addition to that.
I think it was asked before what kind of show HHN could even support, and I think this would be the right call. Comedy feels right. Maybe something with Beetlejuice, maybe something else, but altogether a Dance show, a Lagoon water spectacular, a comedy show, and a few smaller street level offerings like the Vamp 85 "Shoot to Thrill" bit, a longer Death Eater stage presence, the M3gans, etc feels like a good mix to me.

I think it was asked before what kind of show HHN could even support, and I think this would be the right call. Comedy feels right. Maybe something with Beetlejuice, maybe something else, but altogether a Dance show, a Lagoon water spectacular, a comedy show, and a few smaller street level offerings like the Vamp 85 "Shoot to Thrill" bit, a longer Death Eater stage presence, the M3gans, etc feels like a good mix to me.

For the sake of discussion - if this were the game plan, they'd have to add little by little because of all the staffing issues in recent years. You don't want to get it right, and then overexpand immediately after and be back at square one.

In a perfect world... Nightmare Fuel, Lagoon Show, and maybe a small show somewhere (I don't care to discuss location anymore...lol), in addition to some reworked entrances/walkway areas, should be the initial go-to.

For the sake of discussion - if this were the game plan, they'd have to add little by little because of all the staffing issues in recent years. You don't want to get it right, and then overexpand immediately after and be back at square one.

In a perfect world... Nightmare Fuel, Lagoon Show, and maybe a small show somewhere (I don't care to discuss location anymore...lol), in addition to some reworked entrances/walkway areas, should be the initial go-to.
Well hopefully with DreamWorks opening, the parade buildings will have their normal entrances again (and Sprung 2 will lose its atrocious walk).

I mean, I was mostly just saying that last year's lineup + a comedy show would be pretty well-rounded. I don't think any of the ideas I threw out would add too much complexity from last year's event.

HNF / Dance Show - Already there.
Lagoon Show - Ops and Techs, but no performers.
Comedy Show - Only fully new offering, would need a full cast, management, stage etc.
M3Gans - Worked last year. Could've probably used a better stage set-up but worked fine as a flash mob too.
Death Eaters - I don't think expanding the show would take any more performers than they already had.
Vamp-style show - To an extent, these sorts of things already happen. A few specified dancer roles in a zone cast is about it. It'd take some coordination to get dancers each night if people call out, but I think it's definitely possible even with a tight staffing pool.

I mean, I was mostly just saying that last year's lineup + a comedy show would be pretty well-rounded. I don't think any of the ideas I threw out would add too much complexity from last year's event.

HNF / Dance Show - Already there.
Lagoon Show - Ops and Techs, but no performers.
Comedy Show - Only fully new offering, would need a full cast, management, stage etc.
M3Gans - Worked last year. Could've probably used a better stage set-up but worked fine as a flash mob too.
Death Eaters - I don't think expanding the show would take any more performers than they already had.
Vamp-style show - To an extent, these sorts of things already happen. A few specified dancer roles in a zone cast is about it. It'd take some coordination to get dancers each night if people call out, but I think it's definitely possible even with a tight staffing pool.

The problem is they already dealing with staffing issues with what they currently offer. So even "expanding a little" isn't exactly as easy as it seems.

There were efforts by Universal to catch people leaking houses last year. Universal would prefer no leaks.

I hope a few years from now I can tell the stories I've heard about last year if people are still interested.
I would 100000% be interested lol

And yes, I would much prefer to see a tweaked HMU run during the event, it's just a wonder how much of a difference it would truly make for capacity.

The problem is they already dealing with staffing issues with what they currently offer. So even "expanding a little" isn't exactly as easy as it seems.
To be fair, we are about to see a massive expansion next year with 3 new hotels and an entire theme park that requires a massive bus fleet, back-of-house expansions, let alone all the required TMs to operate the place... very worried to think that if Universal can't acquire an additional 100 or so TMs for HHN 'expansion'... what does that mean for the resort in 2025 when Universal claims they will need 10,000+ TMs?

Last edited:
To be fair, we are about to see a massive expansion next year with 3 new hotels and an entire theme park that requires a massive bus fleet, back-of-house expansions, let alone all the required TMs to operate the place... very worried to think that if Universal can't acquire an additional 100 or so TMs for HHN 'expansion'... what does that mean for the resort in 2025 when Universal claims they will need 10,000+ TMs?

It's not the finding people, it's keeping people. There's a good chunk of people who leave because they can't handle the grind of HHN.

Or in a perfect world, we could have a totally awesome reunion tour *plays air guitar*

If only... :confounded:

Last edited:
Reactions: SeventyOne
It's not the finding people, it's keeping people. There's a good chunk of people who leave because they can't handle the grind of HHN.
So what exactly can Universal do? Keep HHN limited to its current version and hope price increases alone will deter the need to increase capacity? Follow the Not-So-Scary route of limiting visitors to 1-night with expensive single night tickets?

Regarding entertainment, actors love being on stage no matter the time, obviously evident by the energy of some of Universal's shows (HHN and daytime shows). So staffing a show filled with actors wouldn't be too difficult for the 2-3 month grind of HHN. TM attendants at Universal's shows are also some of the greatest, so I can't imagine that will be difficult to staff either.

Reactions: Casper Gutman
So what exactly can Universal do? Keep HHN limited to its current version and hope price increases alone will deter the need to increase capacity? Follow the Not-So-Scary route of limiting visitors to 1-night with expensive single night tickets?

Regarding entertainment, actors love being on stage no matter the time, obviously evident by the energy of some of Universal's shows (HHN and daytime shows). So staffing a show filled with actors wouldn't be too difficult for the 2-3 month grind of HHN. TM attendants at Universal's shows are also some of the greatest, so I can't imagine that will be difficult to staff either.

Yeah that comment made me curious because I know my friend said all the main characters at Howl O Scream main show are the same from last year and I know from Christmas stuff SW does they seem to get the same people every year. So what is different about HHN that these other special events don't have? Is it just the additional nights? I am not sure how many nights Howl O Scream and SW Christmas runs vs HHN.

Yeah that comment made me curious because I know my friend said all the main characters at Howl O Scream main show are the same from last year and I know from Christmas stuff SW does they seem to get the same people every year. So what is different about HHN that these other special events don't have? Is it just the additional nights? I am not sure how many nights Howl O Scream and SW Christmas runs vs HHN.
Howl o Scream runs less nights and only to midnight, but their Christmas event (at least from the entertainment side) remained fully staffed for the 2-month run it had this past year and the cast of every show was just as energetic as they were on opening night.

Reactions: IzzyB
Howl o Scream runs less nights and only to midnight, but their Christmas event (at least from the entertainment side) remained fully staffed for the 2-month run it had this past year and the cast of every show was just as energetic as they were on opening night.
Yes, every time I went it was the same people. I know for many years the same singers and sax player were in the Shamu show. So I was curious what made HHN more difficult than those types of things.

Reactions: UniversalRBLX