Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 39 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So what exactly can Universal do? Keep HHN limited to its current version and hope price increases alone will deter the need to increase capacity? Follow the Not-So-Scary route of limiting visitors to 1-night with expensive single night tickets?

I'm just saying they should slowly bump other stuff to ensure they can handle it when there are already ongoing issues of staffing things. Go from 0-5 instead of cranking it to 10. Things are getting better, but I'm just cautious about adding all willy-nilly.

Regarding entertainment, actors love being on stage no matter the time, obviously evident by the energy of some of Universal's shows (HHN and daytime shows). So staffing a show filled with actors wouldn't be too difficult for the 2-3 month grind of HHN. TM attendants at Universal's shows are also some of the greatest, so I can't imagine that will be difficult to staff either.

This is sorta dismissive - as it's not theoretical, but a reality. Admittedly, I can't tell you the percentage breakdown of where the staffing issues lie - but there is one. This isn't a new fact as we've talked about this for several years now, especially in regards to bringing in the 11th house.

Yeah that comment made me curious because I know my friend said all the main characters at Howl O Scream main show are the same from last year and I know from Christmas stuff SW does they seem to get the same people every year. So what is different about HHN that these other special events don't have? Is it just the additional nights? I am not sure how many nights Howl O Scream and SW Christmas runs vs HHN.

I don't want to sit here and say it's this one reason - but a big one is scareactors getting cast and not realizing the grind.

For example, if you get cast in a house - you're in a repetitive role for 12 hours out of your night (that includes getting ready and closing time). Some people love it. For others, they don't. It's not for everyone. You need a real passion for haunting.

There are absolutely veterans who thrive in that situation, which is why you see familiar faces - but a lot of newer people don't realize the physicality and toll certain roles can take. Throw in the fact that Universal looks for body requirements, especially for the IP houses - it adds a tougher wrinkle to casting and replacing.

But the grind can apply to other non-acting roles.

Last edited:
I think if Crystal Lake is a hit and/or actually gets released without any legal issues, it's a pretty safe bet (not including the benefit of franchise potential).

What I'd really like to see is the Music Plaza queue moved and make that area the hub for a lot of the specialty food booths with some additional seating- maybe move that part of the queue to the other side of SS21 somehow, or use that other half as a food expo. As it's been mentioned, Universal renting out soundstages costs $$$ so I'm not sure it's a realistic solution, but it might make sense with the event seeming to take a big interest in expanding food offerings recently.

I just think re-allocating existing ideas and assets will do better for the crowds than adding another show, at least right now. I feel like we've seen staffing challenges at least the last 2 years, and with needing to staff Epic in the future, I think that takes priority over staffing HHN when it's been proven that they can make it work without.

I'm just saying they should slowly bump other stuff to ensure they can handle it when there are already ongoing issues of staffing things. Go from 0-5 instead of cranking it to 10. Things are getting better, but I'm just cautious about adding all willy-nilly.

This is sorta dismissive - as it's not theoretical, but a reality. Admittedly, I can't tell you the percentage breakdown of where the staffing issues lie - but there is one. This isn't a new fact as we've talked about this for several years now, especially in regards to bringing in the 11th house.

I don't want to sit here and say it's this one reason - but a big one is scareactors getting cast and not realizing the grind.

For example, if you get cast in a house - you're in a repetitive role for 12 hours out of your night (that includes getting ready and closing time). Some people love it. For others, they don't. It's not for everyone. You need a real passion for haunting.

There are absolutely veterans who thrive in that situation, which is why you see familiar faces - but a lot of newer people don't realize the physicality and toll certain roles can take. Throw in the fact that Universal looks for body requirements, especially for the IP houses - it adds a tougher wrinkle to casting and replacing.

That makes sense it is on the scare actor side. I know with the backstage tour of Howl O Scream I went on as an AP holder, the makeup sessions seem insane and they were there before 3 PM as that is when our tour was getting makeup on. They were also well into their makeup job. So sitting for that and then the amount of screaming they have to do nightly along with other stuff. I can see that. I more saw it in entertainment and not scare actors so it sounds like it is more on that side.

Howl O Scream opening in Orlando I am sure didn't help their staffing issues as now two parks are pulling from the same pool of people.

That makes sense it is on the scare actor side. I know with the backstage tour of Howl O Scream I went on as an AP holder, the makeup sessions seem insane and they were there before 3 PM as that is when our tour was getting makeup on. They were also well into their makeup job. So sitting for that and then the amount of screaming they have to do nightly along with other stuff. I can see that. I more saw it in entertainment and not scare actors so it sounds like it is more on that side.

Howl O Scream opening in Orlando I am sure didn't help their staffing issues as now two parks are pulling from the same pool of people.

Totally - and since this is a seasonal event, a decent portion of actors are here as a secondary job. Just brutal hours if that's their scenario.

I think if Crystal Lake is a hit and/or actually gets released without any legal issues, it's a pretty safe bet (not including the benefit of franchise potential).

What I'd really like to see is the Music Plaza queue moved and make that area the hub for a lot of the specialty food booths with some additional seating- maybe move that part of the queue to the other side of SS21 somehow, or use that other half as a food expo. As it's been mentioned, Universal renting out soundstages costs $$$ so I'm not sure it's a realistic solution, but it might make sense with the event seeming to take a big interest in expanding food offerings recently.

I just think re-allocating existing ideas and assets will do better for the crowds than adding another show, at least right now. I feel like we've seen staffing challenges at least the last 2 years, and with needing to staff Epic in the future, I think that takes priority over staffing HHN when it's been proven that they can make it work without.
I would love to see Music Plaza used for something like this, or even with a show on the stage as well. I just have no clue where they would put that queue.

Reactions: Ahmanet

I would really miss walking on that soft "grass" though.

Yes please I couldn’t sit anywhere I had to sit on the floor by transformers to eat my food

I understand the need to be cautious about additional entertainment and the strain it can cause, I was simply pointing out potential solutions to an issue that affects the guest experience.

There is a staffing issue, I've been pretty clear with my complaints regarding it, but I also believe the event has specific issues with staffing certain positions, and I don't think entertainment is one. Orlando has a heck of a pool of talented artists waiting to be called upon.

(Not trying to be dismissive of Universal or simply stating this to pit Halloween events against each other) SeaWorld had about 3-4 dancers, along with specialized entertainers/street actors at 3 different themed bars, which excludes the 2 stage shows offered. And about 2 weeks later after the event ends, they are running 3 holiday-themed stage shows backed by numerous street acts. I'm just trying to wrap my head around what makes Universal different.

This is the reason why I've been pushing for more entertainment at the event, not houses as some mention. Last two weekends saw an emergence of empty boo holes in some houses, unfortunately. Doing the same thing over and over again in a house is far different than doing things a few times a night with set showtimes.

Maybe I wasn't clear, but the event has hit a "limit" as to how long it could theoretically run and the event needs to "beef up" capacity within that timeframe, not extend the event. It seems like the Labor Day-Halloween Weekend is their limit, anything beyond that is begging for additional staffing or a change to how actors are treated.

I agree that we're probably capped out on number of nights for the event and number of houses. I wonder how feasible it would be to add a third cast to cut back on hours needed in the park - something like this so you have each cast working 3-4 days per weekend:

Wednesday - A/B
Thursday - B/C
Friday - C/A
Saturday - A/B
Sunday - B/C

Could potentially cut down on burnout, but of course it increases your casting by almost a third.

Also, from an infrastructure standpoint - maybe we need to be thinking about how to create better break spaces for the actors so they can get good food and rest between sets.

Could any recent scare zones get spun off into a house this year ?

Sweet Revenge, Jungle of Doom and even the beloved Seek and Destroy have potential to me
Sweet Revenge has potential. A “nightmare version” of a Chocolate Factory.

JoD was a spinoff from a house, so I doubt they’d flip back.

Seek and Destroy… *shudders*

Regarding cast burn-out, when I was scaring a decade ago the general turnover average was 20%. This occurred even in “easy” houses with good morale. It’s a long, life happens, people get tired. Tougher houses and roles can have turnover as high as 40%. Some roles literally have required new performers every night the duration of the run because so few people last any entire night there.

HHN is a second job for most of the performers. The longer the nights, the more the nights, the harder it gets to cast.

Regarding cast burn-out, when I was scaring a decade ago the general turnover average was 20%. This occurred even in “easy” houses with good morale. It’s a long, life happens, people get tired. Tougher houses and roles can have turnover as high as 40%. Some roles literally have required new performers every night the duration of the run because so few people last any entire night there.

HHN is a second job for most of the performers. The longer the nights, the more the nights, the harder it gets to cast.
Adding to this, speaking from at least 13 years of experience, every year there are new folks who discover in many ways the job of a Haunt Actor isn't easy. Sometimes it's due to a role and/or costume making it hard (e.g. Depth of Fear's Mouth-Brooders), other times it's due to unruly guests, the list goes on and on. And with the number of nights HHN runs, that is quite the gauntlet to undergo to the Nth degree, even for seasoned vets.

Yes, it can be a lot of fun, I wouldn't still be doing this if I didn't enjoy it. But there are folks who find out the hard way it's just not for them.

Heh, anyone know what's up with the 'Monster Make-Over , Become the Monster' coming soon marquee at the Hollywood Horror show? Orlando Informer posted some photos just now, but no comment.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
Obviously not for HHN, but I used to be a scare actor at a very popular haunt here in PA. Being a scare actor is no joke.

Standing/running around for upwards of 10 hours in hot weather/cold weather/etc. It's fun, but is is absolutely not for everyone.

So have we all settled in agreement that HHN is finally creeping into August?

I feel like it's an inevitability. Mickey's Not-So-Scary started last year before mid-August, and at least to me, it makes sense to NOT open over a holiday weekend when the crowds will be there for opening anyways- the only counter to that, I think, is fears of cast/TM burnout and trying to avoid that.

I feel like it's an inevitability. Mickey's Not-So-Scary started last year before mid-August, and at least to me, it makes sense to NOT open over a holiday weekend when the crowds will be there for opening anyways- the only counter to that, I think, is fears of cast/TM burnout and trying to avoid that.
I mean the thing about that is that an 8/30 opening would still be a Labor Day opening lol

Obviously not for HHN, but I used to be a scare actor at a very popular haunt here in PA. Being a scare actor is no joke.

Standing/running around for upwards of 10 hours in hot weather/cold weather/etc. It's fun, but is is absolutely not for everyone.

Also was a scare actor in at a place in upstate NY, It was rough, but dealing with disrespectful guests was the hardest part.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95