Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 40 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Adding to this, speaking from at least 13 years of experience, every year there are new folks who discover in many ways the job of a Haunt Actor isn't easy. Sometimes it's due to a role and/or costume making it hard (e.g. Depth of Fear's Mouth-Brooders), other times it's due to unruly guests, the list goes on and on. And with the number of nights HHN runs, that is quite the gauntlet to undergo to the Nth degree, even for seasoned vets.

Yes, it can be a lot of fun, I wouldn't still be doing this if I didn't enjoy it. But there are folks who find out the hard way it's just not for them.
I'm not a scareactor, but I know a lot of current and former scareactors.

Every single one of them that returns does it out of sheer passion and love for the season, because it's not for the pay or benefits. Many of them have RSI (repetitive strain injuries) due to the physical nature of the job. The people who wield chainsaws have what's colloquially know as "saw claw," which is a condition where their hand is frozen into a trigger shape. Some people at Knott's who do sliding have no cartilage left in their knees. People have been kicked in the genitals, punched in the face, and in a severe case, scarred by an object thrown at them. And that's just the few people I know. It's why people don't last, or can't last. You're not Mickey giving hugs to kids; you're a physical prop/animatronic dealing with a lot of hostility, and in that sense, you're not even seen as human by too much of the general public. They all love it, but they've never once told me it was easy.

The vast majority of scareactors with any sort of physical role sacrifice their physical and mental wellbeing to entertain us and I will without hesitation buy dinner and a drink for any one that I meet.

Hello everyone, taking a queue from HHN management last year, I am going to drop a fake clue in this thread a few times. I'm going to say there's a haunt preview coming to CityWalk based on insider info. I'll bring this up again in a few weeks. For everyone reading this, you are in the know.
Can't wait to forget about this and then get excited when I see it again

Hello everyone, taking a queue from HHN management last year, I am going to drop a fake clue in this thread a few times. I'm going to say there's a haunt preview coming to CityWalk based on insider info. I'll bring this up again in a few weeks. For everyone reading this, you are in the know.
Call me crazy, but I think an HHN Unleashed will do far better than an escape room at CityWalk

Regarding cast burn-out, when I was scaring a decade ago the general turnover average was 20%. This occurred even in “easy” houses with good morale. It’s a long, life happens, people get tired. Tougher houses and roles can have turnover as high as 40%. Some roles literally have required new performers every night the duration of the run because so few people last any entire night there.

HHN is a second job for most of the performers. The longer the nights, the more the nights, the harder it gets to cast.

I'm intrigued. Examples of "easy" houses and examples of "tough" houses plz? What makes an easy and tough house?

(I'm guessing Jaws queue was pretty tough.)

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
Well, I guess I'll be the one to say it. Not necessarily for this year, but...

Sleep Token.

MOVING ON

Anyone else see the thread for the Ecto 1 coming to Uni? Makes me wonder if it could be HHN related?

Well, I guess I'll be the one to say it. Not necessarily for this year, but...

Sleep Token.

MOVING ON

Anyone else see the thread for the Ecto 1 coming to Uni? Makes me wonder if it could be HHN related?
I did. I think it’s mainly for something else personally. Remember that rumor last year about some pop-culture event happening in the Spring-ish? I think it’s for that, but who said it can’t be for both that and HHN? That’s assuming, of course, said event is happening.

I did. I think it’s mainly for something else personally. Remember that rumor last year about some pop-culture event happening in the Spring-ish? I think it’s for that, but who said it can’t be for both that and HHN? That’s assuming, of course, said event is happening.
I do remember reading something about an event possibly celebrating 'classic ' universal... like bringing back the bttf overlay for simpsons

• Wow
Reactions: Ahmanet
I'm intrigued. Examples of "easy" houses and examples of "tough" houses plz? What makes an easy and tough house?

(I'm guessing Jaws queue was pretty tough.)
It’s less about the location (though that plays a part) and more about the costumes. Depths of Fear was an incredibly tough house while Havoc was an incredibly easy one while being in the same location. The water zombies in TWD were tough scares despite an easy house. The Catacombs caused some issues for certain people because the masks didn’t breathe at all. Bloodengutz was one of the toughest houses they’ve done because it was outside with extremely large and thick costumes.

And sometimes a cast just vibes immediately and can keep turnover low despite difficulty just because of morale. It really just depends.

HNF includes pyro, magic, and dancing while the lagoon show has the fountain and laser technology making it hard for me to think of what could make any new show unique to the rest of the lineup, which makes me wonder what could be included in a new show that would interest guest to want to see both

The question continues to be WHAT can be placed there. Not where. I agree they need more shows, but what concepts bring in crowds
While I agree with your basic point -- it's a lot easier to say "create a new show" than actually create a new show that connects with an audience -- I'm not sure I agree another sexy people dancing troupe is a non-starter. This is the same event that had houses based on Evil Dead and its pastiche Cabin in the Woods in the same year. I think if HNF continued toward the sexy/big explosions vibe, another troupe could do something maybe a little more slow and gothic or comedy oriented and both might succeed. HNF such a success I'd be willing to risk a trial run of another dance show.

Also, not shows per se, but I think meet and greets are an untapped option -- they're what keep the lines down at MNSSHP. Much cheaper to run than a show, not to everyone's tastes, but pulls enough of the crowd to make a dent.

Also, not shows per se, but I think meet and greets are an untapped option -- they're what keep the lines down at MNSSHP. Much cheaper to run than a show, not to everyone's tastes, but pulls enough of the crowd to make a dent.
This is something I would love to see HHN tap into. There was always lines to take pics with the Klowns in 2019 outside of the house. I assume David S Pumpkins was popular?

Looking back and wanted to revisit two comments that I'm surprised we haven't continued off of:
I’m in wait and see mode due to the rumored changes/additions of new buildings for HHN.
So this comment along with the two parade buildings being the only locations to not receive permits are leading me to believe we won't see them returning this year. That leaves open speculation for possibly two new house locations.

I did hear a rumor… just not interested in air guitar…
And this! Not entirely sure what Legacy is getting at here, but let's see if we can possibly find out through some discussion!

My current interpretation is that this could be hinting at the return of a Bill & Ted-esque show, just not starring our most excellent duo? Maybe a Beetlejuice show?

Looking back and wanted to revisit two comments that I'm surprised we haven't continued off of:

So this comment along with the two parade buildings being the only locations to not receive permits are leading me to believe we won't see them returning this year. That leaves open speculation for possibly two new house locations.

And this! Not entirely sure what Legacy is getting at here, but let's see if we can possibly find out through some discussion!

My current interpretation is that this could be hinting at the return of a Bill & Ted-esque show, just not starring our most excellent duo? Maybe a Beetlejuice show?
I took legacy’s comment to mean that he’s heard rumors about B&T’s return he just personally doesn’t care about them.

B-108's permit does not usually come out until later because of Mardi Gras. Us not getting B-79 yet is weird though since most of the time that's one of the first ones. It could have to do with a recent alteration going on in there (idk if that would affect it being used for a house).
Also, if the rumors of the FFL stage show going away, they could be using Animal Actors to maybe do a show that has less stunts (since iirc the Animal Actors stage isn't built for pyro and explosions and such).

Last edited:
This is something I would love to see HHN tap into. There was always lines to take pics with the Klowns in 2019 outside of the house. I assume David S Pumpkins was popular?

I saw him meandering through the crowd at the Peacock Bar last year, but not a ton of people taking photos. It's possible that scheduling meet and greets could pull some people out of lines, but I don't think it'll make a huge difference.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
I think it more likely we see B&T return in something else than a B&T-esque show.
It'll be the new trend... starting with last year's "Dueling Dragons" house. They theme a house on something defunct from Universal's past! So bring on "Bill & Ted's Excellent Halloween Adventure" with a Bogus Journey waittime of eternity!

Personally, I look forward to The JAWS Ride house! Or if they stick with Lost Continent's demise, "Poseidon's Fury" is a fresh wound waiting to open up! Or Sinbad & bring back Forsaken's tilted shipwreck!