Harry Potter and the Cursed Child | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I finally saw both parts of this yesterday (18 months after buying the tickets!!) and it was simply phenomenal. Absolutely the best play I've ever seen performed in London's West End.

Without going into spoiler territory, it was a lot funnier and darker than I imagined it would be (i do realise those points seem contradictory!). I am so thankful that I went in knowing NOTHING about the play at all, as I can appreciate that certain plot points might not come across as well as the way they are executed. There were things I saw with my own eyes that I still cannot believe were performed in 'real-life', the visual effects were literally unlike anything I have ever seen in a theatre before. It was like actually watching a CGI laden film on a screen at times, but all created physically... really hard to describe without going into details! [HASHTAG]#keepthesecrets[/HASHTAG]

From an emotional point of view, there were times when people in the audience were cheering loudly and times they were openly weeping. Honestly guys, this is a masterpiece of live theatre and I cannot recommend it enough. I would honestly sit and watch all 5 hours of it again today if I could!

Last edited:
Reactions: Felipe and Mad Dog
I finally saw both parts of this yesterday (18 months after buying the tickets!!) and it was simply phenomenal. Absolutely the best play I've ever seen performed in London's West End.

Without going into spoiler territory, it was a lot funnier and darker than I imagined it would be (i do realise those points seem contradictory!). I am so thankful that I went in knowing NOTHING about the play at all, as I can appreciate that certain plot points might not come across as well as the way they are executed. There were things I saw with my own eyes that I still cannot believe were performed in 'real-life', the visual effects were literally unlike anything I have ever seen in a theatre before. It was like actually watching a CGI laden film on a screen at times, but all created physically... really hard to describe without going into details! [HASHTAG]#keepthesecrets[/HASHTAG]

From an emotional point of view, there were tines when people in the audience were cheering loudly and times they were openly weeping. Honestly guys, this is a masterpiece of live theatre and I cannot recommend it enough. I would honestly sit and watch all 5 hours of it again today if I could!
They did a review of it in the Pgh Post Gazette a couple of weeks ago. The reviewer said it was fantastic and one of his most enjoyable theatrical experiences. He was gushing all over it, and loved the two day viewing concept.

The critical response to this has been great. I still feel incredibly conflicted about the material. Everything I've read has basically been gushing over how the sets and special effects are and how you have to be there to understand it.
But nothing I have read has convinced me that the plot is redeemable. It's still a story line that I cannot get behind in terms of the original canon. With that being said, I understand it as a piece of theater and at that, I'm sure it's an excellent show. I don't see myself viewing it simply because I have felt more purist in this than any other issue on Potter. If a Potterhead who has enjoyed it could humor me, does the plot upset you in any way? Do you feel they cheated the original series? Honest questions from a fan who loved the series and had planned to gush over this as well...
I'm certainly glad others are enjoying it - it bodes well for the series longevity and how ingrained it can become in pop culture. But personally I hope we don't move forward with anything based on the Cursed Child story in the future.

Reactions: Felipe
The critical response to this has been great. I still feel incredibly conflicted about the material. Everything I've read has basically been gushing over how the sets and special effects are and how you have to be there to understand it.
But nothing I have read has convinced me that the plot is redeemable. It's still a story line that I cannot get behind in terms of the original canon. With that being said, I understand it as a piece of theater and at that, I'm sure it's an excellent show. I don't see myself viewing it simply because I have felt more purist in this than any other issue on Potter. If a Potterhead who has enjoyed it could humor me, does the plot upset you in any way? Do you feel they cheated the original series? Honest questions from a fan who loved the series and had planned to gush over this as well...
I'm certainly glad others are enjoying it - it bodes well for the series longevity and how ingrained it can become in pop culture. But personally I hope we don't move forward with anything based on the Cursed Child story in the future.
The reviewer from the Post Gazette pointed out that he wasn't overly impressed when he read the script. But he said it translated into a play superbly. He really loved the play itself.

Right and I understand that - I'm a student of theater myself. Script doesn't make or break a show. However, as a Potter fan it feels completely cheap and that's why even as a fan of theater, I can't bring myself to even watch this show or reread the script. It just feels uncomfortable labeling it with the same series that was such a huge part of my childhood.

Bringing this thread back to life now that the play has opened on Broadway and I'm going to see it soon!

I will say, I read the script book and wasn't happy with it... I completely agree that some plot points feel like they're outright fan-fiction... but I am still pretty excited and have high hopes for the play. I think it will be an amazing show, and hopefully the plot will be less noticeably egregious when the focus is more on the pizzazz from the visuals and the emotion of the performances. Different mediums work in different ways, and even looking at the original books vs. movies, we could argue that some movies got a lot of events and characters wrong / watered down / or even built up in ways that wasn't true to the books. For Harry Potter, there's nothing better than reading the original books, and there never will be. I think for this new medium, a lot of the play will rest on the performance, the special effects, and the direction. The performance aspect was not included in the book, so that's certainly an improvement to expect for the overall product on stage. It's also reassuring that the play has won a ton of awards and the reviews have been pretty fantastic. I think looking at the show overall, it will be successful and enjoyable, even if the script was not that great. I can't wait to check it out soon!!!

Reactions: amityboattours
Bringing this thread back to life now that the play has opened on Broadway and I'm going to see it soon!

I will say, I read the script book and wasn't happy with it... I completely agree that some plot points feel like they're outright fan-fiction... but I am still pretty excited and have high hopes for the play. I think it will be an amazing show, and hopefully the plot will be less noticeably egregious when the focus is more on the pizzazz from the visuals and the emotion of the performances. Different mediums work in different ways, and even looking at the original books vs. movies, we could argue that some movies got a lot of events and characters wrong / watered down / or even built up in ways that wasn't true to the books. For Harry Potter, there's nothing better than reading the original books, and there never will be. I think for this new medium, a lot of the play will rest on the performance, the special effects, and the direction. The performance aspect was not included in the book, so that's certainly an improvement to expect for the overall product on stage. It's also reassuring that the play has won a ton of awards and the reviews have been pretty fantastic. I think looking at the show overall, it will be successful and enjoyable, even if the script was not that great. I can't wait to check it out soon!!!
I saw that you noticed my posts from last year. The Post Gazette reviewer, who is pretty tough usually, had the same concern as you with the script itself, but it didn't hurt the play.

After LotT WB turned The Hobbit, a short book, into three movies. Rumor is WB wants to turn this play into 3 movies.

Daniel Radcliffe says he does not want to go near Harry Potter again for 20 years. By the time Fantastic Beasts finished out and they started this it would be at 20 years so he might be part of it. Rupert Grint would probably be easy to get but Emma Watson maybe not.

After LotT WB turned The Hobbit, a short book, into three movies. Rumor is WB wants to turn this play into 3 movies.

Daniel Radcliffe says he does not want to go near Harry Potter again for 20 years. By the time Fantastic Beasts finished out and they started this it would be at 20 years so he might be part of it. Rupert Grint would probably be easy to get but Emma Watson maybe not.

I saw the other thread discussing that, but I don't really care for a Cursed Child movie adaptation. If anything, film the show and release that in a few years.

PS: If they film it, it better be with this cast (the original London cast).

PPS: I'm even more excited for it because I'm seeing the original cast. That's super special.

I don't know if WB wants to turn this play into three movies, but I should at least highlight why their decision to turn The Hobbit into three movies was more complicated than that. This is worth the full watch through....

(this also defines why LtoR should be a theme park land)

Trust me, it isn't like he's giving you NPR videos of Run the Jewels on Stereo. ;):tease:

Oh, he has. An many others. It's a running gag we have because I always watch the videos he sends me but HE NEVER WATCHES THE VIDEOS I SEND HIM.

By the way, I should mention and thank @Joe, because it was thanks to him that I got my tickets for Cursed Child for next month. :heart:

Oh, he has. An many others. It's a running gag we have because I always watch the videos he sends me but HE NEVER WATCHES THE VIDEOS I SEND HIM.

By the way, I should mention and thank @Joe, because it was thanks to him that I got my tickets for Cursed Child for next month. :heart:

He convinced me to push seeing Cirque, so yeah, you and I are in the same boat in similar ways.

That said, Cursed Child..I don't think that movie rumor has real merit.