Harry Potter and the Cursed Child | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Oddly enough, the SpongeBob musical led the nominations of any production this year. It's high time for Universal to send Blue Men Group out to the curb.

I've seen BMG twice, and would happily see it a third time. I have zero interest in seeing the SpongeBob musical, lol. Personal preference, of course.
Maybe they could do an abridged version inside the park (Barney theater?), but even then it would be several years from now, after the Broadway run and possible national tour. If ever at all.

I just saw Spongebob this weekend and it was PHENOMENAL. I loved it so much and it was my favorite of the 5 shows I checked out (Spongebob, Mean Girls, Frozen, Waitress, and Summer: The Donna Summer Musical).

I definitely want to see Cursed Child but tickets are impossible right now. My friends saw it and said the magic is incredible.

I just saw Spongebob this weekend and it was PHENOMENAL. I loved it so much and it was my favorite of the 5 shows I checked out (Spongebob, Mean Girls, Frozen, Waitress, and Summer: The Donna Summer Musical).

I definitely want to see Cursed Child but tickets are impossible right now. My friends saw it and said the magic is incredible.

Are you a fan of the TV show or would you say it is also that enjoyable to a non-fan audience? I have this aversion to SpongeBob that's hard to overcome, haha... but I just checked out a few videos and the roster of musicians behind it is pretty impressive, not to mention the cast looks like a really talented group.

I hear you on the tickets to Cursed Child. Prices are not cheap, and those that are go fast. I'm glad they have the Friday Forty, but chances of winning lotteries is unpredictable. You never know, tho... you might get lucky!

Really surprised Cursed Child is boasting the most Tony noms for a play, when Angels in America has 11 nominations. :lol:

Didn’t realize there was a thread for this! I saw the show a month ago (more info on snagging those tickets at the end of this post) and absolutely adored it.

Yes, the book has major problems. Some of it is absolutely glorified fan fiction and there are some inconsistentcies with the original lore (like how time turners work?). But what does work, works extremely well. It’s probably the best lighting design I will ever see in my career. The scenic and costume designs are wonderful. It garnered a Tony nom for choreography as a play? (And I agree??) Imogen Heap’s score gives me VERY mixed feelings, but overall, I speak very highly of it and love the unique voice and sound it gives this saga of the Wizarding World. The renovation of the theatre is absolutely breathtaking and there’s not a bad seat in the house (Speaking as someone who sat orch Z, last 2 seats on the right, under a big overhang. I couldn’t see the proscenium or the house banners, but never missed a moment of action.) And the acting makes up for a weak book in many aspects. The London cast is outstanding and much deserve their critical success (I wouldn’t mind if some of the new American cast was replaced lol).

And above all, the illusions. Gorgeous, flawless, and everything you want in a Harry Potter show. As a theatre designer, I was blown away and so happy my roommates saw the production too so we could talk at length trying to figure out how they did everything. :lol:

And in the end, it’s just so great to see a family drama in the framework of the Wizarding World. Seeing what comes of Harry and his family is really touching and very much sets it apart from the rest of the series. Cursed Child, in my mind, deserves to be appreciated as its own entity.

Oh! Getting tickets! So going online when they release a new block of tickets is one (infuriating) way to get tickets. Back when they first released tickets for the Broadway production, I was able to snag tickets for Sept. 2018 for $40/part. BUT, about a month ago, I heard the best availability was at the box office, so I swung by one day, asked about the best way to get cheap tickets, and the man asked “what days work for you this week?” and I got $40/part tickets for my mom and I for a few days later. I’ll have to double check if it’s still that easy as this was back in March, but regardless it’s still better than fighting with Ticketmaster!

Are you a fan of the TV show or would you say it is also that enjoyable to a non-fan audience? I have this aversion to SpongeBob that's hard to overcome, haha... but I just checked out a few videos and the roster of musicians behind it is pretty impressive, not to mention the cast looks like a really talented group.

I second the opinion that Spongebob is way better than it has any business being. :lol: I know there are people that definitely enjoyed the musical without knowing the tv show (I mean, it has 12 Tony noms and you know the voters don’t know jack about Spongebob lol) but I grew up with the show, so I can’t give a first hand opinion. As someone who’s not a Spongebob super-fan (and initially thought the idea of a musical was blasphemous), I enjoyed the musical much more than the tv show.

The music is really fun, the design and direction are outstanding, and the cast is perfect. Ethan Slater has been my front runner for the Leading Actor Tony for months. The book isn’t the best part (much like Cursed Child lol), but I was having so much fun, I didn’t care.

Wow, apologies for this behemoth post :lol: My worlds are colliding and I got excited

Last edited:
Really surprised Cursed Child is boasting the most Tony noms for a play, when Angels in America has 11 nominations. :lol:

Didn’t realize there was a thread for this! I saw the show a month ago (more info on snagging those tickets at the end of this post) and absolutely adored it.

Yes, the book has major problems. Some of it is absolutely glorified fan fiction and there are some inconsistentcies with the original lore (like how time turners work?). But what does work, works extremely well. It’s probably the best lighting design I will ever see in my career. The scenic and costume designs are wonderful. It garnered a Tony nom for choreography as a play? (And I agree??) Imogen Heap’s score gives me VERY mixed feelings, but overall, I speak very highly of it and love the unique voice and sound it gives this saga of the Wizarding World. The renovation of the theatre is absolutely breathtaking and there’s not a bad seat in the house (Speaking as someone who sat orch Z, last 2 seats on the right, under a big overhang. I couldn’t see the proscenium or the house banners, but never missed a moment of action.) And the acting makes up for a weak book in many aspects. The London cast is outstanding and much deserve their critical success (I wouldn’t mind if some of the new American cast was replaced lol).

And above all, the illusions. Gorgeous, flawless, and everything you want in a Harry Potter show. As a theatre designer, I was blown away and so happy my roommates saw the production too so we could talk at length trying to figure out how they did everything. :lol:

And in the end, it’s just so great to see a family drama in the framework of the Wizarding World. Seeing what comes of Harry and his family is really touching and very much sets it apart from the rest of the series. Cursed Child, in my mind, deserves to be appreciated as its own entity.

Oh! Getting tickets! So going online when they release a new block of tickets is one (infuriating) way to get tickets. Back when they first released tickets for the Broadway production, I was able to snag tickets for Sept. 2018 for $40/part. BUT, about a month ago, I heard the best availability was at the box office, so I swung by one day, asked about the best way to get cheap tickets, and the man asked “what days work for you this week?” and I got $40/part tickets for my mom and I for a few days later. I’ll have to double check if it’s still that easy as this was back in March, but regardless it’s still better than fighting with Ticketmaster!

I second the opinion that Spongebob is way better than it has any business being. :lol: I know there are people that definitely enjoyed the musical without knowing the tv show (I mean, it has 12 Tony noms and you know the voters don’t know jack about Spongebob lol) but I grew up with the show, so I can’t give a first hand opinion. As someone who’s not a Spongebob super-fan (and initially thought the idea of a musical was blasphemous), I enjoyed the musical much more than the tv show.

The music is really fun, the design and direction are outstanding, and the cast is perfect. Ethan Slater has been my front runner for the Leading Actor Tony for months. The book isn’t the best part (much like Cursed Child lol), but I was having so much fun, I didn’t care.

Wow, apologies for this behemoth post :lol: My worlds are colliding and I got excited
I believe they were referring to 'all' award nominations, of which Tony's are one of those included...

Awesome tip! They are definitely releasing tickets in waves. A couple of weeks ago I saw them release more tickets for the same dates I'm going (for which I bought tickets months ago). Also, I'm glad they're at least offering a number of tickets at low prices, which you would not often see on Broadway for a production of this magnitude.

Nonsense! Thanks so much for all the info and insight :cheers:

I'm curious to find out what, if any, changes there's been from the book as released to the play as it is today... and if there's any differences between the productions in London and Broadway... but I'll probably look into that after actually seeing the show, haha.

I hear you on the tickets to Cursed Child. Prices are not cheap, and those that are go fast. I'm glad they have the Friday Forty, but chances of winning lotteries is unpredictable. You never know, tho... you might get lucky!

I did enjoy the TV show years ago so there was a bit of nostalgia involved for me and I really enjoyed the first movie and the second movie less so. But it was just my overall fave as far as some of the songs, sets, choreography, and humor. I just thought it had it all. And the best vocal I heard all week amongst all the shows was actually the girl who played Pearl. She took us to church.

Strong night for Cursed Child at the Tony Awards. That says a lot about the quality of the play and the continued strength of the Potter IP.

Cursed Child reminds me a lot of Avatar in that the story sucks, but the visual effects are done so well that audiences still seem to be enjoying it. The book was bloody awful, and yet, there were moments as I was reading which made me very curious to see how they were going to pull it off on stage.

Reactions: Frogki
To anyone who has seen the play...are there any loud explosions/effects? I have sensitive hearing, so for a point of comparison, I wear earplugs during Waterworld and Sinbad when I see them.

I’m still going to see it regardless, I would just like to prepare myself, so if you could DM me (spoilers okay) if there are a few moments that are loud, I’d really appreciate it!

To anyone who has seen the play...are there any loud explosions/effects? I have sensitive hearing, so for a point of comparison, I wear earplugs during Waterworld and Sinbad when I see them.

I’m still going to see it regardless, I would just like to prepare myself, so if you could DM me (spoilers okay) if there are a few moments that are loud, I’d really appreciate it!
From having seen the London production, yes, there are definitely times where the music and effects are cranked up for dramatic effect.

Reactions: Teebin
Cursed Child is now seemingly Canon.

Additionally, all of the various locations currently playing Cursed Child, have gotten changes to branding and symbols, to match the books and films. This comes from recent rumors that WB has now gained ownership of the story, and stage play.