Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts | Page 38 | Inside Universal Forums

Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I waited over 3 hours on openning and thought it was worth the hype. The experience felt seamless and thrilling. One negative aspect that I had was that because we were in the single rider line I missed everything from the queue and was a little confused about the story. Namely Bill and the Goblin. When I reride next week,
I think I will get a better grasp.

There is a short scene with Bill an the goblin before you get on the elevators but I couldn't hear what they said over the talking of guests. I got out of it they are taking you on a tour of the Gringotts vaults.

I believe the story is that we are opening an account at gringott's and the goblin is going to take us down to our vault and bill shows up and tags along.

I believe the story is that we are opening an account at gringott's and the goblin is going to take us down to our vault and bill shows up and tags along.

That sounds better, just another thing ruined by the overcrowding. I'm so dying to experience it again on better terms.

The wait has been fluctuating from 120 to 180 minutes this evening. Not bad for its first Saturday.

Have there been any evacs today? Cause the line usually spiked when there was a major breakdown and they still let people into the queue. I think them getting it running reliably should be key before trying to max out the capacity.

I don't think I saw any evacs reported today actually? I know it went down to one station at one point though. Still, a pretty big milestone if its got through the day without being evacuated(!).

I might go Monday to see it a 2nd and maybe even a 3rd time if it's not that long. I want one more regular ride and then one without glasses.

Well. I got back, getting my second ride in. They were down to a single station (about 5pm or so), but seemed to be moving at a slightly less glacial pace.

One pet peeve about the ride -- or perhaps about my fellow riders -- is that you can't hear a lot of the dialog taking place during the queue. I have no idea what the shadowy figures are saying just before the pre-show. Even the pre-show isn't always easy to make out with all of the chatter, though I have most of that down. I don't know if this is just a flaw in the queue elements that will need to be amped up or if it's just the psychological dynamics of folks that have been huddling together for hours that forces conversations when steady moving queues are quieter.

Waited about an hour in singles around 5pm today and it was only one station. Another pleasant ride. My friend got her first time and she was just blown away. :)

Yeah. The shadows and the one portait at the back of the bank lobby are very low. Plus there is music playing that I feel is turned too high. But the shadows are harry, ron, hermione (as bellatrix) and griphook sneaking into gringotts. I didnt hear exactly what they were saying.

I'm glad it seems they are getting closer to smooth operation at higher capacity.

I don't quite understand people who, after going to such a highly anticipated attraction during its opening week, will enter a queue with an enormous wait-time posted out front and then act shocked that they had to wait so long. By definition, the wait-time can only get as long as people are willing to wait.

I also think some people are overestimating the negative effect of the publicity of 7.5 hour wait times. Even the thousands of people who have flooded the park in the last 5 days are only a very small fraction of the people hoping/planning/waiting to go. I mean, I only live 2.5 hours away, and I don't know anyone who has been yet. So the annoyance some people may feel at having to wait hours is not effecting the vast majority of the target audience.

In fact, I think the word of the long waits could be a good thing for PR. There was a short article in my local newspaper reporting the 450-min wait, but the sense that came across was "This thing is so popular that, not only are there enough people there to make the line that long, but people love it so much they are willing to wait in it."

As long as things are smooth within a few weeks, they'll come out smelling like a rose.

Last edited:
I don't quite understand people who, after going to such a highly anticipated attraction during its opening week, will enter a queue with an enormous wait-time posted out front and then act shocked that they had to wait so long. By definition, the wait-time can only get as long as people are willing to wait.

I was thinking the same thing. I've seen 3.5 hour lines for Soarin' at Epcot... Finding Nemo Subs at Disneyland.. and I just kept right on walking. :lol: I remember it being a choice.

My frustration wasn't with the line itself as much as it was the constant breakdowns while waiting in line. Then to have the ride break down when you finally board, ugh it wasn't a pretty experience lol. I'm confident Universal will get it fixed, but man it was a mess that day.

Got to ride Friday night. Entered line at 6 (posted 200) and waited 150 minutes, and that's with two large chunks of downtime. I think the ride is great, and I'm really excited to get on it again soon. Complaints about ride length are a product of long wait times, and while some people want it to be more intense, I think it was a great medium. I'm excited that my friends who don't enjoy rough rides (or even FJ for that matter) will be able to ride with me and enjoy it. Not sure if it's my favorite ride at the resort, but it's one of the rides I'll likely do almost every time I'm there.

My frustration wasn't with the line itself as much as it was the constant breakdowns while waiting in line. Then to have the ride break down when you finally board, ugh it wasn't a pretty experience lol. I'm confident Universal will get it fixed, but man it was a mess that day.

Yeah that is a bit different, and I can understand being upset in that situation. I feel for you, lol. Hopefully you (and everyone) get a smooth experience with it soon.

OU just tweeted only 90 minutes for Gringotts right now. It looks like we're finding our groove.

I have a couple questions. First, how does the extended outdoor/covered queue relate to the rest of the line? Is it before the lobby and after the rotunda? Also, for those who have ridden it, where would you say the best place to sit is. Can't wait to be finally riding this thing in a week from tomorrow! Shall be a great birthday.

The extended queue doesn't really have a theme or anything to tie it in with the rest of the line. There are some posters and one of the mine car props from the movie out there which is cool. As for the best seat I would say far right seat on the front row or left seat in the fourth row (from perspective of sitting on the ride). There are only 2 screens where the cars are lined up one behind the other but the action is spread so that it really isn't obstructed for the back car. For the other screens the cars swivel next to each other so first row right seat and fourth row left seat are kinda next to each other in the middle of the screen.