HBO's The Last of Us | Page 12 | Inside Universal Forums

HBO's The Last of Us

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Not sure how I feel about this. I think you leave perfection alone.

Part 2 was an amazing game and I loved it. It’s strange because it’s also something I don’t think I’ll ever play again because of the unrelenting violence. The backlash when it came out was dumb though.
I plan to play through it again as soon as the PS5 version comes out soon.

Ngl, the more I think about this casting the more I dont like it. Dina in TLoU2 is Jewish, it's a huge part of her back-story and to cast a non-jewish person in the role just feels really wrong. I'm sure she'll do a decent job but personally would've preferred an actual jewish actress. Overall, I'm not really vibing with the casting choices for season 2 outside of the actor for Jesse so far, everything else just feels very uninspired/boring.

Last edited:
Ngl, the more I think about this casting the more I dont like it. Dina in TLoU2 is Jewish, it's a huge part of her back-story and to cast a non-jewish person in the role just feels really wrong. I'm sure she'll do a decent job but personally would've preferred an actual jewish actress. Overall, I'm not really vibing with the casting choices for season 2 outside of the actor for Jesse so far, everything else just feels very uninspired/boring.
Nick Offerman also isn’t gay and turned in an award winning performance.

A lot of people said the same thing about casting of Season 1 though (that they weren’t initially feeling it). Show came out and it was great. They’ve earned the benefit of the doubt imo.

Nick Offerman also isn’t gay and turned in an award winning performance.
There's a huge difference between someone not being gay playing a gay character vs someone who isn't of a certain ethnicity portraying a character who is distinctly that ethnicity. Just really off/wrong to basically erase a core element of that character with this casting... Especially ironic since BOTH the creator of TLoU and the showrunner are jewish???

A lot of people said the same thing about casting of Season 1 though (that they weren’t initially feeling it). Show came out and it was great. They’ve earned the benefit of the doubt imo.
Difference being here that the season 1 castings (mainly Pedro/Bella, the only two that people gave a fuss about) didn't remove any of the core elements of those characters as they were in the game. Was Joel Chilean in the game? Of course not. But did it matter? Not really. Literally anyone could play Joel (black, white, Asian, hispanic, etc.) because that character doesn't have any intrinsically ethnic background or characteristics in the games. Pedro just simply fit the part (his role as The Mandalorian/Din proved that enough I would say!) and was in my opinion a very inspired choice considering A LOT of people wanted Josh Brolin, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Hugh Jackman, Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Joel. Will never forget the onslaught of fan-art and FB posts I would see with those actors as Joel. So even though they've done great casting decisions with season 1, doesn't mean I need/should give them the benefit of the doubt with season 2. About the casting of Abby (Kaitlyn) I don't love that choice but I do understand it. She's a great actress and if she bulks up I think it'll work out. But I just can't get behind Isabela as Dina. I'm sure she'll do a decent job though at the very least. Just sad we could've had great Jewish representation with an actual jewish actress but aren't now.

Reactions: grlhowl
There's a huge difference between someone not being gay playing a gay character vs someone who isn't of a certain ethnicity portraying a character who is distinctly that ethnicity. Just really off/wrong to basically erase a core element of that character with this casting... Especially ironic since BOTH the creator of TLoU and the showrunner are jewish???

Difference being here that the season 1 castings (mainly Pedro/Bella, the only two that people gave a fuss about) didn't remove any of the core elements of those characters as they were in the game. Was Joel Chilean in the game? Of course not. But did it matter? Not really. Literally anyone could play Joel (black, white, Asian, hispanic, etc.) because that character doesn't have any intrinsically ethnic background or characteristics in the games. Pedro just simply fit the part (his role as The Mandalorian/Din proved that enough I would say!) and was in my opinion a very inspired choice considering A LOT of people wanted Josh Brolin, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Hugh Jackman, Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Joel. Will never forget the onslaught of fan-art and FB posts I would see with those actors as Joel. So even though they've done great casting decisions with season 1, doesn't mean I need/should give them the benefit of the doubt with season 2. About the casting of Abby (Kaitlyn) I don't love that choice but I do understand it. She's a great actress and if she bulks up I think it'll work out. But I just can't get behind Isabela as Dina. I'm sure she'll do a decent job though at the very least. Just sad we could've had great Jewish representation with an actual jewish actress but aren't now.
I think since Craig and Neil thought she was the right choice, given their Jewish heritage, it gives me more confidence that they thought 100% she was the best actress for the role.

We also need less straight men playing gay men.
I think it worked with Bill though because the way Bill is written leads me to believe he was bisexual more than anything.

Bill didn’t even seem to know he liked men until he met Frank. He likely would’ve never discovered that side of himself had it not been for the outbreak and ultimately relying on one another as partners and Frank pulling the tough exterior off of Bill. I truly do think that Offerman worked perfectly for that character.

In general though, I agree with your sentiment.

Last edited:
In an ideal world where roles are equally distributed, it wouldn't matter if a straight actor was playing a gay person, but the the reality is that historically certain categories of maginalized roles have typically gone to straight, white, or "normative" actors. This is why many people want more parity out of casting and don't, say, get mad when a gay person plays a straight person (because the power dynamic is entirely different).

I think it worked with Bill though because the way Bill is written leads me to believe he was bisexual more than anything.
What???? He's definitely not bi? :skull:
Season 3 What GIF by On My Block

I'd feel a little better about this situation knowing that they DID cast a gay actor to play a gay character - it just wasn't Bill.

What???? He's definitely not bi? :skull:
Season 3 What GIF by On My Block
We saw a snapshot of his life. Only from about mid-life onward. My direct word were ”the way the character was written leads me to believe”. I might be wrong, but we also don’t know anything definitive like you are saying. We’re missing his entire earlier life and from his earlier years the way it was written is what lead me to think that.

What I will give you is the relationship portrayed between Bill & Frank was that of two men in love, living out their days as best as they could

I'd feel a little better about this situation knowing that they DID cast a gay actor to play a gay character - it just wasn't Bill.
Yeah, and that’s only been hinted at in S1. In S2 having two lesbian actress star in a show of this caliber will be both very big for representation, but cause a lot of hate at the same time unfortunately.

Last edited: